• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You missed my humor!!!!11132$#@

:baiting:

You got any Miller DD (158-191) newsstand cgc 9.8 white pages? You can make up for your lack of humor by selling me some :takeit:

Just now, NoMan said:

You got any Miller DD (158-191) newsstand cgc 9.8 white pages? You can make up for your lack of humor by selling me some :takeit:

lol

I'll PM you. (thumbsu

Hmmmm,  I'm not sure if you should sell at this time.  Are the prices on a uptrend?  They might be hard to replace so make sure you have copies lined up to replace the ones you sell.  Make sure there is a buyer/seller remorse clause on the invoice in case the market slips a little.  

7 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

Hmmmm,  I'm not sure if you should sell at this time.  Are the prices on a uptrend?  They might be hard to replace so make sure you have copies lined up to replace the ones you sell.  Make sure there is a buyer/seller remorse clause on the invoice in case the market slips a little.  

Now you're cooking with fire!

Should be interesting to see what the hammer on the Clink 5.0 is.  My guess is still 40-45k.  Then let's see what the Heritage 6.0 goes for in a couple of days.  It's sitting firmly at 43k right about now.  I'm guessing 50-55k.  I'm thinking this my be a bit of a leveling point from the insanity we saw in the CC auctions in March.  

11 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Would Suspense 3 get him? Probably not. Would Tales To Astonish 27 work?  Nope, not very exciting cover and no costumes.  Would AF 15 first appearance of Spider-man with one of the most iconic and widely pop-culture known covers of all time Impress him? Yeah, that's a guaranteed every time affirmative.

Any book that does that or close to, will hold its value or go up. Simple as that. 

+1

the first book I bought when I started collecting was a AF15 CGC 5.5.  I think i got it for about $5k.  I have since hold on to the book along with the others. Maybe now is a good time to sell? :) I began buying lots of books then, I should have used all my money to buy all the AF15 I can get!

On 5/15/2017 at 11:11 AM, G.A.tor said:

So I've gotten a few pms folks wanting to buy one of my af15s and my current reluctance to sell. Since I've pmd a few folks my reasoning for holding , thought I'd share...might be a diff perspective from other sellers  ...most won't care but maybe someone will

its already obvious I prefer to make a profit on books I sell, and unlike most sellers I don't sell online, website, eBay etc. I typically only sell at cons and by request (just not motivated to do more)

and I like to have a deep stock at cons....options for buyers, and feeds my ego for having books others don't (helps to feed my con presence ). I don't have customer bases like metro and highgrade and harley, etc so I like to support my "niche". So when I sell a sa key I always consider reacquiring replacement issues (costs and availability) and was it a good/fair deal for both buyer and seller

Im reluctant to sell today because I'm not sure what true fmv is these days. I don't want to sell too high for several reasons....one being new/replacement acquisition cost and second I don't want my customers to overpay if the market is going to correct down. 

Im also reluctant to sell at former/last years  fmv in case the markets upward move holds. Same first reason (replacement costs relative to my retail ) and second would be selling to cheap relative fmv... I do want to sell a book at a fair price relative to the market. 

Maybe im too transparent, maybe no one cares, but there's my perspective on the af15 market and why I'm in a "hold" pattern for the time being. 

Any indication that your acquaintance or friend with that long-held small box of AF #15s might be tempted to sell considering the season? Or is he a hard-core collector enough to where this won't even phase him?

44 minutes ago, cloudofwit said:

Any indication that your acquaintance or friend with that long-held small box of AF #15s might be tempted to sell considering the season? Or is he a hard-core collector enough to where this won't even phase him?

He has slowly been selling a few here and there. ;)

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

How has your friend been able to foresee that buying as much AF 15's would pay off well in the future?

Last one he bought was in the early 90s I believe 

hes always been a mass buyer. 

20 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Smart buys! Paid off quite well.

There are many things he bought cases and cases  of (like playmates Star Trek action figures ) that aren't worth anything right now. Comics he's done well with. Most of the action figure cases he bought, he hasn't. 

Edited by G.A.tor

25 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

There are many things he bought cases and cases  of (like playmates Star Trek action figures ) that aren't worth anything right now. Comics he's done well with. Most of the action figure cases he bought, he hasn't. 

Hopefully he mixed in a few cases of Early MTG cards too.

51 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

Hopefully he mixed in a few cases of Early MTG cards too.

No mtg that I've ever seen at his house

tons of sw , st, simpsons figures. Old megos. Tons of comics. 

Edited by G.A.tor