• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

In keeping with this, if one of the companies was really clever, they could release a very limited variant of an old issue. For example, to commemorate the anniversary of a classic issue (eg. ASM #50), Marvel might release a variant with a painted cover of the original by a popular artist limited to 100 copies - the catch being ONE copy is only available if a dealer purchases at least 200 copies of something else.

There's gold in them 'thar hills!

9 hours ago, World Devourer said:

In keeping with this, if one of the companies was really clever, they could release a very limited variant of an old issue. For example, to commemorate the anniversary of a classic issue (eg. ASM #50), Marvel might release a variant with a painted cover of the original by a popular artist limited to 100 copies - the catch being ONE copy is only available if a dealer purchases at least 200 copies of something else.

That is essentially what Valiant did with Book of Death and the companion mini-series Legends of the Geomancer. First issue was distributed as a 25:1 and the subsequent issues as a 10:1, but with new content, not reprints.

12 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Exactly. What we have now is a commercially-refined hobby for the affluent. Initially this was a novelty for companies (eg. coloured variants of Legends of the Dark Knight #1 at DC, metallic covers at Marvel and different coloured logos at Valiant) but has now become a viable self-sustaining sub-market.

The only book I can think of that falls into this category was X-O Manowar #15, and I believe that was distributed free as an insert or something like that. In other words, there was only one version available through the normal retail channels.

5 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

The only book I can think of that falls into this category was X-O Manowar #15, and I believe that was distributed free as an insert or something like that. In other words, there was only one version available through the normal retail channels.

From memory there was also an issue of Turok with a pink logo.

On 7/14/2017 at 3:55 AM, World Devourer said:

Didn't Marvel do exactly this with the ASM 300 Chromium variant?

Released in 1996 and even near mint raws sell for $400-$600.

Spawn B+W # 1 is another example. 

I can't vouch for this, but Recalled Comics says Spawn B+W # 1 was a 1:50 incentive tied to orders of Spawn # 65.

Edited by Gatsby77

I agree with ASM 361. ASM 300 and I think NM87 as well. But there is no scrying glass, just hope. You never know what will take off, maybe the Hulu cartoons are huge and in 10 years Modok reigns supreme!!!

22 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

With an awesome design and great part in "Into the Spider-Verse" EOSV 2 main and Land covers are as good as anything.  But I really don't know if they've figured out anything worthwhile to do with her in comics.

I haven't read Marvel books in a while. Is she still in her own timeline, or have they incorporated her into the Marvel Universe yet?

15 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I haven't read Marvel books in a while. Is she still in her own timeline, or have they incorporated her into the Marvel Universe yet?

(shrug) I can't follow the back and forth. Miles too.

Whatever happened to that Vision series with a wife and two kids in the suburbs?  That was hot for a while, are people not into that anymore?  Immortal Iron Fist, Hawkeye... they all have their time in the sun, and then fade away.  Buyer beware.