• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

But honestly, if you have credit card debt, use the $1000 to pay of that shyt first. Not sure right now if you have 7-8% student loan debt, because you might be getting some forgiveness from D.C. at some point on that, depending on your income.

22 hours ago, ygogolak said:

:gossip: all comics were Modern at one point.

Sure they are.  But if I am using $1000 and the word 'investment', I'd rather bang it up against a Gold/Silver/Bronze book with some track history.   Same thing I would do when putting money into mutual funds. 

53 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

Sure they are.  But if I am using $1000 and the word 'investment', I'd rather bang it up against a Gold/Silver/Bronze book with some track history.   Same thing I would do when putting money into mutual funds. 

Ah, that says a lot right there. There are aggressive portfolios and conservative. Depends on where you are in life as to what you would choose.

53 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Depends on where you are in life as to what you would choose.

I am the point in life, where I choose not to spend $1000 on an over priced comic book, due to a hyped possible movie appearance, phantom print runs or variant covers. 

Edited by Mercury Man

4 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

I am the point in life, where I choose not to spend $1000 on an over priced comic book, due to a hyped possible movie appearance, phantom print runs or variant covers. 

You totally missed the correlation obviously. Shame because it was relevant. And your comment as to what Moderns consist of also shows a strong lack of knowledge about comics in general.

Edited by ygogolak

Does anyone think chew might come back? I thought it was a fun book (admittedly, I stopped reading around issue 4, but that's a long run for me and my add) and it could probably last a few tv seasons if it was ever a show. Granted, copies are not cheap right now, but have cooled. I guess nobody is dumping them.

On 11/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, ygogolak said:

You totally missed the correlation obviously. Shame because it was relevant. And your comment as to what Moderns consist of also shows a strong lack of knowledge about comics in general.

Good lord, how do breathe sitting so high up on that horse of yours?!   I have been collecting comics since the 1970's.  While my collection pales in comparison to many of the respected vets (of which you are not included), let's not pretend you know me and I know you.  Modern comics are a roulette wheel at best, fueled by a lot of pump and dump, brought about by infomercials and manufactured collectibles in the 1990's, which carry over to ebay and message boards on the net today.  Congrats to those who make a buck.  I'd rather spend $1000 on a decent Silver or Bronze key, that has a track record of value increasing. 

Thanks you for pointing out my 'lack of knowledge'.  You bring so much to the CGC message boards, how shall we ever thank you?!  

high horse 2.jpg

17 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Good lord, how do breathe sitting so high up on that horse of yours?!   I have been collecting comics since the 1970's.  While my collection pales in comparison to many of the respected vets (of which you are not included), let's not pretend you know me and I know you.  Modern comics are a roulette wheel at best, fueled by a lot of pump and dump, brought about by infomercials and manufactured collectibles in the 1990's, which carry over to ebay and message boards on the net today.  Congrats to those who make a buck.  I'd rather spend $1000 on a decent Silver or Bronze key, that has a track record of value increasing. 

Thanks you for pointing out my 'lack of knowledge'.  You bring so much to the CGC message boards, how shall we ever thank you?! 

high horse 2.jpg

Yes, definitely me on the high horse. You've been collecting for a long time but don't understand that modern is a term applied to current day. Not an era specifically devoted to comics. Meaning, that in any currently defined era of comics, they were once considered modern. You continue to belabor that that modern comics are "pump and dump" and hype. Thus, my statement that you are misrepresenting the comics in a blanket statement.

adjective
adjective: modern
  1. relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past.

I've definitely brought more to the Modern section than you. But thank you for your continued fandom of my posts.

Edited by ygogolak

I honestly think $1000 invested wisely could fund a pretty decent ebay side business provided you re-invest a good portion of any profits into new inventory, etc. I've always wanted to do an experiment..spend $500 or $1000 at a show, here, ebay, hunting craig's list, wherever. Keep very good track of what you spent for inventory, And keep all the $ self contained. Where could you be in a year? A lot of rinse and repeat. I clearly do not have the energy to do that given I sit and binge watch Gotham or whatever rather than doing work at home.

20 hours ago, the blob said:

I honestly think $1000 invested wisely could fund a pretty decent ebay side business provided you re-invest a good portion of any profits into new inventory, etc. I've always wanted to do an experiment..spend $500 or $1000 at a show, here, ebay, hunting craig's list, wherever. Keep very good track of what you spent for inventory, And keep all the $ self contained. Where could you be in a year? A lot of rinse and repeat. I clearly do not have the energy to do that given I sit and binge watch Gotham or whatever rather than doing work at home.

This is, essentially, the Donut Business Model.

Convert $1000 into $5000. Rinse repeat.

Edited by FlyingDonut

15 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Yeah, I was quoting you on the rinse and repeat, we just don't have a footnote function here so I did not attribute it.

52 minutes ago, FlyingDonut said:

Absolutely agree. if you have the time and efforts, turn $200 to $1000, but if you dont, turn $1000 to $1200

Nothing wrong with both strategies, but depending on your aspirations