• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:
2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Our hobby has an unfortunate history of malfeasance (comic book manipulations, GPA manipulations, auction manipulations, etc, ...)

Colluding ( on certain grades ranges with a consequent spillover effect on other grades ) on one of the most import SA books wouldn't be a stretch at all I would think.

Can't argue there, there will always be folks that are ok with being unethical or doing illegal things. 

Cherry picking auction prices is a form of manipulation.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

Cherry picking auction prices is a form of manipulation.

How about certain boardies that keep on insisting that theres too much supply of af15.   I've done quite well with af15, ever since i've joined the boards.  I've ignored those people.  Market price=supply vs demand.  Tends to be the golden age guys coming over here and making that argument.    Is it just haters being haters?

Edited by Spiderturtle

2 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

How about certain boardies that keep on insisting that theres too much supply of af15.   I've done quite well with af15, ever since i've joined the boards.  I've ignored those people.  Market price=supply vs demand.  Tends to be the golden age guys coming over here and making that argument.    Is it just haters being haters?

People have agendas like everything else in life when money is concerned. When your agenda clashes with another persons then you have a ''fight'' both parties trying to prove their point. Such is life.....there are dealers then there are us collectors we both want what is best for us.....some times you will get a dealer who wants the best for you and him.....then again it's another type of agenda.....but hey that is the nature of business!! There is some good advise usually in both positions (but not always) but take what is useful and try to draw conclusions. Some wish they had purchased one before all this current market increase and some times some of those people want to see the market go down so they can get on board....then they will boost the book and be happy they got on board. I know I feel like that about TEC27 but hey you can't own everything unless you are a wealthy person.....most of us are not wealthy hence why we are happy to see our books increase in value.....I truly don't think a billionaire or even a advanced millionaire cares if he makes a couple grand or whatever.....who cares at that point (they most likely have many other investments than bring in much more money than the comic books they own.....for most of them I assume it's just a hobby they enjoy).  But when you work hard every day to make your purchases it's nice to see the books you own increase in value.....and at the same time enjoy a hobby.....and that applies to most of here!!

Truth be told it's simple with Spidey (or Batman or any other worldwide iconic hero) demand outpaces supply end of story.....and most likely it will for a very long time (I can't use the word forever because some don't like that).

Edited by SC22

I have a friend named Jim who doesn't collect comic books but loves movies and by extension the MCU among other things. He is your average "familar-with-but-doesnt-collect-comic's" type of guy we all know and hang out with. If i want to know what is going to be valuable/go up in price, I ask myself one question: "What would impress Jim?". Its a simple question that never fails, what would impress someone outside of our hobby?  Would Suspense 3 get him? Probably not. Would Tales To Astonish 27 work?  Nope, not very exciting cover and no costumes.  Would AF 15 first appearance of Spider-man with one of the most iconic and widely pop-culture known covers of all time Impress him? Yeah, that's a guaranteed every time affirmative.

Any book that does that or close to, will hold its value or go up. Simple as that. Anything a non-collector can instantly identify as rare/cool/valuable/special by just describing it in one sentence, or just showing a pic of it on your phone, THAT piece is powerful, and THAT PIECE will go up more than others.

I think this plays also into my "Social Media" theory about this books price spike. Take that instant cache homerun book, and add to it beautiful chip free cover with decent color and centering (who cares whats on the inside or back in this scenario), and you get lots of interest and new money coming in, pushing the supply of books that meet that criteria to new record prices.

So I've gotten a few pms folks wanting to buy one of my af15s and my current reluctance to sell. Since I've pmd a few folks my reasoning for holding , thought I'd share...might be a diff perspective from other sellers  ...most won't care but maybe someone will

its already obvious I prefer to make a profit on books I sell, and unlike most sellers I don't sell online, website, eBay etc. I typically only sell at cons and by request (just not motivated to do more)

and I like to have a deep stock at cons....options for buyers, and feeds my ego for having books others don't (helps to feed my con presence ). I don't have customer bases like metro and highgrade and harley, etc so I like to support my "niche". So when I sell a sa key I always consider reacquiring replacement issues (costs and availability) and was it a good/fair deal for both buyer and seller

Im reluctant to sell today because I'm not sure what true fmv is these days. I don't want to sell too high for several reasons....one being new/replacement acquisition cost and second I don't want my customers to overpay if the market is going to correct down. 

Im also reluctant to sell at former/last years  fmv in case the markets upward move holds. Same first reason (replacement costs relative to my retail ) and second would be selling to cheap relative fmv... I do want to sell a book at a fair price relative to the market. 

Maybe im too transparent, maybe no one cares, but there's my perspective on the af15 market and why I'm in a "hold" pattern for the time being. 

Edited by G.A.tor

15 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

Everyone has a perspective.

Older GA guys care less about value and more about the actual books IMO. So when they see AF #15's on every corner but they don't see similar GA keys in such numbers it makes AF #15 look common.

But if someone beats only one drum and doesn't listen, that changes the perception from having a perspective to having a motive.

You can't talk a book like AF #15 down and I don't think that is what anyone is trying to do.

People are just sharing their thoughts on why certain things happen. That's very different than pumping or talking down a book.

5 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

How rare is AF15? Does anyone have an estimate as to how many copies are left?

It's extremely difficult to make a real estimate for multiple reasons.

There was a poll/thread a couple of years ago. The poll was messed up during the migration, but the discussion is still there.

5 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Plenty of copies out there for sale.  Just gotta have the $$$ to buy

There are over 2,700 CGC graded copies of AF15 . BTW, there are only 1400 copies of CGC graded Hulk 1. Rarity is not an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

There are over 2,700 CGC graded copies of AF15 . BTW, there are only 1400 copies of CGC graded Hulk 1. Rarity is not an issue. 

Perhaps. Many are locked up in collections? There seems to be less copies available in the marketplace compared to a couple of years ago....

1 hour ago, piper said:

Perhaps. Many are locked up in collections? There seems to be less copies available in the marketplace compared to a couple of years ago....

Well at least Gator knows where 6-8 are plus his copies in the "holding out for the right price" bin.  I'll watch those copies to see if the prices come down if the market pullbacks.  I'll also watch/listen for the "Gator alert" across the wires if the market uptrend is confirmed.  That being said if people are looking for copies I have 3 low grades currently up for sale.  I don't need my ego stroked from how many copies of a book I currently have in stock.  All that tells me is that the book has slowed down,  I'm overpriced or need to brush up on my selling skills.  

Edited by blazingbob

32 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Well at least Gator knows where 6-8 are plus his copies in the "holding out for the right price" bin.  I'll watch those copies to see if the prices come down if the market pullbacks.  I'll also watch/listen for the "Gator alert" across the wires if the market uptrend is confirmed.  That being said if people are looking for copies I have 3 low grades currently up for sale.  I don't need my ego stroked from how many copies of a book I currently have in stock.  All that tells me is that the book has slowed down,  I'm overpriced or need to brush up on my selling skills.  

I'll go check them out!

58 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

:flamed:

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

There's a  $500,000 8.5 restored AF15 on eBay. Sounds about right. 

It's a bargain!!!111 Can't lose investment!!!111

1 minute ago, NoMan said:
3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

It's a bargain!!!111 Can't lose investment!!!111

Actually I think you'd lose quite a bit  

You missed my humor!!!!11132$#@

:baiting: