• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Bird said:

I think generally decent bets although no one knows if covers will continue their climb but then again no one knows anything about the future. 51 interests me though...with the end of LOST don't you think that its' day has come and gone. There were $300 9.8 sales in 2016 but nothing approaching that since. It is a great cover so that will never change.

That's a decent question, are the lost numbers adding to the collectibility or is it just a fun quirk?

4 hours ago, Sam I am said:

Dr. Aphra has exploded, but still has tons of upside.

Another SW pick I have to look into socking a few away is Poe Dameron #13 1st Mr Bones in comics    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mister_Bones

Snap Wexley's childhood companion from the new (canon) novel Aftermath

In a post-Singularity world the droids seem to be a good bet. K2SO was one of the most popular characters out of Rogue One (of course BB8 too). 

Risky that Mr Bones appears first in the novel, but the character is just too cool to keep out of future movies and his personality was grounded in a popular video game droid HK-47

Here are my picks, call this betting the false bottom of diversity in comics...  with the best blend of eBay sold/parked prices I could find (probably a longer timeframe too, say 10+ years): 
CGC 9.8 Saga 1 $400-450 or (3) raw NM+ copies for 120ea

CGC 9.4 Ultimate Fallout 4 1st Miles Morales Djurdjevic variant or CGC 9.8 Ultimate Fallout 4 Reg  ~250; $220-300

CGC 9.8 Edge of Spiderverse 2 (Spider Gwen) ~$180

CGC 9.8 Darth Vader 3 1st Aphra, 000, BT1 ~$80-90 (and gobbling up NM+ #4 2nd appearance)

CGC 9.8 Spawn #9 ~$90 1st Medieval Spawn, 1st Angela (can also gobble up NM+ copies on the cheap)

420, 250, 180, 90, 90 = $1030

On 5/12/2017 at 7:58 AM, Wipple said:

It has been brought up a couple of times already but im in the Invincible 1 cgc9.8 camp..low print run , low census to this point and tv show /movie potential. 850 gpa 90 day avg trending higher. Very few if any ever on the bay..its 2k soon!

Not to mention that it's a difficult book to keep in mint condition.  $2k for a 9.8 is just around the corner.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:42 AM, Wolverinex said:

I just think the invincible movie will be a flop.. Geez Seth Rogan???  Do you remember Green Hornet... just awful.

I haven't seen Green Hornet, but Rogan and Goldberg have collaborated on some pretty good films.  Sausage Party, This is the End, 50/50, Superbad, Knocked Up.  With the source material they have, I think they have a pretty good shot at making a hit.

On 5/13/2017 at 11:33 AM, SquareChaos said:

I have to imagine Rogen is just producing. As with the Preacher television show. Assuming this thing ever even sees the light of day, which is always a long shot. 

I never read the Preacher series, but I'm really enjoying the show.  Very good casting.

7 minutes ago, Ecranu said:

I never read the Preacher series, but I'm really enjoying the show.  Very good casting.

A lot of people did not like the casting of Tulip, but Ruth Negga is a really fine actress and even though she isn't Tulip as I remember Tulip, she has truly grown on me.

Some of us didn't like the casting, or some of the characterization, of Jesse either. But considering the 1st season is really just a prologue to where the comic picks up I think people that are big fans of Preacher should cut it some slack and just enjoy the ride.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:55 PM, followtheleader said:

Even if higher, Invincible has never had a following like WD and it's in the mid-100s.  

If there is a movie, the price will be out of the roof.  Including a number of other issues.  Going to be tough for people to put a collection together.  

I genuinely bought this all the way back to when the MOTU Preview came out.  And I never thought it would see the bigscreen.  Had the opportunity to buy more #1s when the interest was small.  Smacking myself for not buying them when I saw them. 

Patrick

It will go through the roof IF the character is well loved by the general public...If the movie sucks and the character unlikable then it won't.  

Edited by Drbearsec

On 5/11/2017 at 7:44 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Harbinger: Renegade and A&A (odd, both of Rafer Roberts' series, but maybe there are more). Link for Renegade below. I was looking for a link for A&A but they're not readily available. My guess is that they intentionally limited the print run of the "first" print so they could have a "second" print available as another variant on the release date, but that's just speculation. It would be smart marketing in the current market, and Atom and/or Hunter are smart guys.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/08/harbinger-renegade-1-sells-out-46000-print-run-gets-second-print-at-same-time-as-first/

Valiant is one of the companies I heard that prints those 2nd prints along with the 1st prints for the exact reason you mentioned above; it is good marketing to sell out of the 1st print and they immediately can rush a 2nd print with a different cover.  I believe I read this on Bleeding Cool a year or so back or one of the bazillion other comic news sites.  I'll do some digging and see if I can find the article.

On 12/05/2017 at 2:03 PM, World Devourer said:

Well, that question opens the door to the variants.  You may be lucky and find a Punisher #2 Opena variant (2014) for less than 1K, which would be a good pick. Any other FUTURE ultra-rare MARVEL variants that are at least 1:500 + are also possible picks when they first appear. Rarity is the key here. This is what buyers gravitate to. 

Again, the OP's question is flawed. The BEST investments that can net real profit are all 1K +. 

What are they? Just refer to Jay's list. The "rarity" factor is undeniable.

People thinking they will make a fortune off newcomers (eg. Silk) will be disappointed as here the inverse is true - sheer quantity kills appreciation. Just reference Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn in comics)  on GPA. 

Save your pennies, be patient and go for the 9.8 W (nothing less - hundreds if not thousands of buyers/sellers are wasting their time with Modern 7.0 - 9.2) when it finally appears and then hold it for at least 3 years. The rate of appreciation both at GPA and on these boards is again, undeniable.

Again, however, be sure it is scarce. Don't get bidding fever just because a character is going to make their film/tv debut. Try for the variant of ASM #688 instead.

Beyond the scope of the original question, but that, with respect, is my opinion.

Reposting since the discussion eased into variant territory.

On 5/14/2017 at 3:12 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Yep. Real good picks. I really think the new characters in the Star Wars books are sleepers.

+1 

I am all about Saga 1, still don't have an RRP for myself. The book just continues to climb, and eventually Hollywood will come calling. A 9.8 of the regular cover is selling for, what, $400 now? It's really easy to see this becoming a $1k book before long.

And I like the idea of the SW books as well, because the potential for movie/merchandise is enormous, and they're all still pretty cheap right now. Good calls on both!

14 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

+1 

I am all about Saga 1, still don't have an RRP for myself. The book just continues to climb, and eventually Hollywood will come calling. A 9.8 of the regular cover is selling for, what, $400 now? It's really easy to see this becoming a $1k book before long.

And I like the idea of the SW books as well, because the potential for movie/merchandise is enormous, and they're all still pretty cheap right now. Good calls on both!

$1k for the regular cover?

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

$1k for the regular cover?

If a movie happens, sure!

Again, it's all speculation with play money. 

1 hour ago, SquareChaos said:

There are a ton of Saga 1 9.8 (reg) - I'm not a buyer at current prices personally.

Can't blame you!  With a 37k print run, there's no short supply.

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

If a movie happens, sure!

Again, it's all speculation with play money. 

Yea, that could be said with any comic.

To put it in perspective there are over 2,000 Saga 1 9.8's on the CGC census. Batman Adventures 12 there are almost 600 9.8's. BA 12 is a much, much more well known character from the Big 2 that has been in a movie and has another coming. It's hovering around $1,500-1,600 right now.

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yea, that could be said with any comic.

To put it in perspective there are over 2,000 Saga 1 9.8's on the CGC census. Batman Adventures 12 there are almost 600 9.8's. BA 12 is a much, much more well known character from the Big 2 that has been in a movie and has another coming. It's hovering around $1,500-1,600 right now.

That white cover is just so forgiving that I can see a lot more 9.8s popping up if the book keeps going up.  I'd think $500-$600 may be the cap but I thought Walking Dead 1 had a cap much below it's current price

I wouldn't invest any money into any Variant cover as far as I can throw it! I don't care how rare it is.  Rare doesn't guarantee demand.  

Pay more attention to demand. 

I'd get a NYX 3 since it was hot before X-23 was announced to appear in Logan, the announcement just added to the attraction.  Best of all? Doesn't have any variant covers.  

Walking Dead 1 is a "wait and see" once the shows ends, and it will. 

Saga 1 is a good choice and still expensive on it's own even with a variant out there.  

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Its the half cup empty/full perspective with Saga

Some think that its in a bubble currently because there are so many graded

Some think it will do well long run BECAUSE it has so many available/graded and the prices havent come down with that in mind

This is kinda where I'm at with my thinking, but again, I'm adding the caveat that with a media tie-in, it could hit 1k. It's true that there are plenty of them out there, but it's also an insanely popular series. Add a little Hollywood presto, and I think it could hit 4 figures.