• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did your girlfriend or wife ever bought art for you as a gift ?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Did your girlfriend or wife ever bought art for you as a gift ?

Many art collectors have heard from their girlfriends and wives that it would be too risky to buy them art as a gift. But I'm sure some of you were lucky. Please share your memories of this one time the person that loved you bought a page or ordered a commission as a gift. Maybe from the wrong series or the wrong artist. But it's the thought that matters.

My wife likes my collection and watching sketches get done at cons, but she does not like the price and has not bought me anything yet. She has drawn and colored me some really good stuff, so at least that's something. I did buy my buddy a Rocko's Modern Life page as a gift because we both loved the show and it had Ed Bighead on it, which is a favorite character. It hung on his wall for about a year. His wife hated it from the get go. Last time I asked, it was in a box somewhere. So a wise idea would to not give any muggles comic art because they will never understand it.

My wife bought this for my birthday back in the day. She paid $40 IIRC.

12p9.jpg

A little later she contacted BWS Studio and got this one for my birthday. $400 I think it was. They asked if she wanted it signed and she didn't know to tell them where to put it. Not a big deal to me though, actually kinda sweet.

BWSarcherarmstrong.jpg

My wife bought me a lovely piece this year. The conversation went like this:

"Hey, babe, have you bought me my birthday present this year?"

"No, why?"

"There's this guy over in England, and he has this cover...."

I may have told this story before... I had been drooling over three Bats pages at THR Gallery (Tom Horvitz) for months. I finally saved up enough to email him and pull the trigger only to find out someone had scooped me THAT WEEK! I was devastated as the pages had been there awhile.

I was scouring the net looking for a really expensive consolation prize to dull the pain and my wife was frantic. Apparently, she had bought the pages out from under me as a Christmas gift! But now she was so freaked out I was going to spend the money all over again, that she had to fess up right then and give me the pages early. She dug them out of some hiding place and handed them to me, "Here! Just don't buy anything else!"  I just about fell out of my chair.

The whole thing was emotionally exhausting. I went from excitement to finally being able to afford the pieces, to utter disappointment, to confusion, to elation.

I still think they might be a "me" gift because they're Batman pages, and she's, well, her.

10 hours ago, Hal Turner said:

My wife bought me a lovely piece this year. The conversation went like this:

"Hey, babe, have you bought me my birthday present this year?"

"No, why?"

"There's this guy over in England, and he has this cover...."

lol using this!

From my CAF

Occasionally I'll see here a story about how some wife or girlfriend was amazing and bought an incredible piece of art for their significant other. Every time I saw something like that, I wished that my wife had enough comic knowledge to do the same. Let me be clear, my wife rocks and after 9 years of marriage I'm still super stoked I get to be with her. But, for as supportive as she is about my enjoyment of comics, she doesn't share that passion. Well, this Christmas, she blew me away with this surprise:

I can't be 100% sure because as a kid my love of super heroes didn't actually start with comic books - I didn't start collecting until much later so I didn't really keep track. But one of the very first (if not the first) comics I owned was Superman 121. The story wasn't really action packed (although it's amazing how relevant it still is today), but the cover really grabbed me - very powerful. Well, many years later I learned that cover was hanging in a local comic shop. I'm sure I showed my wife on one of the 2 occasions she's ever been there with me, but I was also sure she was only half paying attention. Boy was I wrong.

Without so much as hinting, she went to the shop and opened a negotiation with the owner to buy it for me. Took her a couple days of calling an going back in, but he finally let it go. An incredible gift and my first OA cover, from possibly the first book I ever owned (did I mention my wife rocks?)

Superman 121 - Cover - resized small.jpg

When I showed my wife the Boris Vallejo painting I was buying she was so taken by it she paid for part of it. That isn't the same as buying something for me but it's in the neighborhood. On a couple of occasions she has bought comic related art for herself which I find very cool for someone who never followed comics. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1371116

Edited by Michaeld
added link

1 hour ago, The Voord said:

Here's all the artwork my wife has ever bought me:

Weird. Somehow my wife got me the same art.

Edited by CartoonFanboy

A word of advice.A few years ago my wife bought me a nice Kirby ,Black Panther page which I really appreciated. As would be the case with just about every piece I own,I traded it towards something more expensive a few years later (that's how I role ) and she was very offended that I would trade off a gift from her and never bought me another piece again.

Some kind of lesson learned here ,but not quite sure what that lesson was.

Edited by rrichards

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 11:38 AM, Thawk said:

From my CAF

Occasionally I'll see here a story about how some wife or girlfriend was amazing and bought an incredible piece of art for their significant other. Every time I saw something like that, I wished that my wife had enough comic knowledge to do the same. Let me be clear, my wife rocks and after 9 years of marriage I'm still super stoked I get to be with her. But, for as supportive as she is about my enjoyment of comics, she doesn't share that passion. Well, this Christmas, she blew me away with this surprise:

I can't be 100% sure because as a kid my love of super heroes didn't actually start with comic books - I didn't start collecting until much later so I didn't really keep track. But one of the very first (if not the first) comics I owned was Superman 121. The story wasn't really action packed (although it's amazing how relevant it still is today), but the cover really grabbed me - very powerful. Well, many years later I learned that cover was hanging in a local comic shop. I'm sure I showed my wife on one of the 2 occasions she's ever been there with me, but I was also sure she was only half paying attention. Boy was I wrong.

Without so much as hinting, she went to the shop and opened a negotiation with the owner to buy it for me. Took her a couple days of calling an going back in, but he finally let it go. An incredible gift and my first OA cover, from possibly the first book I ever owned (did I mention my wife rocks?)

Superman 121 - Cover - resized small.jpg

Awesome cover, awesome story and even more awesome wife.