• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2017 at 4:47 PM, World Devourer said:

Although some issues had massive print runs, they do retain some value. I find it interesting that the Poly-Bagged Platinum variant of Superman #75 sells for over $300 - despite the fact that copies regularly appear for sale.

An interesting observation:  There are fewer Superman #75 Platinum total (10,000 total copies, bagged, unbagged, slabbed, not slabbed, tucked in a box somewhere since 1993), than there are Amazing Spider-man #300 which have been submitted to CGC and graded (13,587 on the census).

14 hours ago, valiantman said:

An interesting observation:  There are fewer Superman #75 Platinum total (10,000 total copies, bagged, unbagged, slabbed, not slabbed, tucked in a box somewhere since 1993), than there are Amazing Spider-man #300 which have been submitted to CGC and graded (13,587 on the census).

Yes, and I believe the Platinum in 9.8 will appreciate in value.

2 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Yes, and I believe the Platinum in 9.8 will appreciate in value.

Sure but will it ever reach ASM 300 value?  Scarcity is of course a factor.  But one could argue Spider-man is more popular than superman right now (in fact I'd put him tied with Wolverine as the second most popular character after Batman in the Cale's and tights set but that's anecdotal for sure) and has the greater upside due to the plethora of movies coming out.  Venom is arguably his most popular villain right now  (Green goblin is the only one who come close right now IMHO i.e. His equivalent of the joker) vs Doomsday who is great but no lex Luther.   I think the book will have value but I have my doubts of it reaching over $1000 unless a new reboot of the film kills it and gets good buzz before it launches.

Nothing of much lasting import happens in that book, Superman's death was a cultural phenomenon at the time, but it doesn't have any 1st appearances or other real 'key' attributes.... certainly none of any consequence.

I'd take ASM #300 over it every day of the week from the 'key' perspective, Venom isn't going anywhere.

I agree that ASM #300 is a major key. No doubt about it. On the other hand, Superman #75 brought more people into comics than any other book I can think of to this point. It was emotionally wrenching and heroic to boot. The good news is that they're both currently readily available so we don't have to choose...yet. :tink:

Edited by the authority

9 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Sure but will it ever reach ASM 300 value?  Scarcity is of course a factor.  But one could argue Spider-man is more popular than superman right now (in fact I'd put him tied with Wolverine as the second most popular character after Batman in the Cale's and tights set but that's anecdotal for sure) and has the greater upside due to the plethora of movies coming out.  Venom is arguably his most popular villain right now  (Green goblin is the only one who come close right now IMHO i.e. His equivalent of the joker) vs Doomsday who is great but no lex Luther.   I think the book will have value but I have my doubts of it reaching over $1000 unless a new reboot of the film kills it and gets good buzz before it launches.

SM #75 is a slow burner. I was never actually comparing it to anything else - it is simply a quirky little phenomenon unto itself. 

As Authority said, right now you can have your cake and eat it. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, the authority said:

I agree that ASM #300 is a major key. No doubt about it. On the other hand, Superman #75 brought more people into comics than any other book I can think of to this point. It was emotionally wrenching and heroic to boot. The good news is that they're both currently readily available so we don't have to choose...yet. :tink:

I actually remember enjoying the Death of Superman arc as it went on, though it did seem to go on too long. And I agree, I'd of course say get both, I just think ASM 300 has more going for it from a collectible standpoint on every facet (major 1st appearance, anniversary issue, classic cover, McFarlane drawing Spidey) other than rarity.

I'm not sure what the discussion or "debate" is between Superman #75 and ASM #300, but if we're talking about investing $1,000 in either of them, you can't get a CGC 9.8 ASM #300 for $1,000 anymore so it would be a CGC 9.6.  For Superman #75, you can get a CGC 9.8 of the Platinum, Deluxe, Standard, and Standard Newsstand for about $600 and still have $400 left over for a CGC 9.2 to CGC 9.4 ASM #300.

15 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I'm not sure what the discussion or "debate" is between Superman #75 and ASM #300, but if we're talking about investing $1,000 in either of them, you can't get a CGC 9.8 ASM #300 for $1,000 anymore so it would be a CGC 9.6.  For Superman #75, you can get a CGC 9.8 of the Platinum, Deluxe, Standard, and Standard Newsstand for about $600 and still have $400 left over for a CGC 9.2 to CGC 9.4 ASM #300.

Valid point.  ASM 300 raw was my take.

3 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Valid point.  ASM 300 raw was my take.

Interesting.  If we're talking "invest" and "$1,000" as the topic suggests, then raw books are not even in the discussion for me... unless I'm buying 100 copies of a $10 book with potential.  Once a book costs $50+, I buy slabbed or not at all.  I've been on eBay since 1997, the risks for raw books significantly outweigh the rewards.

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Interesting.  If we're talking "invest" and "$1,000" as the topic suggests, then raw books are not even in the discussion for me... unless I'm buying 100 copies of a $10 book with potential.  Once a book costs $50+, I buy slabbed or not at all.  I've been on eBay since 1997, the risks for raw books significantly outweigh the rewards.

I think I agree for most instances. For online buying that is. If I can see a book in person and I'm confident of my grade that is a different story, and I've gotten some real deals that way over the years.

54 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I think I agree for most instances. For online buying that is. If I can see a book in person and I'm confident of my grade that is a different story, and I've gotten some real deals that way over the years.

That would work if I had any decent comic shops in a 200 mile radius.  But I don't. lol

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Im a risk taker. I look at high quality pics and I request high quality pics of raws. I LOVE buying raws for high dollar books and rolling the dice. Its a great feeling to get a book back that you took a risk on and comes back a high grade. Yes, sometimes you lose, but sometimes you win. I am very very selective when I do that though. I completely avoid raw books with terrible images if they are high dollar. Thats a huge sign. Another thing I like is to find a slab, look at high quality pics, buy the graders notes and see if the defects look pressable. Since I get a lot of books signed, when I get it signed/graded, I send for pressing too and its nice when it comes back a higher grade. Ive had good success at that as well. 

I would try and turn that $1000 into $1500 or $2000 immediately then buy something for long term investment. It might end up being $600 or $700 though. But, thats just me.

Edited by kevhtx

On 5/30/2017 at 6:43 AM, F For Fake said:

Earlier in the thread (sorry, too lazy to go back and look) someone mentioned the Alex Ross JSA covers, and I agree, I think they're super, particularly the black "portrait" covers. So simple and powerful. Picked up a run of these at a Peddler's Mall this weekend.

Photo May 29, 11 21 56 PM.jpg

I have a set of these as well, just awesome.

8 hours ago, Wolverine3 said:

Smartar$e. I've put in many hours on this. Only trying to help.

IN my experience, putting in hours studying something tends to make *me* more interested and excited in a subject, but for Robotech to take off, there have to be plenty of other interested in it. Ican see perhaps a bump in the old Comico books, but then we're also passed that 25-year sweet spot without having seen movement there, which appears to be an indication that there's not a huge market for the property.