• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, jreezy said:

Walking Dead has probably peaked IMO.

In terms of most upside. Saga #1. Sure the RRP is the book to own for that series, but that book well over 1k .

I do like BA12 and NYX 3 as picks.

You will be surprised how WD 1 hasn't peaked. I remember a time when people said TMNT 1 peaked too!

On 5/10/2017 at 10:16 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Captain Marvel #17. But that's a special case, because the new cover is the important aspect.

It will be interesting to see, assuming Valiant's multi-media efforts spark more interest in the comic line amongst comic fans, whether the issues that sold out from the distributor far enough in advance for a second print to be available for the same ship date as the first print are more sought-after than the first prints, since they'll have a lower print run and technically wouldn't qualify for not being a first appearance of whatever character might appear in the issue, since they both shipped the same day.

Strange thought but do you think it would be pretty collectible if, for example, DC reprinted Wonder Woman or Aquaman's first appearance with alternate cover art? I realize we're talking about a substantially delayed reprint there and a modern would have a fraction of the original's value but I do wonder if the Millenium editions were hindered by reusing the original covers, which didn't emphasize the important aspects of those issues.

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:

You will be surprised how WD 1 hasn't peaked. I remember a time when people said TMNT 1 peaked too!

I remember when I paid $1,200 for WD #1 in CGC 9.8 condition and that night I read on the boards how WD#1 had peaked.  Over the next couple of years I heard the same thing mentioned ample times as I watched the price go from $1,200 to $1,500 to $2,000, to $2,500, and now $3,000.  People need to remember that the print run for issue #1 is less than 7,500 copies.  Plus the  TV show  is a huge hit and will probably be on TV for at least 5 more years.  I'm sure it will be followed with a movie or two plus there is already one Walking Dead spinoff on AMC.  Walking Dead will be with us for many years to come.

I work in a Federal Building with about 1,000 people.  You would be astonished on how many people watch this show.   It's the one show that pretty much every group/age enjoys.  The TV show and comic is truly something special and I doubt we will see anything comparable to it for a long time.

Edited by raybowles

1 minute ago, raybowles said:

I remember when I paid $1,200 for WD #1 in CGC 9.8 condition and that night I read on the boards how WD#1 had peaked.  Over the next couple of years I heard the same thing mentioned ample times as I watched the price go from $1,200 to $1,500 to $2,000, to $2,500, and now $3,000.  People need to remember that the print run for issue #1 is less than 7,500 copies.  Plus the  TV show  is a huge hit and will probably be on TV for at least 5 more years.  I'm sure it will be followed with a movie or two plus there is already one Walking Dead spinoff on AMC.  The Walking Dead will be with us for many years to come.

I work in a Federal Building with about 1,000 people.  You would be astonished on how many people watch this show.   It's the one show that pretty much every group/age enjoys.  The TV show and comic is truly something special and I doubt we will see anything comparable to it for a long time.

Agreed. It's has changed from a small indie comic to a cultural phenomenon, no turning back now.

I'll vote for Ultimate Spider-man (2000) #1 White Variant.  You can get several CGC graded copies under $1,000.  It represents a whole genre of reboots and rare variants with modernized storylines, and coincides with the first successful movies, and is actually cheaper than it has been in the past.

Those are all the kinds of things you want when you "invest".  Very few of the books being mentioned can be described as "buy low, sell high" because they are already at their highest points.  Ultimate Spider-man #1 White Variant isn't at its all-time high.  It's in a dip on its sales chart and now approaching 20 years old... that's when you buy.

It has been brought up a couple of times already but im in the Invincible 1 cgc9.8 camp..low print run , low census to this point and tv show /movie potential. 850 gpa 90 day avg trending higher. Very few if any ever on the bay..its 2k soon!

1 hour ago, Wipple said:

It has been brought up a couple of times already but im in the Invincible 1 cgc9.8 camp..low print run , low census to this point and tv show /movie potential. 850 gpa 90 day avg trending higher. Very few if any ever on the bay..its 2k soon!

100% agreement.  If the movie actually happens I think it has a great chance to hit $2,000.

11 hours ago, oakman29 said:

I have to agree with this one. There will be probably multiple Walking Dead movies after the series ends,plus I just started playing The Walking Dead video games, and those are very fun as well. I can see Walking Dead,especially the early issues CGC 9.8 hitting in the $2000-$5000 range in 20 to 25 years. I am pretty sure Walking Dead #1 will at least double in price. Walking Dead is a cash cow like Pokemon. I don't see ever disappearing like Lost the TV series did. 

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

4 minutes ago, raybowles said:

100% agreement.  If the movie actually happens I think it has a great chance to hit $2,000.

100 percent agree with this one. Just read the first year and a half of Invincible  on Comixology, and wow!

I was missing out on another great Kirkman series.

1 hour ago, Wipple said:

Is the print run lower than The Walking Dead #1?

11 hours ago, raybowles said:

I remember when I paid $1,200 for WD #1 in CGC 9.8 condition and that night I read on the boards how WD#1 had peaked.  Over the next couple of years I heard the same thing mentioned ample times as I watched the price go from $1,200 to $1,500 to $2,000, to $2,500, and now $3,000.  People need to remember that the print run for issue #1 is less than 7,500 copies.  Plus the  TV show  is a huge hit and will probably be on TV for at least 5 more years.  I'm sure it will be followed with a movie or two plus there is already one Walking Dead spinoff on AMC.  Walking Dead will be with us for many years to come.

Agreed.

It is one of the most talked about subjects on Social Media. Social Media is such a huge factor nowadays in popularity and not something to be ignored when we are talking about popularity.  

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

46 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

100 percent agree with this one. Just read the first year and a half of Invincible  on Comixology, and wow!

I was missing out on another great Kirkman series.

The first few years were really fun.  

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Is the print run lower than The Walking Dead #1?

No, the print run for Walking Dead #1 is lower.  Here are the numbers:

Walking Dead #1 - 7,266 copies.

Invincible #1 - 10,751 copies.

As you can see the print runs are very low for both titles.

Edited by raybowles

38 minutes ago, raybowles said:

There we go. Our first two blue-chips for the modern age. Low print runs, and high demand. 

1 hour ago, raybowles said:

Those numbers are estimated distribution to North American Direct Market retailers in the month they were released.

Not that the print runs are likely to be much higher than that, but those are not print runs.

On 5/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

How about the first appearances of Silk, Spider-Gwen and Kamala Khan as Ms. Marvel?

I personally would load up on these long-term. Think Elektra.

Any thoughts?

Spider Gwen is a no brainer. She's not going away anytime. From all the new characters created in the past 5 years she's the only one that has the biggest fan base and biggest merch line: shirts, toys, action figs, games, wallets, costumes, books, record... Shes a marketing giant. 

I sold all my raw EOSV2 and kept 3 9.8s. I know that in the future I'll kick myself in the head for not sitting on them all

8 hours ago, raybowles said:

Even if higher, Invincible has never had a following like WD and it's in the mid-100s.  

If there is a movie, the price will be out of the roof.  Including a number of other issues.  Going to be tough for people to put a collection together.  

I genuinely bought this all the way back to when the MOTU Preview came out.  And I never thought it would see the bigscreen.  Had the opportunity to buy more #1s when the interest was small.  Smacking myself for not buying them when I saw them. 

Patrick

First off, I am enjoying this thread and all the debate it is stirring. So I must ask...

The OP asked for long-term investment suggestions. So who is going to pay $2k in 10+ years for a $1k incentive variant of a popular cover artist?  

What am I missing here?  <-- honest question.  

Because it seems to me that such a thing has not happened and to predict it falls outside the scope of investment. 

3 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

First off, I am enjoying this thread and all the debate it is stirring. So I must ask...

The OP asked for long-term investment suggestions. So who is going to pay $2k in 10+ years for a $1k incentive variant of a popular cover artist?  

What am I missing here?  <-- honest question.  

Because it seems to me that such a thing has not happened and to predict it falls outside the scope of investment. 

The OP characterizes long term as 5 years I think. But your point is well taken.