• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2017 at 3:55 AM, World Devourer said:

In keeping with this, if one of the companies was really clever, they could release a very limited variant of an old issue. For example, to commemorate the anniversary of a classic issue (eg. ASM #50), Marvel might release a variant with a painted cover of the original by a popular artist limited to 100 copies - the catch being ONE copy is only available if a dealer purchases at least 200 copies of something else.

There's gold in them 'thar hills!

DC did that with tech880 (or at least licensed someone to do it) but so far looks like quantities are not so limited.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:12 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is to supplement a bronze age thread I started 7 years ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/194065-1000-is-handed-to-you-to-invest-long-term-in-cgc-bronze-age-what-do-you-do/

We  have gone back to that thread, and we have noticed a lot of bronze age key comic  books have more than doubled in profit, so now I am asking the same question here about moderns. I think it be fun to see what people pick now for investment/speculator purposes.

SO

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1997 to 2017.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts I like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

I will start it off with any mid-grade The Walking Dead CGC  #1 for under a grand.

Very interesting.  I will get back to you with specifixs. But I  think getting some low cost books  with children of heroes or villains., ie Normie Osborn or Dylan Brock.  Good potential for Marvel to do something with them in the next 5 years.   Also, some high priced books that are expected to continue increase in price. 

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

And then be disappointed when they come back from CGC graded lower than advertised.

On any given day that's possible, of course, but more often they'd be quite happy. :baiting:

Still no links to your books huh? Whazzamattawityou??? :roflmao:

4 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

And then be disappointed when they come back from CGC graded lower than advertised.

He would just crack and sell them as 10.0 raws on ebay.

On 5/6/2017 at 10:12 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

This is to supplement a bronze age thread I started 7 years ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/194065-1000-is-handed-to-you-to-invest-long-term-in-cgc-bronze-age-what-do-you-do/

We  have gone back to that thread, and we have noticed a lot of bronze age key comic  books have more than doubled in profit, so now I am asking the same question here about moderns. I think it be fun to see what people pick now for investment/speculator purposes.

SO

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1997 to 2017.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts I like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

I will start it off with any mid-grade The Walking Dead CGC  #1 for under a grand.

Amphoman. Pick up copies for $4 and they’re selling for upwards of $30+ On Heritage, eBay and ComicLink. For some reason you have to search it as “ampho man” on some sites and as one word on others 😂

comiclink-amphoman2 june 2018.png

5 hours ago, amphoman said:

Amphoman. Pick up copies for $4 and they’re selling for upwards of $30+ On Heritage, eBay and ComicLink. For some reason you have to search it as “ampho man” on some sites and as one word on others 😂

High-grade *slabbed* copies of a book selling for $35 isn't a surefire investment. Especially when the username of the person promoting it is the same as the name of the book

5 hours ago, amphoman said:

I love this. Quoting for posterity.

On 8/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

High-grade *slabbed* copies of a book selling for $35 isn't a surefire investment. Especially when the username of the person promoting it is the same as the name of the book

What about this unslabbed copy sold through Heritage Auctions?

doodle 2016 $38.png

On 8/1/2019 at 9:06 AM, amphoman said:

From Indie Comic Review:   

Metrics:

Art: 2/10 [Serviceable, in color, but poor]

Lettering/Layout: 1/10 [A hot mess]

Plot: 3/10 [Simplistic and messy. Heavy-handed writing.]

Novelty: 5/10 [It had a unique premise at least.]

Overall: 2.25/10

Shut up and take my money????