• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 5/16/2017 at 2:24 PM, SquareChaos said:

The question always becomes, who doesn't already have one that actually wants one? That is what really drives the price in the long term... in the short term, in the initial surge of sales following such an announcement, I tend to assume that is driver by flippers buying up copies.

But maybe it isn't true that everyone - or some value of n representing everyone to such a sufficient state as to be near enough as makes little different - that wants one doesn't already have one.

These days movement in a book is driven not by people who WANT a book, but by people who WANT the prestige that goes with owning the book.  I've met many collectors in the past few years who only collect "keys" but couldn't tell you anything about the story.  And it doesn't seem to matter why the book is a "key", if someone else wants it, they want it too.  (I'm using quotes because some of these keys are really questionable.)  Those speculation websites are bibles to these people.

This is the main reason why "keys" are outrageously priced compared to other books.  I don't think many comic readers are buying pamphlets.  Industry practices (like ratio'd variants) have all but ensured those people who buy comics are not loyal readers, but collectors and speculators.

Back on topic, if a book becomes hot, you'd be surprised at how many people will WANT to buy it, regardless of how they feel about it before it is hot.

On 5/16/2017 at 3:37 PM, World Devourer said:

With respect, the market proves you wrong.

Rarity does guarantee demand because it CREATES demand - be it an ASM #667 Dell 'Otto, Bloodshot #0 with Platinum printing error, Maxx 1/2 Blue Foil Edition or Uncle Scrooge #179 in CGC 9.6.

If it is anyway exclusive, someone will want it, and the prices reflect this. 

?

I can name a bunch of rare books nobody could care less about.

21 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Why Invincible 7 and 13? I'm going to assume the tough white covers, but there aren't any big 1st appearances. 

Numbers seem to back 10, 11, 12 in that order as the least distributed. 

5 should be a good bet aside from 1 and 2 as it's the first Allen the Alien. 

19 hours ago, Ecranu said:

Was wondering the same thing.

Unless I'm missing something there are definitely first appearances in those.

44 minutes ago, rjrjr said:

These days movement in a book is driven not by people who WANT a book, but by people who WANT the prestige that goes with owning the book.  I've met many collectors in the past few years who only collect "keys" but couldn't tell you anything about the story.  And it doesn't seem to matter why the book is a "key", if someone else wants it, they want it too.  (I'm using quotes because some of these keys are really questionable.)  Those speculation websites are bibles to these people.

This is the main reason why "keys" are outrageously priced compared to other books.  I don't think many comic readers are buying pamphlets.  Industry practices (like ratio'd variants) have all but ensured those people who buy comics are not loyal readers, but collectors and speculators.

Back on topic, if a book becomes hot, you'd be surprised at how many people will WANT to buy it, regardless of how they feel about it before it is hot.

I don't disagree, but I will add that the context of the conversation was in large part around Saga #1 - an already very established key. I do also think non-comic reading collectors are bad for the health of the hobby in the long run.

23 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Why Invincible 7 and 13? I'm going to assume the tough white covers, but there aren't any big 1st appearances. 

21 hours ago, Ecranu said:

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

Invincible 7 is first Guardians of the Globe

Invincible 13 is Bulletproof (maybe someone else).

7 hours ago, rjrjr said:

I don't think many comic readers are buying pamphlets.  Industry practices (like ratio'd variants) have all but ensured those people who buy comics are not loyal readers, but collectors and speculators.

They still are. I doubt that the sales of 6-10 million pamphlets per month is fueled by collectors/speculators alone. Granted, the mega events and xovers from the Big Two are probably driving away some readers who only want maybe a book or two a month. I read in various formats - pamphlets, collections and digital. Just depends which one is more convenient and/or economical.

That said, you can pretty much figure the number of readers versus collectors/speculators from the drop off between issues #1 (variants galore) and #5. Event comics? There's variants galore for every single issue. I reckon Marvel's probably seeing some diminishing returns on their incentivized variants, too.

On 5/17/2017 at 11:18 AM, the authority said:

Hulk 449 is a very good one and I agree in the search. I have a few myself.

Nailbiter and Southern Bastards have been on my radar since their 1st issues. SB still brings very good money for a #1 in Cgc 9.8. I still have quite a few Deadly Class #1A but I'm not pursuing that book. I think its very, very good but I have enough of a stash to make me happy.

The books I can't pass on are

Stormwatch #37 - 1st Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor among others

Stormwatch #4- 1st Midnighter and Apollo ( just got a 9.4,  9.6, and 9.8 from CGC, sent more in )

The Authority #1 - ( I now own over 40 copies of this book. I buy at least 1 every month )

The Authority #13 - ( Mark Millar's 1st go at this team, almost as good as Ellis, not quite )

Planetary #1 - 1st Elijah Snow, Jakita, and the Drummer. This is as good as a comic gets. 20 plus copies in my collection.

East of West #1 - Death as a hero ? How good can a book get ? Well, there's Planetary, The Authority, and East of West that are the pinnacle of comics to date for me. I've managed to accumulate over 100 copies of #1 and more than 10 compete sets. There is no book on the shelves that I'd rather read or collect. Numerous interesting characters exist in this universe and I'm expecting issue #50 is only the end of part of that universe.

JLA #1 Grant Morrison's run. This is the series that actually made Batman the equal of all of the superpowered crowd. Prior to this run, it was hard to really imagine how Batman could hang with the big boys, much less why he'd be on their team. I buy 1 of these a month too.

JSA # 1 by Geoff Johns - made these characters right at home in modern times. 

Adam Hughes covers stood out to me long before he was who he is today. I buy almost every ting he does.

Alex Ross covers, especially from JSA in 9.8 condition are tough finds imo. I buy those too.

There is a ton of pricey stuff I buy but this is about undervalued, future potential books. Almost all of the above can be had for $10 or less and most will do better longterm than the best 2 $4 to $5 books you'll pick up at your LCS today.  

We're almost identical in likes.  Definitely love that you added John's JSA. 

Some day we need to have a best-of bracket to see which book comes out on top.  I love Planetary, but the majority may find Authority to be superior. 

Stormwatch #4 is a a relatively tough book.  I've been looking for a LONG time and it was always the toughest in the run. 

Patrick

13 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Invincible 7 is first Guardians of the Globe

Invincible 13 is Bulletproof (maybe someone else).

First Bulletproof is #9...first monster girl and bulletproof is on the CGC label. 

Spoiler alert... besides one, the guardians of the globe are all killed in the same issue they are introduced.  I'm still unsure why that would be a need-to-have first appearance. 

image.jpg

Edited by GLCBrad

On 5/18/2017 at 2:45 PM, valiantman said:

1,000 copies of Harbinger #3 (2012) pulled from $1 discount boxes around the country. :foryou:

First appearance of the "new" Livewire for the Valiant Universe, important character in multiple series including Secret Weapons being written by the Oscar-nominated writer of Arrival (movie).

About 16,000 printed.  $1 each.  Buy 1,000. lol

It's also the first appearance of VEI Faith. My 80 copies would very much like this book to take off.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:48 AM, GLCBrad said:

First Bulletproof is #9...first monster girl and bulletproof is on the CGC label. 

Spoiler alert... besides one, the guardians of the globe are all killed in the same issue they are introduced.  I'm still unsure why that would be a need-to-have first appearance. 

image.jpg

They must have forgotten that when they gave them their own series.

There was some gap between the original team being killed and the new team lead by Robot, but I'm not sure what that gap was. May be one issue, maybe ten, I can't remember. Outside of the single long story arc with Robot and Monster Girl, the Guardians of the Globe were a snooze fest for me, I was never happy to see them on the page.

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, ygogolak said:
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, GLCBrad said:

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Ecranu said:

Having read the book when it came out I would imagine 11 and 12 would be the ones many would want. Its the story in those issues as well as the low print run over the years I have sold dozens of copies of these issues above all others.

Allen the Alien would also not be a back pick up as well.

Invincible is full of 1st appearances in the 1st 20 issues. I would recommend you only stick the core characters, but to each their own.