• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2020 at 7:27 PM, Wolverinex said:

To be honest, after some reflection, I don't think investing Comics is a great idea. Instead drop $1,000 and buy a blue chip stock such as AT&T , , Microsoft, Google, Amazon Oh, hell even Tesla. All those have gone so big that they will continue to grow even 20 years from now.

Shopify

I'd take my $1000 and buy a nice page or some nice pages of original art of my favourite character.  Or you could get an awesome sketch done on a ASM#1, #800,  Action #1000, or some other blank variant cover by well-known artists for a couple hundred dollars .  But that's me.

15 hours ago, kimik said:

Buy the hottest and highest price cover variants you can get right away. That is the safest play.................

That's crazy.

You said "variants".

Whatever's the hottest is worth at least $1,000.  You won't be getting two of them.

I don’t really view 5 years as long term. But in a “must be slabbed, must be from 1997-2017, must hold for at least 5 years”...

I’ll take three 9.8 copies of Saga 1 and sleep very comfortably.

6 hours ago, lighthouse said:

I don’t really view 5 years as long term. But in a “must be slabbed, must be from 1997-2017, must hold for at least 5 years”...

I’ll take three 9.8 copies of Saga 1 and sleep very comfortably.

You can have the regular edition. Using the Time Stone I go back and buy up all the Retailer Incentive Editions.

25 minutes ago, crayoncreative said:

You can have the regular edition. Using the Time Stone I go back and buy up all the Retailer Incentive Editions.

You mean "third print variants" released a month after the first prints. :whistle:

Edited by valiantman

6 hours ago, World Devourer said:

We know what he means.

I note your post was edited.

Did someone use the Time Stone and do a number on you? :devil:

I originally said the third print came out "months" after the first print. It might have been two, but I edited it to say "a month".  This particular third print variant exclusive to dealers present at a convention wasn't exactly $4 when they were new.  I don't think a big stack of them could have been had for even $1,000... so the time machine payout would be bigger if you bought 250 first print Saga #1 for $4 each.

Only $1000 to spend?  Rick and Morty #1, regular First Print 2015, in a 9.8, if still obtainable at that price point.   Smash hit show still going strong, cult following, and, most importantly, low, low print run.   Only 695 CGC universal slabs total, of which only 156 are 9.8 blue/universal -- interesting proportion for a recent modern book.  

Edited by Pantodude

Just a few "Modern Age" favorites. Not saying they will make you rich but I think they will all have a place in many collector's boxes. 

Green Lantern 25 (2008) Tons of first appearances that are IMO, significant. (Ivan Reis's work doesn't hurt either.)

Teen Titans 12 

Young Avengers 1 WWLA variant (Good book even if they never came to the MCU). 

ASM 798 Kirkham unknown var. (nice that he's on the front cover). 

Best to go with what you like though. Chances are... if you really love a certain book, so do other collectors. $1000 will get you a few of these books if you're going 9.8