• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why has AF15 exploded in value?
9 9

286 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Bronx said:

Will own one someday but not at these prices.  

So I assume you will be waiting to purchase in the future for higher prices? 

Edited by Magneto

1 hour ago, Magneto said:

So I assume you will be waiting to purchase in the future for higher prices? 

7 hours ago, Bronx said:

Will own one someday but not at these prices.  

I think that it's come to the point where you have to liquidate part of your collection to help fund a purchase like this or come unexpectedly into a large sum of money. If I had this kind of money lying around it would be used to be put towards the mortgage, fund a house renovation, go on a cool trip, or put aside for retirement.  

On May 6, 2017 at 1:05 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Spider-Man is the king of silver age heroes.

BTW, The print run argument has nothing to do with AF#15. It is all about demand and #AF's demand is thru the roof!

Spider-Man will always be an iconic character,especially with the Disney machine behind him.

Absolutely...and no one is disputing this and has been the case since the mid 1970's...but what people want to know is why in 2017 has this doubled?  Why has it doubled in a five month period in 2017 when it hasn't since 1962???   That's the million dollar answer.

Jim

Edited by Guardian Comics

48 minutes ago, Guardian Comics said:

Absolutely...and no one is disputing this and has been the case since the mid 1970's...but what people want to know is why in 2017 has this doubled?  Why has it doubled in a five month period in 2017 when it hasn't since 1962???   That's the million dollar answer.

Jim

I think one obvious answer is there is a lack of abundant supply in the marketplace.  Up until last year it was very easy to purchase 5, 10,15+ copies at fmv ( I am not referring to overinflated eBay pricing ) if one so chose to. 

I have seen a lot of dealers holding multiple copies and that is causing a seemingly shortage of supply in the marketplace ,  and so the prices have risen relative to the increased demand and lack of available supply 

But all markets reach equilibrium at some point ...many of these copies will come out for sale , the demand will be satisfied by newly available copies at current fmv,  and I believe that will be a slight pull back in pricing in order for the market to absorb all of the available copies ... not doom and gloom  by any means ,  but definitely a market pricing correction (like we saw in 2009)

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I think one obvious answer is there is a lack of abundant supply in the marketplace.  Up until last year it was very easy to purchase 5, 10,15+ copies at fmv ( I am not referring to overinflated eBay pricing ) if one so chose to. 

I have seen a lot of dealers holding multiple copies and that is causing a seemingly shortage of supply in the marketplace ,  and so the prices have risen relative to the increased demand and lack of available supply 

But all markets reach equilibrium at some point ...many of these copies will come out for sale , the demand will be satisfied by newly available copies at current fmv,  and I believe that will be a slight pull back in pricing in order for the market to absorb all of the available copies ... not doom and gloom  by any means ,  but definitely a market pricing correction (like we saw in 2009)

One would think, that during this summer con season, a flood of 3.5 and below would be made available for sale.  Sell high during summer and buy low during january

But all markets reach equilibrium at some point ...many of these copies will come out for sale , the demand will be satisfied by newly available copies at current fmv

So in other words, market manipulation to a certain degree.

Edited by Gotham Kid

21 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

One would think, that during this summer con season, a flood of 3.5 and below would be made available for sale.  Sell high during summer and buy low during january

Don't think so. For example I've sold 8 copies 2.0-3.5 to one dealer alone in past few years. And he told me he's not selling yet.

heck, I have 6+ 2.0-3.5s and I'm really not selling at the moment either, waiting to see how this current run up shakes out. 

That said, I will have multiple copies at heroes nest month , but I suspect I will be one of the few that do bring hm

5 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

So in other words, market manipulation to a certain degree.

Not really manipulation, per se. Af15 is not a book anyone can manipulate. 

But there are multiple folks that have quantities of inventory that are holding for the time being. A dealer either is buying, selling or holding ...I think many are like me, just holding and waiting , but there really are too many copies of af15 regardless for anyone to Manipulate effectively 

1 minute ago, G.A.tor said:

Not really manipulation, per se. Af15 is not a book anyone can manipulate. 

It can be if multiple dealers collude to hoard as many copies as possible.

Edited by Gotham Kid

You can really tell the poker players on this thread.  So basically when Rick shows up with a bunch of AF #15's for sale those "smart" buyers are going to rush right out and buy them.  Versus knowing that he has been holding out all this time for the "right price".  Yup,  I like that business model.  Hope You Pay Enough.  

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

You can really tell the poker players on this thread.  So basically when Rick shows up with a bunch of AF #15's for sale those "smart" buyers are going to rush right out and buy them.  Versus knowing that he has been holding out all this time for the "right price".  Yup,  I like that business model.  Hope You Pay Enough.  

You Sir, speak Expert Sarcasm.

27 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Collusion being illegal aside , still not sure that can be accomplished with a sa key. Maybe, but I think it's a stretch

Edited by G.A.tor

34 minutes ago, blazingbob said:

I do want to sell on the "rise"/profitably, versus on the decline. I think that's the object of all dealers business model?

and since I like to have multiple copies in stock , I have to consider re-acquisition costs  ...

and a little secret, I pay attention to how bob prices his books ;)

Edited by G.A.tor

16 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:
43 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Collusion being illegal aside , still not sure that can be accomplished with a sa key. Maybe, but I think it's a stretch

Our hobby has an unfortunate history of malfeasance (comic book manipulations, GPA manipulations, auction manipulations, etc, ...)

Colluding ( on certain grades ranges with a consequent spillover effect on other grades ) on one of the most import SA books wouldn't be a stretch at all I would think. Dealers buy from and sell to other dealers all the time.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

Our hobby has an unfortunate history of malfeasance (comic book manipulations, GPA manipulations, auction manipulations, etc, ...)

Colluding ( on certain grades ranges with a consequent spillover effect on other grades ) on one of the most import SA books wouldn't be a stretch at all I would think.

Can't argue there, there will always be folks that are ok with being unethical or doing illegal things. 

I do want to sell on the "rise"/profitably, versus on the decline. I think that's the object of all dealers business model?

and since I like to have multiple copies in stock , I have to consider re-acquisition costs  ...

+1, it's also the goal of collectors too.  Most of my sucess occurs when i hold onto this book for 1-2 years.  Cyclical movement, buy low at +1.5 years ago and sell high now.  Like you said earlier, similar pettern will repeat itself.  

Kind of interesting that one of the books Heritage has in its Platinum Night Auction is a 6.0 copy of AF 15.  Even a couple of years ago, that would have seemed very strange.  I still think it's odd, but I guess if you evaluate it on the likely hammer price, rather than scarcity, it makes sense.