• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

I think there's a fundamental problem with the question. $1,000 doesn't buy anything of note - certainly nothing that is going to SIGNIFICANTLY increase long-term.  

The best gems have already gone past the 1K mark. Even those that per GPA are technically under this level, such as Wolverine #145 Nabisco variant, will exceed this in the next "off the books" sale.

On ‎5‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:03 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I think one to grab that isn't a variant, something obscure, or an obvious first appearance is Tec 880, which is also surprisingly tough in a blue 9.8 (only 88 on the census out of 360+ copies total).

-J.

Tough sell there. I see your logic, but just hard to make that long term argument. Money can always bring out more copies if it continues to rise.

8 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Apparently Marvel has publicly stated they are going to roll back the whole forced diversity thing. Whether that impacts relatively established characters like Miles is hard to say.... assuming they follow through, but looking at the shambles their current lineup is in, I don't see why they would double down. Outside of stupidity anyway.

Yeah until the whole return to normal thing is over I wouldn't be buying UF4 unless you really like to gamble. That and the $5 store fiasco didn't help either. I am fan just not of that variant right now.

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah until the whole return to normal thing is over I wouldn't be buying UF4 unless you really like to gamble. That and the $5 store fiasco didn't help either. I am fan just not of that variant right now.

Agreed.  But I was permanently spooked off from the variant to Ultimate Comics Fallout 4 when I learned it was one of the books sold at under cover price to retailers three years before the Five Below debacle even: :tonofbricks:

-J.

Screenshot_2016-03-18-18-00-33.thumb.png.ec567312dd80c506dac65427a50ba1a8.png

Edited by Jaydogrules

I'm far from a Moderns expert, but two things I haven't seen mentioned that I like are that Life with Archie 23 first afterlife thingie, and the Darby Pop Bruce Lee series, the latter mostly because I don't think there was much of a print run and Lee has a dedicated and perpetual fan base outside of comics that can also drive it. Just a thought. (shrug)

I think NYX#3 has the best potential.  They'll keep her around for a long time.  

I like the LoS Hughes as I think it's just a superb cover, but I wouldn't spend my 1K on it. 

WD #1 is the obvious choice but it could take a downturn to when the series ends and depending on how it ends.  Kirkman could single-handedly ruin the back issue market in a single page. 

8 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

How about the first appearances of Silk, Spider-Gwen and Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel?

I personally would load up on these long-term. Think Elektra.

Any thoughts?

I'm with you on all of them. All are relatively cheap even today. I bought heavy on Edge of Spider-verse#2 when they first came and sold quite a few. I still have lots of ASM #4 and I have a feeling that Silk could be the biggest of the bunch. I also went heavy on CM #17. I'm not sure what Kamala's 1st appearance is #14 or #17 or Ms Marvel #1 (full) or ANMNPO, but I had a lot of the 1st and 2nd print of #17. I also have at least 10 copies of all of their #1s. Hopefully they end up with some great stories to push them over the edge....of Spider-verse.... lol  

I think buying modern keys and expecting huge returns in 5 years will be tough.  But if you can buy 60 overstock CGC 9.8s of blue chip characters you may be able to see a good return if the low print run keeps the number of 9.8 copies very low.  Even if only a couple explode in popularily there should be people wanting to build a complete set that are willing to pay $50 in 5 years (especially if CGC grading cost go up again in the future).

33 minutes ago, the authority said:

I'm with you on all of them. All are relatively cheap even today. I bought heavy on Edge of Spider-verse#2 when they first came and sold quite a few. I still have lots of ASM #4 and I have a feeling that Silk could be the biggest of the bunch. I also went heavy on CM #17. I'm not sure what Kamala's 1st appearance is #14 or #17 or Ms Marvel #1 (full) or ANMNPO, but I had a lot of the 1st and 2nd print of #17. I also have at least 10 copies of all of their #1s. Hopefully they end up with some great stories to push them over the edge....of Spider-verse.... lol  

+1 Silk for the win!

I would stick with key issues with low print runs.  I would stay away from varient covers and 2nd prints.   I would put the money into #1 issues/first appearances that might become or have become TV shows or movies.  Off the top of my head I would consider the following (All are CGC 9.8 blue universal):

Preacher #1.  The price has almost dropped 50% in the last year so it might be a good time to purchase a CGC 9.8 copy.  Season 2 starts in June and if the show takes off who knows how high the price might go.

Scalped #1 - I"m pretty sure there are less than 100 copies in CGC 9.8 condition.  This is a great read and if it actually becomes a TV show the price should go way up.

Walking Dead #2 -  Less than a year ago you could purchase a CGC 9.8 copy for less than $1,000.  The current price is around $1,500 but if you look around you might be able to find one for $1,200.    There is a chance the price could drop under $1,000 and if it does it would be a smart buy.  The print run for issue #2 was 6,067 copies and it's not that easy to find in CGC 9.8 condition.  

Walking Dead #79 - Unless you are collecting a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead run you would probably not know how hard this issue is to find in CGC 9.8 condition.  From issues #1 -#100 this is the hardest issue to find in 9.8 condition.  As of today there are only 31 copies graded 9.8.  The last copy sold for $400 on EBAY.   Raw copies don't cost much.  If you can find a raw 9.8 candidate you could hit the jackpot if CGC gives it a 9.8.  Raw copies can be found for under $20 but you will only make money if it hits a 9.8   CGC 9.6 copies can be had for $50.

Invincible #1 -  If the movie actually happens it will easily go over $1,500.  A copy just sold on EBAY for over a $1,000.  Great read and not that easy to find in 9.8 condition.- 

Y the last Man #1 - If a TV show or movie actually happens this will easily double the current value.  You can currently purchase a CGC 9.8 copy for around $600.  This is a great read and it should stay popular for a long time.

Edited by raybowles

2 hours ago, the authority said:

I left out one other thing that came to me as I pressed submit. Trends and opinions can strongly change. When i was young up until maybe 10 years ago, a 2nd print was considered a reprint, not a variant. They, like almost everything that has duplicates and originals, were worth next to nothing. A big push took place on the internet and now some of them bring more than the original 1st prints. I will never but a person who will pay more than cover (other than to immediately resell) for a latter print but their are now many people who do. I would almost guarantee that no one predicted the marketing and lobbying that it took to make this happen, would happen. You can't predict the future, only make educated guesses. Read more books. (thumbsu

Reprints are still considered reprints  (although some reprints also themselves have actual variants).  People are usually going after them simply because they are more "rare" than the first prints.  Whether or not this current niche collecting or mentality will hold long term or becomes more widespread remains to be seen.  I personally do not purchase reprints unless I absolutely love the cover.  But I won't pay much more than $50 for one even if I do love the cover.  Because at the end of the day, if you're buying a first appearance or a #1 issue of something as a reprint, you're not actually getting that first appearance or that #1 really, are you?

You're getting the reprint of it.  

-J.

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Reprints are still considered reprints  (although some reprints also themselves have actual variants).  People are usually going after them simply because they are more "rare" than the first prints.  Whether or not this current niche collecting or mentality will hold long term or becomes more widespread remains to be seen.  I personally do not purchase reprints unless I absolutely love the cover.  But I won't pay much more than $50 for one even if I do love the cover.  Because at the end of the day, if you're buying a first appearance or a #1 issue of something as a reprint, you're not actually getting that first appearance or that #1 really, are you?

You're getting the reprint of it.  

-J.

99% of the time, you're right.  But there are some 2nd prints that are "better" than the firsts.  McSpidey #1 is the prime example.  I'll sell the green or black first print for $5/ea.  The gold 2nd print sells for $20.  I have no idea why, but it does.