• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Reprints are still considered reprints  (although some reprints also themselves have actual variants).  People are usually going after them simply because they are more "rare" than the first prints.  Whether or not this current niche collecting or mentality will hold long term or becomes more widespread remains to be seen.  I personally do not purchase reprints unless I absolutely love the cover.  But I won't pay much more than $50 for one even if I do love the cover.  Because at the end of the day, if you're buying a first appearance or a #1 issue of something as a reprint, you're not actually getting that first appearance or that #1 really, are you?

You're getting the reprint of it.  

-J.

Not the case with Captain Marvel 17 2nd print! rare case.

46 minutes ago, chrisco37 said:

99% of the time, you're right.  But there are some 2nd prints that are "better" than the firsts.  McSpidey #1 is the prime example.  I'll sell the green or black first print for $5/ea.  The gold 2nd print sells for $20.  I have no idea why, but it does.

Captain Marvel #17. But that's a special case, because the new cover is the important aspect.

It will be interesting to see, assuming Valiant's multi-media efforts spark more interest in the comic line amongst comic fans, whether the issues that sold out from the distributor far enough in advance for a second print to be available for the same ship date as the first print are more sought-after than the first prints, since they'll have a lower print run and technically wouldn't qualify for not being a first appearance of whatever character might appear in the issue, since they both shipped the same day.

11 hours ago, raybowles said:

I would stick with key issues with low print runs.  I would stay away from varient covers and 2nd prints.   I would put the money into #1 issues/first appearances that might become or have become TV shows or movies.  Off the top of my head I would consider the following (All are CGC 9.8 blue universal):

Preacher #1.  The price has almost dropped 50% in the last year so it might be a good time to purchase a CGC 9.8 copy.  Season 2 starts in June and if the show takes off who knows how high the price might go.

Scalped #1 - I"m pretty sure there are less than 100 copies in CGC 9.8 condition.  This is a great read and if it actually becomes a TV show the price should go way up.

Walking Dead #2 -  Less than a year ago you could purchase a CGC 9.8 copy for less than $1,000.  The current price is around $1,500 but if you look around you might be able to find one for $1,200.    There is a chance the price could drop under $1,000 and if it does it would be a smart buy.  The print run for issue #2 was 6,067 copies and it's not that easy to find in CGC 9.8 condition.  

Walking Dead #79 - Unless you are collecting a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead run you would probably not know how hard this issue is to find in CGC 9.8 condition.  From issues #1 -#100 this is the hardest issue to find in 9.8 condition.  As of today there are only 31 copies graded 9.8.  The last copy sold for $400 on EBAY.   Raw copies don't cost much.  If you can find a raw 9.8 candidate you could hit the jackpot if CGC gives it a 9.8.  Raw copies can be found for under $20 but you will only make money if it hits a 9.8   CGC 9.6 copies can be had for $50.

Invincible #1 -  If the movie actually happens it will easily go over $1,500.  A copy just sold on EBAY for over a $1,000.  Great read and not that easy to find in 9.8 condition.- 

Y the last Man #1 - If a TV show or movie actually happens this will easily double the current value.  You can currently purchase a CGC 9.8 copy for around $600.  This is a great read and it should stay popular for a long time.

I don't think any of these will truly appreciate. Fans are very mercurial, multiple copies in high grade and better options over $1,000. No one will be making thousands out of this proposition.

Edited by World Devourer

11 hours ago, quillandtankard said:

Monstress #1. As many copies as possible?

Out of curiosity, was the 2nd print of this featured in one of the speculator sites or something? I always see it listed higher than 1st print. I know there are less copies and it features new art but even then, 2nd print fetching higher prices still doesn't appear to be the norm.

Edited by aerischan

21 minutes ago, the authority said:

It was on many but I thought the 1st print was the better bet. The 1st print is her 1st appearance. 2c

Lol, I have all three #1 prints in CGC 9.8 (for my PC). I kinda love Monstress. :x

I also got a CGC 9.6 first print for $60 shipped (thanks ebay coupon) just for the sake of comparison. I honestly can't tell the difference between the 9.8 and the 9.6. And yeah, I think the first print cover looks nicer. Art is more detailed. :nyah:

Edited by aerischan

13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Captain Marvel #17. But that's a special case, because the new cover is the important aspect.

It will be interesting to see, assuming Valiant's multi-media efforts spark more interest in the comic line amongst comic fans, whether the issues that sold out from the distributor far enough in advance for a second print to be available for the same ship date as the first print are more sought-after than the first prints, since they'll have a lower print run and technically wouldn't qualify for not being a first appearance of whatever character might appear in the issue, since they both shipped the same day.

Has that actually happened?

I thought Valiant's first print sold out books that are announced before the first print is released still have second prints that aren't shipped until at least a week (or month) later.

I love Monstress as well but I cut out of my copies when they hit $40ish raw. I didn't feel it was going to break out.

Visually stunning book but it looks to be a niche book and not the monster hit I was hoping for. Anyone know what the print run has done last couple of issues. That will tell u slot but none of this will matter if gets a pilot or a movie goes into production. 

Being optioned anymore doesn't mean squat.

On 5/8/2017 at 0:26 PM, SquareChaos said:

Apparently Marvel has publicly stated they are going to roll back the whole forced diversity thing. Whether that impacts relatively established characters like Miles is hard to say.... assuming they follow through, but looking at the shambles their current lineup is in, I don't see why they would double down. Outside of stupidity anyway.

Starting when? After Inhumans obviously..............

20 hours ago, World Devourer said:

I don't think any of these will truly appreciate. Fans are very mercurial, multiple copies in high grade and better options over $1,000. No one will be making thousands out of this proposition.

You might be right and time will give us the results. If these were purchased two years ago the buyer would have made a huge profit.

In your opinion what modern comics are a good investment. 

On 5/10/2017 at 11:56 AM, raybowles said:

Walking Dead #79 - Unless you are collecting a CGC 9.8 Walking Dead run you would probably not know how hard this issue is to find in CGC 9.8 condition.  From issues #1 -#100 this is the hardest issue to find in 9.8 condition.  As of today there are only 31 copies graded 9.8.  The last copy sold for $400 on EBAY.   Raw copies don't cost much.  If you can find a raw 9.8 candidate you could hit the jackpot if CGC gives it a 9.8.  Raw copies can be found for under $20 but you will only make money if it hits a 9.8   CGC 9.6 copies can be had for $50.

Since I've been buying the Walking Dead off the stands since nearly the beginning, after reading your comments I decided to take a look at my copy. Well, it seems I don't have a copy. I vaguely remember there was an issue that I put back because all the copies at my LCS were terrible. A spine tick or two, 9.4ish, would not have bothered me so it must have been bad. I bet it was this issue. Interesting. No wonder I've seen this issue come up in a WTB thread. 

16 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Since I've been buying the Walking Dead off the stands since nearly the beginning, after reading your comments I decided to take a look at my copy. Well, it seems I don't have a copy. I vaguely remember there was an issue that I put back because all the copies at my LCS were terrible. A spine tick or two, 9.4ish, would not have bothered me so it must have been bad. I bet it was this issue. Interesting. No wonder I've seen this issue come up in a WTB thread. 

You are correct there have been 4 or 5 ads in the WTB forum looking for this issue. I think I did it twice and I was offering to pay $350 (I think that was the price) but not one person contacted me.

If I really had to go all in then I would bide my time and try to pick up 5 or 6  9.8 slabbed Transmetropolitan #1 (Helix printing only) - it's a 1997 book so just in time frame.

Incredible story, low on the census in 9.8, and if ever there was a series dying to be made for Netflix or AMC, then it's this one.  Last 9.8 was $156 which was ridiculously low.

Great book.

Edited by Beige

41 minutes ago, Beige said:

If I really had to go all in then I would bide my time and try to pick up 5 or 6  9.8 slabbed Transmetropolitan #1 (Helix printing only) - it's a 1997 book so just in time frame.

Incredible story, low on the census in 9.8, and if ever there was a series dying to be made for Netflix or AMC, then it's this one.  Last 9.8 was $156 which was ridiculously low.

Great book.

I was wondering when I'd see someone mention this book - good one.

A few years back I picked up a Darick Robertson signed, sketched, and remarked 9.8 copy for what felt like a steal.

On 5/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, 1Cool said:

I think buying modern keys and expecting huge returns in 5 years will be tough.  But if you can buy 60 overstock CGC 9.8s of blue chip characters you may be able to see a good return if the low print run keeps the number of 9.8 copies very low.  Even if only a couple explode in popularily there should be people wanting to build a complete set that are willing to pay $50 in 5 years (especially if CGC grading cost go up again in the future).

Which characters?

10 hours ago, valiantman said:

Has that actually happened?

I thought Valiant's first print sold out books that are announced before the first print is released still have second prints that aren't shipped until at least a week (or month) later.

Harbinger: Renegade and A&A (odd, both of Rafer Roberts' series, but maybe there are more). Link for Renegade below. I was looking for a link for A&A but they're not readily available. My guess is that they intentionally limited the print run of the "first" print so they could have a "second" print available as another variant on the release date, but that's just speculation. It would be smart marketing in the current market, and Atom and/or Hunter are smart guys.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/08/harbinger-renegade-1-sells-out-46000-print-run-gets-second-print-at-same-time-as-first/

3 hours ago, raybowles said:

You might be right and time will give us the results. If these were purchased two years ago the buyer would have made a huge profit.

In your opinion what modern comics are a good investment. 

Well, that question opens the door to the variants.  You may be lucky and find a Punisher #2 Opena variant (2014) for less than 1K, which would be a good pick. Any other FUTURE ultra-rare MARVEL variants that are at least 1:500 + are also possible picks when they first appear. Rarity is the key here. This is what buyers gravitate to. 

Again, the OP's question is flawed. The BEST investments that can net real profit are all 1K +. 

What are they? Just refer to Jay's list. The "rarity" factor is undeniable.

People thinking they will make a fortune off newcomers (eg. Silk) will be disappointed as here the inverse is true - sheer quantity kills appreciation. Just reference Batman Adventures #12 (1st Harley Quinn in comics)  on GPA. 

Save your pennies, be patient and go for the 9.8 W (nothing less - hundreds if not thousands of buyers/sellers are wasting their time with Modern 7.0 - 9.2) when it finally appears and then hold it for at least 3 years. The rate of appreciation both at GPA and on these boards is again, undeniable.

Again, however, be sure it is scarce. Don't get bidding fever just because a character is going to make their film/tv debut. Try for the variant of ASM #688 instead.

Beyond the scope of the original question, but that, with respect, is my opinion.

On 5/7/2017 at 9:33 AM, oakman29 said:

There's probably only three books that I truly would invest in with moderns.

1. Walking Dead 1

2. BA 12

3. NYX 3

Walking Dead has probably peaked IMO.

In terms of most upside. Saga #1. Sure the RRP is the book to own for that series, but that book well over 1k .

I do like BA12 and NYX 3 as picks.