• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foreign book variants
1 1

39 posts in this topic

EH! (Edition Heritage) a French Canadian company,produced b/w reprints with a very few new,in house covers...but I can only recall maybe three or four,i'd have to look in the book.An odd mix,those books.Sometimes Charltons ect would be secondary stories.

Also,they were sort of on the edge of late bronze ,early copper

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

And anyway, the OP wasn’t talking about variants, but about italian editions. Usual misuse of words.

Hey, when someone clearly titles something "Foreign book variants" it's not weird to expect some actual variants.

2 hours ago, vaillant said:

If we can consider yellow instead of purple a "variant" so then… yes, the italian edition of ASM #238 is also a "variant"… lol

Post the Purple Italian one.

6 minutes ago, joe_collector said:

Hey, when someone clearly titles something "Foreign book variants" it's not weird to expect some actual variants.

Re-read his post and you will see that very likely he meant it in terms of foreign editions. Lazyboy replied accordingly in the second post.

7 minutes ago, joe_collector said:

Post the Purple Italian one.

There is none, obviously. Hence, my laughter emoticon. If he was saying "variants" meaning editions, this one qualifies.

Otherwise, as I said, you have to switch to Moderns to find proper variant covers of italian books.

4 hours ago, vaillant said:

Re-read his post and you will see that very likely he meant it in terms of foreign editions. Lazyboy replied accordingly in the second post.

You're correct, I don't have all the lingo down yet, but it's a good evolution of the thread topic

Edited by SteppinRazor

On 5/12/2017 at 1:21 PM, vaillant said:

If we can consider yellow instead of purple a "variant" so then… yes, the italian edition of ASM #238 is also a "variant"… lol

URsc027.jpg

They printed both a purple and yellow version in Italy?  If they only published the yellow version, it is an Italian edition, not an Italian variant.

Comics are a subclass of books.  Editions is a very, very common term in the book world for describing these foreign comics.

On 5/12/2017 at 4:18 PM, vaillant said:

There is none, obviously. Hence, my laughter emoticon. If he was saying "variants" meaning editions, this one qualifies.

Otherwise, as I said, you have to switch to Moderns to find proper variant covers of italian books.

Exactly. (thumbsu

Yea in the early days we used to call them variants.... after much soul searching within the niche though we chose to adopt "edition" as a more accurate classification. As far as pricing the foreign market it is extremely chaotic. Sometimes foreign editions of the same book will sell for more then the American in the same grade. Other times not so much.... depends on a lot of factors. 

On 15/5/2017 at 10:38 AM, rjrjr said:

They printed both a purple and yellow version in Italy?  If they only published the yellow version, it is an Italian edition, not an Italian variant.

Comics are a subclass of books.  Editions is a very, very common term in the book world for describing these foreign comics.

As you have realized, I was obviously joking.
Mostly because when I advocated for clearness of language I met a "wall of resistence" among people insisting on the arbitrary use of the term "variant". :)

1 hour ago, Define999 said:

Yea in the early days we used to call them variants.... after much soul searching within the niche though we chose to adopt "edition" as a more accurate classification. As far as pricing the foreign market it is extremely chaotic. Sometimes foreign editions of the same book will sell for more then the American in the same grade. Other times not so much.... depends on a lot of factors. 

Only if they are effectively rare. As an example, the last issues of the third Spider-Man italian series.
The very last ones, which had a very low print run, can fetch up to $200-250.

(not my books, just to show them)
UkLgAzxh.jpg

On 5/3/2017 at 6:36 PM, Lazyboy said:

Foreign variants are almost nonexistent. Foreign licensed reprints are abundant.

Like any niche, you have to find a buyer.

Almost non-existant...... almost.

Here the same edition with two different covers, from Australia.

page-1-strange-tales-horwitz-1965-series-4-untitled-cover.jpg

page-1-strange-tales-horwitz-1963-series-4-the-impossible-man-cover.jpg