• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2021 at 6:12 PM, Timeless icons said:

Just a few "Modern Age" favorites. Not saying they will make you rich but I think they will all have a place in many collector's boxes. 

Green Lantern 25 (2008) Tons of first appearances that are IMO, significant. (Ivan Reis's work doesn't hurt either.)

Teen Titans 12 

Young Avengers 1 WWLA variant (Good book even if they never came to the MCU). 

ASM 798 Kirkham unknown var. (nice that he's on the front cover). 

Best to go with what you like though. Chances are... if you really love a certain book, so do other collectors. $1000 will get you a few of these books if you're going 9.8 

I love GL 25 too, now settle this for me.... I swear this issue is the 1st appearance of Saint Walker, early design yes, but that’s him right?

C428606E-55B2-4A98-B995-9B906DF831A0.jpeg

6 hours ago, Nazirite said:

I love GL 25 too, now settle this for me.... I swear this issue is the 1st appearance of Saint Walker, early design yes, but that’s him right?

C428606E-55B2-4A98-B995-9B906DF831A0.jpeg

its been a bit since I've read it but I believe it is. Also first Atrocitus and Larfleeze cameo, as well as several Lantern factions. Great book. :x After looking it up online though... a few sources say GL25 and yet another says Final Crisis Rage of the Red Lanterns. 

Edited by Timeless icons

I would try to get a Chew 1, a Goon 1 (Avatar), and maybe something else. I kind of feel like maybe they are off their respective highs (not sure about Goon) and were both good titles with good stories with a lot of potential for other media. I don't see them as books that will die off into full obscurity.

36 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

its been a bit since I've read it but I believe it is. Also first Atrocitus and Larfleeze cameo, as well as several Lantern factions. Great book. :x After looking it up online though... a few sources say GL25 and yet another says Final Crisis Rage of the Red Lanterns. 

Yeah it already has a notation for  Atrocious and Larfleeze. I just sent mine in with a request to put Saint Walker on the label, so will see. I requested they mention the first appearances of the Blue, Orange and Red lantern corps. But I told them if nothing else I wanted Saint Walker. Hopefully all will be well. 

7 minutes ago, Nazirite said:

Yeah it already has a notation for  Atrocious and Larfleeze. I just sent mine in with a request to put Saint Walker on the label, so will see. I requested they mention the first appearances of the Blue, Orange and Red lantern corps. But I told them if nothing else I wanted Saint Walker. Hopefully all will be well. 

The result of your request would be interesting to know. I've never heard of CGC changing stance on label info in the past but then again, I've never really researched such cases. There are so many books that need label updates out there as far as key info goes. I know its a daunting task but it would be nice to see more books being updated in terms of label info for key appearances. Good luck! :wishluck: 

:headbang:

I think I would choose Ultimate Fallout 4.

I feel Miles has lots of long term sustainability plus with this issue being polybagged I don’t think there will be tons of 9.8s.

These 2 reasons should help UF4 9.8s to continue to rise in value. 

I can easily see it being the next ASM 300.

9.6 Ultimate Fallout 4 Variant
Why?
Because Clone Wars #1 is already spec priced in with the Ashoka show. Perhaps a 10-20% bump when it premieres, but how long can Rosario Dawson perform as her...a few seasons? Then once she is out of the live action entertainment loop for a year the value of the book drops.
Whilst UF#4 V has quasi-spec priced in with the PS5 game existing and an animated movie BUTTTT if either Spidey 3 or DS 2 introduce a live action Miles in the Sony / MCU (as there was a slight reference to him in Spidey 1)...it is off to the races.

Edited by umyeahwhatevers

8 hours ago, umyeahwhatevers said:

9.6 Ultimate Fallout 4 Variant
Why?
Because Clone Wars #1 is already spec priced in with the Ashoka show. Perhaps a 10-20% bump when it premieres, but how long can Rosario Dawson perform as her...a few seasons? Then once she is out of the live action entertainment loop for a year the value of the book drops.
Whilst UF#4 V has quasi-spec priced in with the PS5 game existing and an animated movie BUTTTT if either Spidey 3 or DS 2 introduce a live action Miles in the Sony / MCU (as there was a slight reference to him in Spidey 1)...it is off to the races.

My opinion is the recent value increase for CW1 and UF4 are done by the same bunch of collectors. Miles and Ashoka have not hit the big masses still. Ahsoka was in one episode of the Mandalorian and the series has been announced but the character is still pretty unknown even compared to Miles. Also for CW1 there are those SW collectors which maybe are not collecting comics but of course need all the big SW comics.

I would also pick UF4 variant because of the Miles key books it is the number 1. Second is UF4 Newsstand. I think that preview will eventually drop in value.
CW1 regular is third best Ahsoka book after the variant and newsstand but it is still in top 5 of all SW books. UF4 don't come close to top 5 in Spider-man books :D

Edited by godzilla43

"Ahsoka was in one episode of the Mandalorian and the series has been announced but the character is still pretty unknown even compared to Miles." She was a key character in the Clone Wars animated movie and then tv show for years and then was important later in Rebels, that began 12 years ago. So for anyone who was into the animated stuff back then she is kind of a big part of the star wars story. Both my kids basically grew up with her being a pretty important SW character. Anyone who was 14 when clone wars (animated movie) came out is 26 now...

I was not so into clone wars when my now 15 year old was watching it in 2008 onward, but my 9 year old watched them all again last year and I have to say I appreciate them more now.

22 hours ago, the blob said:

"Ahsoka was in one episode of the Mandalorian and the series has been announced but the character is still pretty unknown even compared to Miles." She was a key character in the Clone Wars animated movie and then tv show for years and then was important later in Rebels, that began 12 years ago. So for anyone who was into the animated stuff back then she is kind of a big part of the star wars story. Both my kids basically grew up with her being a pretty important SW character. Anyone who was 14 when clone wars (animated movie) came out is 26 now...

I was not so into clone wars when my now 15 year old was watching it in 2008 onward, but my 9 year old watched them all again last year and I have to say I appreciate them more now.

And I'd add that if kids (and not so kids) were unaware of the clone wars/rebels before, they are now, as so many people signed up for disney+ only to get not much new content and would like to get their $7/mo worth... so one of the things on there a mando fan would see and have years of episodes to watch are those two cartoons. 

Well I actually grabbed this today I think it’s an absolute classic . With age it gets better and it’s significance on all comic story telling was game changing . I can’t see how this book didn’t usher in the modern era of comics and has to be the greatest Batman story ever told .... at least to me . 

Oh did I mention it’s actually a dark gritty Batman on these pages !

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns first print 

CGC 9.8 

43A15A77-EBD3-4892-9B8B-67672066FCC6.png