• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Except with penny stocks, you can unload 10000 shares in a single sale with little effort. Not so with selling comics

I was going to make the same comparison basically - you have to do such a thing at large scale to make a profit, and you have to sell commodities where every single share is as good as identical to any other. The collecting world is vastly different, it just wouldn't work. You'd lose everything pretty quickly and end up sitting on a ton of stock that you'd have to store, catalog, maintain, etc. Most comic shops don't try to do that anymore for many of the same reasons.

12 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

Maybe a penny stock method?  IE buy a bunch and if it moves a few bucks, you makes good return?  

That's a very penny-ante approach. Buy cheap and years later make a few dollars.

No, you want invest in something that potentially gains  few hundred dollars every year.

Again, the original question has been poorly framed. It should be $2K at least. 1K gets nothing with SUBSTANTIAL appreciation.

9 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

I was going to make the same comparison basically - you have to do such a thing at large scale to make a profit, and you have to sell commodities where every single share is as good as identical to any other. The collecting world is vastly different, it just wouldn't work. You'd lose everything pretty quickly and end up sitting on a ton of stock that you'd have to store, catalog, maintain, etc. Most comic shops don't try to do that anymore for many of the same reasons.

Also, aren't you comparing physical vs. digital, more overhead?

11 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Also, aren't you comparing physical vs. digital, more overhead?

I wasn't intending to say anything about digital - you can't exactly (easily) resell digital. The main idea is that collectible comics are not commodities (in the raw, part of the beauty of the idea of slabs).

Edited by SquareChaos
Clarity

4 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I wasn't intending to say anything about digital - you can't exactly (easily) resell digital. The main idea is that collectible comics are not commodities (in the raw, part of the beauty of the idea of slabs).

Yet Bitcoin.....figure that one out!

18 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't follow what you mean? Bitcoin is not really anything like a digital comic... as far as I understand it anyway. I might be missing something.

I just mean it's digital. There is nothing tangible yet it's increasing in value.

1 hour ago, World Devourer said:

That's a very penny-ante approach. Buy cheap and years later make a few dollars.

No, you want invest in something that potentially gains  few hundred dollars every year.

Again, the original question has been poorly framed. It should be $2K at least. 1K gets nothing with SUBSTANTIAL appreciation.

I'm not saying I'd take that approach.  Just saying the guts example reminded me of that volume approach.

so with $2k what books or book?

31 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I don't follow what you mean? Bitcoin is not really anything like a digital comic... as far as I understand it anyway. I might be missing something.

He wasnt advocating selling digital comics, he just meant crypto currency

Edited by Drbearsec

56 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

I just mean it's digital. There is nothing tangible yet it's increasing in value.

Yes but those two things [digital comics, Bitcoin] have little to nothing in common beyond being digital contrivances. But now that you have me thinking about it, Bitcoin and physical comics actually have more in common since in some regard... the market for both is largely driven by supply & demand. Bitcoins - like almost all modern currencies, including the fiat USD - is only worth something as long as some subset of people agree that they have worth and therefore desire them, so maybe Bitcoin should be thought of as more of a speculative collectible / investment instead of as a currency since it has no central government / physical goods backing, has a limited supply, and is easily tradeable... there is even some element of uniqueness to each one based on its location in the block chain hm

3 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Yes but those two things [digital comics, Bitcoin] have little to nothing in common beyond being digital contrivances. But now that you have me thinking about it, Bitcoin and physical comics actually have more in common since in some regard... the market for both is largely driven by supply & demand. Bitcoins - like almost all modern currencies, including the fiat USD - is only worth something as long as some subset of people agree that they have worth and therefore desire them, so maybe Bitcoin should be thought of as more of a speculative collectible / investment instead of as a currency since it has no central government / physical goods backing, has a limited supply, and is easily tradeable... there is even some element of uniqueness to each one based on its location in the block chain hm

I believe his original point was that with Bitcoin, stock etc, you are essentially trading something digital (especially since you don't get stock certs).  With comics it's solely physical (i.e. You have to trade the comic in hand)

7 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

I believe his original point was that with Bitcoin, stock etc, you are essentially trading something digital (especially since you don't get stock certs).  With comics it's solely physical (i.e. You have to trade the comic in hand)

With stock, you're buying a portion of a company. Having or not having a physical certificate for that is similar to whether you have physical cash or cash in the bank, which is being recorded digitally even if the bank doesn't have the physical bills present that represents that.

20 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

With stock, you're buying a portion of a company. Having or not having a physical certificate for that is similar to whether you have physical cash or cash in the bank, which is being recorded digitally even if the bank doesn't have the physical bills present that represents that.

I think we have derailed off the point of the thread at this point.

althoigh looks like Raw J Scott Campbell con exclusives are big short term flips.  I'll be curious to see the value of the graded ones over time

I've read several explanations of Bitcoin over the years, and am still no closer to understanding it.

It's entirely possible that I'm a big dummy.

20 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I've read several explanations of Bitcoin over the years, and am still no closer to understanding it.

It's entirely possible that I'm a big dummy.

There is a public decentralized ledger that contains all Bitcoin transactions since the beginning of Bitcoin time. Since the ledger is public and decentralized, no one person or entity has control over the statement of record. When a Bitcoin transaction takes place, it gets pushed to all ledgers, making it (likely) impossible to play the usual tricks that one plays with digital items... namely duplication of said item. This coupled with some other facts - such as the point that the community knows the total count of all Bitcoins that may ever exist since that value was seeded by the currencies creator - allow people to use the digital currency with some level of confidence.

On 5/6/2017 at 1:44 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I like your long-range thinking. The completists would very much want these.

The problem is, comic companies like DC, Marvel, Dynamite, etc. have basically killed the idea of completionist collecting in regards to modern comics, especially if your talking about any of the popular characters or series. There are just WAY too many variants being produced, many of which are just way too expensive. One would either have to have SERIOUS stacks of cash or focus on just one or two individual series to be able to even think about completionist collecting in the modern comics market, especially if your talking about slabbed comics. The VAST majority of comic collectors have basically had to give up on the whole idea of completionist collecting in regards to the modern comic market.

Edited by OrangeCrush

31 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

The problem is, comic companies like DC, Marvel, Dynamite, etc. have basically killed the idea of completionist collecting in regards to modern comics, especially if your talking about any of the popular characters or series. There are just WAY too many variants being produced, many of which are just way too expensive. One would either have to have SERIOUS stacks of cash or focus on just one or two individual series to be able to even think about completionist collecting in the modern comics market, especially if your talking about slabbed comics. The VAST majority of comic collectors have basically had to give up on the whole idea of completionist collecting in regards to the modern comic market.

I made it even easier and just gave up on Marvel and DC.

6 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Exactly. What we have now is a commercially-refined hobby for the affluent. Initially this was a novelty for companies (eg. coloured variants of Legends of the Dark Knight #1 at DC, metallic covers at Marvel and different coloured logos at Valiant) but has now become a viable self-sustaining sub-market.

2 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Exactly. What we have now is a commercially-refined hobby for the affluent. Initially this was a novelty for companies (eg. coloured variants of Legends of the Dark Knight #1 at DC, metallic covers at Marvel and different coloured logos at Valiant) but has now become a viable self-sustaining sub-market.

In this day and age a completionist has to just settle for one or a few covers of an issue and ignore the others.  About as "completionist" as most us can get today,