• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“The name’s Connery . . . Sean Connery!”

7 posts in this topic

Last year, as my collecting interests moved towards acquiring movie poster paintings (something I’d always been meaning to get round to), I was lucky enough to chance upon a source for Tom Chantrell original artworks for sale.  Chantrell had been, for many years, one of the UK’s best known and respected artists working in the field of movie poster advertising campaigns.

During the course of my ongoing purchases of Chantrell artworks (with occasional forays into the works of other artists), I often found myself drawn to the image of his poster art for SHALAKO, a 1968 Western movie that saw British actor Sean Connery breaking-away from his more-famous role as the first and the best of the  James Bonds.  The SHALAKO artwork was (then) listed as being available for possible sale (if the right offer was put forward to Chantrell’s family).  Following consultation with Mike Bloomfield, in his capacity as sales agent, I submitted an offer that fell within the ball-park figure advised to me.  Sadly (from my perspective), Chantrell’s family decided that this particular painting held  too much sentimental attachment for them, preferring to retain it, and my offer got declined.

Fast forward to several weeks ago, noted American collector David Mandel contacted me out of the blue enquiring after a piece of artwork I possessed from a British series that he was actively pursuing an example from.  The artwork in question was something  that I wasn’t too fussed about retaining in my collection, so a deal was quickly and painlessly realised.  I then found myself faced with two prospects:  should I just bank the monies received from David and consolidate my early-retirement fund (having become a man of leisure two years ago), or should I try one last time to go after the elusive SHALAKO movie poster artwork?  I wrestled with my conscience for maybe one or two minutes and then quickly contacted Mike Bloomfield with an improved offer to be relayed to the Chantrell family . . .

Within a few days of contacting him once again on the subject of SHALAKO, Mike put forward my revised offer to the Chantrell family, along with a fairly persuasive pitch of how  I’d been supporting Tom’s work this past year with multiple purchases of his original art.  This time I received the answer I was hoping for and (what I personally consider to be) one of Tom Chantrell’s very best movie poster artworks made its way into my collection . . .

The design, as originally painted, was used for the SHALAKO advance poster campaign but for general cinema release was altered in format to accommodate extra caption material (see additional images in my CAF update).  The central images of Connery and Bardot are, to my mind, especially pleasing, captivating your attention right away . . . then your eyes roam round the painting to soak-in the outer series of scenes that capture key elements from the movie.

Although I’ve no claims on being the biggest fan of Westerns (with the notable exception of the Sergio Leone stuff and maybe a handful of other things), SHALAKO was a movie I rather liked.  Not exactly ‘classic’ status, but it has a novel plot that engages the viewer’s interest, is well made and features a top-notch cast of international actors . . . and, boy,  Bardot does looks HOT in this one.  It’s especially pleasing to be able to land an impressive piece of artwork that ties-into a fairly decent movie product that the artwork was designed to promote.  Sometimes I buy these movie poster paintings purely for the image (“Hey, nice painting, pity the movie sucked big time!”), but  I think you can transpose that school of thought to something like comic-books where someone like Jack Kirby produced a lot of great comic-books covers that would often front mediocre stories . . .

Please feel free to check out this update in my CAF Galleries (link below), which also includes  additional images and background information about the movie. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Thanks for looking.

Terry Doyle

Shal 1.jpg

Shalako 1.jpg

Edited by The Voord

I saw the movie, once upon a time and long ago, and remember it as flawed but interesting. Connery was at the height of his powers.

This is a knock-out piece of art, though. I like Bardot better here than in the flick!

Edited by Hal Turner