• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ygogolak said:

They must have forgotten that when they gave them their own series.

It's a completely different team same name. The original characters from 7 were all killed in the exact same issue that they were introduced.

The characters from the series you're referencing called Guardians of the Globe were introduced in #2 and #9

13 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

It's a completely different team same name. The original characters from 7 were all killed in the exact same issue that they were introduced.

The characters from the series you're referencing called Guardians of the Globe were introduced in #2 and #9

Hmm, seems like they made a movie or two recently that was done with completely different members and it did ok. 

:wink:

13 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Hmm, seems like they made a movie or two recently that was done with completely different members and it did ok. 

:wink:

What you have to ask yourself if you're speculating, is what dollar is better spent. An issue with a first appearance of an entire team that gets whacked immediately, or an issue with a character that might have a little more longevity. If you think Guardians of the Globe are important, your real bet would be to load up on issue #2.

40 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

What you have to ask yourself if you're speculating, is what dollar is better spent. An issue with a first appearance of an entire team that gets whacked immediately, or an issue with a character that might have a little more longevity. If you think Guardians of the Globe are important, your real bet would be to load up on issue #2.

Point taken!

i have been watching it since the movie announcement and have yet to buy one. I'll gamble, buts it's going to be at a very low buy-in with something like this.

On 5/19/2017 at 7:48 AM, GLCBrad said:

First Bulletproof is #9...first monster girl and bulletproof is on the CGC label. 

Spoiler alert... besides one, the guardians of the globe are all killed in the same issue they are introduced.  I'm still unsure why that would be a need-to-have first appearance. 

image.jpg

Where is Bulletproof in this issue? I'm only seeing one black character named Black Samson.

35 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Sure looks like a cameo and an unnamed one at that.

I'd agree with you there.

The reason it doesn't really matter is that the character is irrelevant. Kirkman tried to make him relevant from 89-100 and quickly ended that. 

22 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't think the appearance & death of the GotG is all that important. But, the reveal in that issue is what really made Invincible an interesting series. Prior to that it was fairlt average superhero fare. It's for that reason I would consider the issue a big key.

24 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't think the appearance & death of the GotG is all that important. But, the reveal in that issue is what really made Invincible an interesting series. Prior to that it was fairlt average superhero fare. It's for that reason I would consider the issue a big key.

Ok this is a very good point

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I don't think either of these two facets will drive value, though I agree from a story perspective it is interesting.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:55 PM, followtheleader said:

Even if higher, Invincible has never had a following like WD and it's in the mid-100s.  

If there is a movie, the price will be out of the roof.  Including a number of other issues.  Going to be tough for people to put a collection together.  

I genuinely bought this all the way back to when the MOTU Preview came out.  And I never thought it would see the bigscreen.  Had the opportunity to buy more #1s when the interest was small.  Smacking myself for not buying them when I saw them. 

Patrick

Back in 2003 I was browsing a NEC store in MA. They had several copies of this black & white comic book for issues #1 and #2; at least 10 copies each. I read them both at the store but decided not to buy it because they were BLACK & WHITE!!! Yes, it was the Walking Dead. I weep every time I see a copy sold on ebay. However, I made up for the mistake by buying two copies of Invincible #1 and NYX #3 when they originally came out. NYXs went to CGC and came back 9.8 and 9.6; I sold one copy of Invincible and the second copy came back CGC 9.6. I'll soon be selling Invincible and the lower grade NYX copy to buy Howard the Duck (Gwenpool cover). I believe Gwenpool may be the next NYX.

Edited by deciquio76

I remember a few years ago (maybe 10 yrs) I brought a CGC SS 9.8 Walking Dead #1 from a  boardie for around $700 CND$ as a birthday gift for myself. My wife thought I was crazy, but being as it's my birthday she let it slide....... now, with today's prices, she is upset with me since I didn't brought more of it..... 

man, you just win :tonofbricks:

On 5/17/2017 at 1:18 PM, the authority said:

Hulk 449 is a very good one and I agree in the search. I have a few myself.

Nailbiter and Southern Bastards have been on my radar since their 1st issues. SB still brings very good money for a #1 in Cgc 9.8. I still have quite a few Deadly Class #1A but I'm not pursuing that book. I think its very, very good but I have enough of a stash to make me happy.

The books I can't pass on are

Stormwatch #37 - 1st Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor among others

Stormwatch #4- 1st Midnighter and Apollo ( just got a 9.4,  9.6, and 9.8 from CGC, sent more in )

The Authority #1 - ( I now own over 40 copies of this book. I buy at least 1 every month )

The Authority #13 - ( Mark Millar's 1st go at this team, almost as good as Ellis, not quite )

Planetary #1 - 1st Elijah Snow, Jakita, and the Drummer. This is as good as a comic gets. 20 plus copies in my collection.

East of West #1 - Death as a hero ? How good can a book get ? Well, there's Planetary, The Authority, and East of West that are the pinnacle of comics to date for me. I've managed to accumulate over 100 copies of #1 and more than 10 compete sets. There is no book on the shelves that I'd rather read or collect. Numerous interesting characters exist in this universe and I'm expecting issue #50 is only the end of part of that universe.

JLA #1 Grant Morrison's run. This is the series that actually made Batman the equal of all of the superpowered crowd. Prior to this run, it was hard to really imagine how Batman could hang with the big boys, much less why he'd be on their team. I buy 1 of these a month too.

JSA # 1 by Geoff Johns - made these characters right at home in modern times. 

Adam Hughes covers stood out to me long before he was who he is today. I buy almost every ting he does.

Alex Ross covers, especially from JSA in 9.8 condition are tough finds imo. I buy those too.

There is a ton of pricey stuff I buy but this is about undervalued, future potential books. Almost all of the above can be had for $10 or less and most will do better longterm than the best 2 $4 to $5 books you'll pick up at your LCS today.  

:gossip: Planetary Preview in Gen 13 #33 / C-23 #6 is the first Elijah Snow, Jakita Wagner and The Drummer.

On 5/22/2017 at 2:06 PM, GLCBrad said:

I'd agree with you there.

The reason it doesn't really matter is that the character is irrelevant. Kirkman tried to make him relevant from 89-100 and quickly ended that. 

His backstory is interesting, though.  He's kept so much bottle-up.  I think Rob wanted to explore that ticking time-bomb, some more.

On 5/22/2017 at 4:29 PM, ygogolak said:

Sure looks like a cameo and an unnamed one at that.

I just re-read 13. Bulletproof is not in that issue at all.

He makes his first "full appearance" in #14. They even reference the "cameo" when they introduce him by name.

15 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

I just re-read 13. Bulletproof is not in that issue at all.

He makes his first "full appearance" in #14. They even reference the "cameo" when they introduce him by name.

You're right. 14 for sure, one named panel.

On 5/17/2017 at 1:18 PM, the authority said:

Hulk 449 is a very good one and I agree in the search. I have a few myself.

Nailbiter and Southern Bastards have been on my radar since their 1st issues. SB still brings very good money for a #1 in Cgc 9.8. I still have quite a few Deadly Class #1A but I'm not pursuing that book. I think its very, very good but I have enough of a stash to make me happy.

The books I can't pass on are

Stormwatch #37 - 1st Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor among others

Stormwatch #4- 1st Midnighter and Apollo ( just got a 9.4,  9.6, and 9.8 from CGC, sent more in )

The Authority #1 - ( I now own over 40 copies of this book. I buy at least 1 every month )

The Authority #13 - ( Mark Millar's 1st go at this team, almost as good as Ellis, not quite )

Planetary #1 - 1st Elijah Snow, Jakita, and the Drummer. This is as good as a comic gets. 20 plus copies in my collection.

East of West #1 - Death as a hero ? How good can a book get ? Well, there's Planetary, The Authority, and East of West that are the pinnacle of comics to date for me. I've managed to accumulate over 100 copies of #1 and more than 10 compete sets. There is no book on the shelves that I'd rather read or collect. Numerous interesting characters exist in this universe and I'm expecting issue #50 is only the end of part of that universe.

JLA #1 Grant Morrison's run. This is the series that actually made Batman the equal of all of the superpowered crowd. Prior to this run, it was hard to really imagine how Batman could hang with the big boys, much less why he'd be on their team. I buy 1 of these a month too.

JSA # 1 by Geoff Johns - made these characters right at home in modern times. 

Adam Hughes covers stood out to me long before he was who he is today. I buy almost every ting he does.

Alex Ross covers, especially from JSA in 9.8 condition are tough finds imo. I buy those too.

There is a ton of pricey stuff I buy but this is about undervalued, future potential books. Almost all of the above can be had for $10 or less and most will do better longterm than the best 2 $4 to $5 books you'll pick up at your LCS today.  

Good picks.