• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign book variants
1 1

39 posts in this topic

I would say in general it depends

1 hour ago, SteppinRazor said:

I just have one, a random HUlk (268) in Dutch, signed by Sal Buscema.  I have no clue if it's any different value-wise over an American version.

well, assuming its not CGC SS, and the fact that its not a key, the value probably depends largely on the grade/condition.  Generally, it seems that only keys or famous covers really have any value when it comes to foreign comics, although if you found some sort of 'Hulk super completionist', you might squeeze out a little more value upon sale.

Sal Buscema while very awesome, does not have as much mainstream appeal as say 'Frank Miller', who did the cover art for that issue.  IF you have a near mint copy, I'd say you MIGHT be able to get $10 for it if you get the right buyer who is trying to impress his/her Dutch significant other or trying to teach their kids Dutch.  But more likely $2-$5, depending on the condition.  I'd say there's a premium over the American version of 5-10% (maybe more in low-midgrade), but unfortunately the American version isn't worth much...

Edited by revat

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/246349-comic-book-collecting-with-a-foreign-variant-focus/

if you happen to have a budding interest in foreign comics, there is a huge thread in the link presented above.  It is in comics general, and it is glorious.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:35 PM, Beamer said:

You will be surprised how big the fan based is for foreign variants.

Big and getting bigger all the time.  Lots of collectors are finding the thrill of the hunt is not in overpriced comparatively common U.S. variants (which is more about cost than rarity), but in foreign editions.

Here is a facebook group for those who are interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/546995245484226/

Edited by rjrjr

On 5/3/2017 at 9:36 PM, Lazyboy said:

Foreign variants are almost nonexistent. Foreign licensed reprints are abundant.

Exactly, only in North America would you think a foreign comic is a "variant" - to buyers in that country, they're just regular comics.

On 5/4/2017 at 0:35 AM, Beamer said:

You will be surprised how big the fan based is for foreign variants.

I would be very surprised, especially considering I've never even seen a foreign variant. There are probably a few, but they must be exceedingly rare.

16 hours ago, joe_collector said:

I would be very surprised, especially considering I've never even seen a foreign variant. There are probably a few, but they must be exceedingly rare.

There are, but they came out as an imitation of the american ones. They had/have limited print run, and to me they are just a "bad copy" of the original idea (already abused by itself, BTW).

2 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

The term, variant, to describe comics is way overused and sometimes erroneously used these days

The proper use of "variant" is to define the infinite variations of Jeffro.
"Jerkfro" was my favorite one… lol
English is so flexible in this sense… You could never play with words in such a way in Italian.

55 minutes ago, vaillant said:

There are, but they came out as an imitation of the american ones. They had/have limited print run, and to me they are just a "bad copy" of the original idea (already abused by itself, BTW).

Got any examples, as I don't know of any Canadian or UK variants, other than junk Modern manufactured cover variants, which don't count.

43 minutes ago, joe_collector said:

Got any examples, as I don't know of any Canadian or UK variants, other than junk Modern manufactured cover variants, which don't count.

Yes, they are the same. They are modern, of course. I thought you were speaking about these.
Here's one (don’t ask me what it is):
$_57.JPG

Copper? Sorry, I did not notice.
There were, I believe, just a pair in the early 1990s. In Italy we pretty much skipped the Copper Age, as the publisher went bankrupt around 1983-84 (while he was still publishing 1979-81 material) and the new publisher started in 1987 very slowly. By 1993, there were still a huge amount of Copper stories still unpublished that saw the light when in USA we were already in "Modern".