• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

First off, I am enjoying this thread and all the debate it is stirring. So I must ask...

The OP asked for long-term investment suggestions. So who is going to pay $2k in 10+ years for a $1k incentive variant of a popular cover artist?  

What am I missing here?  <-- honest question.  

Because it seems to me that such a thing has not happened and to predict it falls outside the scope of investment. 

A good number of these 'rare variants' have spiked in prices in a few short years time, but the entire phenomenon itself is only about a decade old so there is no long term data. There isn't even much short term data as a lot of these sales don't happen as a matter of public record recorded by a third party, but instead as a private transaction between two individuals.

On 5/12/2017 at 10:58 AM, Wipple said:

It has been brought up a couple of times already but im in the Invincible 1 cgc9.8 camp..low print run , low census to this point and tv show /movie potential. 850 gpa 90 day avg trending higher. Very few if any ever on the bay..its 2k soon!

I just think the invincible movie will be a flop.. Geez Seth Rogan???  Do you remember Green Hornet... just awful.

2 hours ago, Bird said:

So the question becomes, multiple copies of 1 or 2 books or do you spread the risk among 3-5?

Its riskier to blow a grand on one modern book if you invest conservatively simply because most modern books valued at a grand have either peaked or have gotten close to their ceiling.

Edited by Aweandlorder

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

I just think the invincible movie will be a flop.. Geez Seth Rogan???  Do you remember Green Hornet... just awful.

I have to imagine Rogen is just producing. As with the Preacher television show. Assuming this thing ever even sees the light of day, which is always a long shot. 

2 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Its riskier to blow a grand on one modern book if you invest conservatively simply because modern books valued at a grand have either peaked or have gotten close to their ceiling.

Sure, which is why I asked. NYX3 has been bandied about, but gpa on 9.8 is $800+. So I wonder if those advocating NYX3 would risk it all on that book or would they get a squirrel girl Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (or whatever it is offically), an Adam Blue marvel, and 25 raw vengeance #1s instead?

Just now, Bird said:

Sure, which is why I asked. NYX3 has been bandied about, but gpa on 9.8 is $800+. So I wonder if those advocating NYX3 would risk it all on that book or would they get a squirrel girl Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (or whatever it is offically), an Adam Blue marvel, and 25 raw vengeance #1s instead?

Blowing a 1000 on one new stock is as risky as it gets in any market. I'd put a thousand on Disney before I put it on Facebook if I had to put it all on one.

The other examples you provided are a little too obscure for me to invest in either. Maybe Squirrel girl is a little safer, but I dont see her as the next deadpool or wolverine

If you have determined that "girl power" is a growing force in our community, and not just a current trend, than I'd go with either Harley or Gwen

On 5/6/2017 at 7:12 AM, ComicConnoisseur said:

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?

This is to supplement a bronze age thread I started 7 years ago.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/194065-1000-is-handed-to-you-to-invest-long-term-in-cgc-bronze-age-what-do-you-do/

We  have gone back to that thread, and we have noticed a lot of bronze age key comic  books have more than doubled in profit, so now I am asking the same question here about moderns. I think it be fun to see what people pick now for investment/speculator purposes.

SO

Scenario: You have $1000 of disposable income to invest long-term(5 years) in getting some Modern keys. What do you pick?

criteria these must be CGC`ed and dates are 1997 to 2017.

These will not be for a quick flip, you spend the $1000 now and hopefully in 5 years you will have a little profit. Since you guys are the experts I like to hear your pros and cons thoughts.

I will start it off with any mid-grade The Walking Dead CGC  #1 for under a grand.

I'd just buy some crack and smoke it . . . :whistle:

Oh, and btw . . . tags are stoopid.

Edited by divad

2 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Blowing a 1000 on one new stock is as risky as it gets in any market. I'd put a thousand on Disney before I put it on Facebook if I had to put it all on one.

The other examples you provided are a little too obscure for me to invest in either. Maybe Squirrel girl is a little safer, but I dont see her as the next deadpool or wolverine

If you have determined that "girl power" is a growing force in our community, and not just a current trend, than I'd go with either Harley or Gwen

If Uber ever goes public load up with its stock!

:cloud9:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

5 hours ago, Bird said:

So the question becomes, multiple copies of 1 or 2 books or do you spread the risk among 3-5?

Good strategy.

I have a friend who does something similar with coins,instead buying one coin for $5000 he will take the 5 grand and buy a bunch of different coins. He says his odds are better.

4 hours ago, Bird said:

Its not different then investing in stocks. Depends on if the cash is disposable. Do you need the cash later or is this just a gamble? Answer that question and it will tell you which way to invest.

On 5/11/2017 at 3:18 PM, fastballspecial said:

I love Monstress as well but I cut out of my copies when they hit $40ish raw. I didn't feel it was going to break out.

Visually stunning book but it looks to be a niche book and not the monster hit I was hoping for. Anyone know what the print run has done last couple of issues. That will tell u slot but none of this will matter if gets a pilot or a movie goes into production. 

Being optioned anymore doesn't mean squat.

Holding steady around 18K. Volume 1 trades sold ~26K via direct market and another ~24K via book market (made quite a few appearances in the BookScan Monthly Top 20 lists). I think it was the top selling Image trade in BookScan 2016 that is not titled The Walking Dead or not written by Brian K. Vaughan.

That said, only reason I would choose Monstress is because it's something I'm willing to keep forever. 'Sides, CGC 9.8 is only what, $100? :) 

Edited by aerischan

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Its not different then investing in stocks. Depends on if the cash is disposable. Do you need the cash later or is this just a gamble? Answer that question and it will tell you which way to invest.

I know. I was asking those people who said NYX3 if they would take that approach (1 book basically) given the gpa. Simply put, some people are naming books but not doing the math here and I question if they looked at the math or just named some cool books. The question is better answered if you list the values of the books (unless you only say one book, then it is obvious).

On 5/7/2017 at 10:27 AM, paul747 said:

CAPTAIN MARVEL 17 2ND PRINT

BATMAN #655 VARIANT

NEW 52 DIAMOND  VARIANTS  FOR ACTION #1 AND DETECTIVE #1 (STAYED RELEVANT WITH RE-NUMBERING)

Ultimate Comics: Fallout #4 VARIANT

AMAZING FANTASY #15 -MODERN WITH AMADEUS CHO

ADAM:LEGEND OF THE BLUE MARVEL #1

NYX #3

SAGA #1-5

AND I AGREE WITH THESE.....  FROM ABOVE, ASM 667 Dell'otto, Batman 608RRP,

Just for fun! 5 years from now we will see.

My Modern Picks.  At this point the appreciation has been insane if you got these moderns at the start.

Math: Obviously a lot cheaper buying raw. (double- up)

Amazing fantasy  #15 2006 buy a 9.8 for  $190.00 or cheaper.

Captain marvel 17 2nd print buy a raw NM 9.4-9.6--225.00

Also buy ANMNPO #1 9.8 for 9.8 for $175.00

Batman 655 variant 9.6 $150.00

Adam legend of the blue marvel 9.8 100.00

Saga #1 9.6 --175.00

Fringe play: the action and detective RRP's from the new 52 , ultimate fallout #4 var---- find a deal. (Just because its in the 5 below packs I dont think that changes the estimated print run Numbers)

I dont think you can touch or find an ASM #667-VAR or bats #608 RRP for $1000.00.  I also dont think buying a single NYX #3 9.8 at today's price will do as good as the above choices.  I like the idea of the Ultimate Spider-man White in 9.8 ,  I do think marvel will re-boot the ultimate universe but that's a gamble.   I also think the comment on buying the new Star Wars appearances will have some weight in the future.

Ok, my official picks and current prices:

Catwoman Vol 3. #51 CGC 9.8 : $300

Catwoman Vol 3. #70 CGC 9.8 : $225

Catwoman Vol 3. #74 CGC 9.8 : $275

And that leaves me $200 to buy as many high grade raw Hughes books as possible. (10-15)

All my eggs are in one basket lol

7 minutes ago, Hado said:

Ok, my official picks and current prices:

Catwoman Vol 3. #51 CGC 9.8 : $300

Catwoman Vol 3. #70 CGC 9.8 : $225

Catwoman Vol 3. #74 CGC 9.8 : $275

And that leaves me $200 to buy as many high grade raw Hughes books as possible. (10-15)

All my eggs are in one basket lol

I think generally decent bets although no one knows if covers will continue their climb but then again no one knows anything about the future. 51 interests me though...with the end of LOST don't you think that its' day has come and gone. There were $300 9.8 sales in 2016 but nothing approaching that since. It is a great cover so that will never change.

Edited by Bird
#74 is climbing strongly lately though, huh?