• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$1000 is handed to you to invest long-term in CGC MODERN Age what do you do?
5 5

418 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

How about Seven to Eternity?  Too early to tell?  Someone has said this is being made into a trilogy?  Is that true?

My Remender money would go elsewhere - Deadly Class for just pure best book potential, and Black Science and Fear Agent for parallel media probability (not that they're not also great books).

Sorry this is :signofftopic: but Black Science is on the top of my read pile with every new issue.  For me it has both the art and story to keep the book moving forward for a long time, but I don't think it will ever beat out Saga from a ROI standpoint.

18 hours ago, valiantman said:

ComicConnoisseur made the rules.  If we can just do whatever we want, next there will be human sacrifice! Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!

Thanks, I think I will be more flexible though, and it doesn't have to be a cgc slab. I will update it to $1,000 spent on moderns, slabbed or un-slabbed. I am finding out in this thread that the modern market is vastly more different and complicated than the bronze age market. I see the bronze age market as more static,while the modern market is more dynamic. lol

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

15 hours ago, Drbearsec said:

On the other hand if you can get one before the announcement and then flip on the hype, be some good potential profit albeit not long term investing

Couldn't agree more. And with that being said, here's what's on my buy list currently:
Avenging Spider-Man #9 (buy under $50, sell at $100)

Hulk #449

Nailbiter #1 (& Ghosted #9)

Deadly Class #1

Dollface #1 Baltimore Comic Con

Gotham City Sirens #1 2nd Print

Invincible #7, #13

Southern Bastards #1

Sunfire & Big Hero #1-3 (at low prices)

1 hour ago, Sam I am said:

Sorry this is :signofftopic: but Black Science is on the top of my read pile with every new issue.  For me it has both the art and story to keep the book moving forward for a long time, but I don't think it will ever beat out Saga from a ROI standpoint.

You think Saga has a ton of room to grow in the next decade? No way I'd pay what is being asked for it now,  I don't see it. Black Science is dirt cheap, I don't see how it couldn't have a better ROI if you're buying it so cheap and it does actually appreciate. Just my 2c

41 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

You think Saga has a ton of room to grow in the next decade? No way I'd pay what is being asked for it now,  I don't see it. Black Science is dirt cheap, I don't see how it couldn't have a better ROI if you're buying it so cheap and it does actually appreciate. Just my 2c

I think pretty much all Remender #1's are a good buy, not just for potential value, but they also tend to be great reads. Seems like it's only a matter of time before it all starts getting developed.

23 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I think pretty much all Remender #1's are a good buy, not just for potential value, but they also tend to be great reads. Seems like it's only a matter of time before it all starts getting developed.

He has work horsed his way into my top....  3 - 5 modern writers. One of the few guys working that is an automatic read when a new book comes out, though I think he might be stretching himself a bit thin now.

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Couldn't agree more. And with that being said, here's what's on my buy list currently:

Hulk #449

Deadly Class #1

Invincible #7, #13

Southern Bastards #1

Hulk 449 is a very good one and I agree in the search. I have a few myself.

Nailbiter and Southern Bastards have been on my radar since their 1st issues. SB still brings very good money for a #1 in Cgc 9.8. I still have quite a few Deadly Class #1A but I'm not pursuing that book. I think its very, very good but I have enough of a stash to make me happy.

The books I can't pass on are

Stormwatch #37 - 1st Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor among others

Stormwatch #4- 1st Midnighter and Apollo ( just got a 9.4,  9.6, and 9.8 from CGC, sent more in )

The Authority #1 - ( I now own over 40 copies of this book. I buy at least 1 every month )

The Authority #13 - ( Mark Millar's 1st go at this team, almost as good as Ellis, not quite )

Planetary #1 - 1st Elijah Snow, Jakita, and the Drummer. This is as good as a comic gets. 20 plus copies in my collection.

East of West #1 - Death as a hero ? How good can a book get ? Well, there's Planetary, The Authority, and East of West that are the pinnacle of comics to date for me. I've managed to accumulate over 100 copies of #1 and more than 10 compete sets. There is no book on the shelves that I'd rather read or collect. Numerous interesting characters exist in this universe and I'm expecting issue #50 is only the end of part of that universe.

JLA #1 Grant Morrison's run. This is the series that actually made Batman the equal of all of the superpowered crowd. Prior to this run, it was hard to really imagine how Batman could hang with the big boys, much less why he'd be on their team. I buy 1 of these a month too.

JSA # 1 by Geoff Johns - made these characters right at home in modern times. 

Adam Hughes covers stood out to me long before he was who he is today. I buy almost every ting he does.

Alex Ross covers, especially from JSA in 9.8 condition are tough finds imo. I buy those too.

There is a ton of pricey stuff I buy but this is about undervalued, future potential books. Almost all of the above can be had for $10 or less and most will do better longterm than the best 2 $4 to $5 books you'll pick up at your LCS today.  

51 minutes ago, the authority said:

Hulk 449 is a very good one and I agree in the search. I have a few myself.

Nailbiter and Southern Bastards have been on my radar since their 1st issues. SB still brings very good money for a #1 in Cgc 9.8. I still have quite a few Deadly Class #1A but I'm not pursuing that book. I think its very, very good but I have enough of a stash to make me happy.

The books I can't pass on are

Stormwatch #37 - 1st Jenny Sparks and Jack Hawksmoor among others

Stormwatch #4- 1st Midnighter and Apollo ( just got a 9.4,  9.6, and 9.8 from CGC, sent more in )

The Authority #1 - ( I now own over 40 copies of this book. I buy at least 1 every month )

The Authority #13 - ( Mark Millar's 1st go at this team, almost as good as Ellis, not quite )

Planetary #1 - 1st Elijah Snow, Jakita, and the Drummer. This is as good as a comic gets. 20 plus copies in my collection.

East of West #1 - Death as a hero ? How good can a book get ? Well, there's Planetary, The Authority, and East of West that are the pinnacle of comics to date for me. I've managed to accumulate over 100 copies of #1 and more than 10 compete sets. There is no book on the shelves that I'd rather read or collect. Numerous interesting characters exist in this universe and I'm expecting issue #50 is only the end of part of that universe.

JLA #1 Grant Morrison's run. This is the series that actually made Batman the equal of all of the superpowered crowd. Prior to this run, it was hard to really imagine how Batman could hang with the big boys, much less why he'd be on their team. I buy 1 of these a month too.

JSA # 1 by Geoff Johns - made these characters right at home in modern times. 

Adam Hughes covers stood out to me long before he was who he is today. I buy almost every ting he does.

Alex Ross covers, especially from JSA in 9.8 condition are tough finds imo. I buy those too.

There is a ton of pricey stuff I buy but this is about undervalued, future potential books. Almost all of the above can be had for $10 or less and most will do better longterm than the best 2 $4 to $5 books you'll pick up at your LCS today.  

I sold all my Deadly Class when it was optioned. They are back to normal prices so there is room for them to grow, again, and I am buying with profits anyway.

I hadn't seen a Stormwatch #4 in my searches until the past couple of months and I've found two. Unsure about long term with these unless they are 9.8.

East of West is a great story. I will say though that I've never been all-out in terms of value appreciation. Lots of people bought in early, plenty to go around. It's a tough story to comprehend until you get fairly well into it because of all the players.

I didn't realize that Deadly Class had fallen back down. Its pretty tough to keep up with everything isn't it ? I'd say at current prices, you're absolutely on to something with Deadly Class #1. 

As for the Stormwatch #4, it isn't rare but its not overly abundant either. In my personal experience, it's a very tough 9.8. I'm not going to suggest anyone pay big on a 9.4 but I'm happy with that grade for my PC. Think their is value there too. Midnighter is probably a B tier character at best in the DCU but they seem determined to bring him to the A tier level ? I can see him being a perfect foe for Batman with both thinking they're the good guys. 

I know a lot of people who dropped East of West because of scheduling but I'm betting they'll want to have the run one day. The number of characters is very large but many are very memorable. Probably the biggest surprise so far was that it appeared to be the Ranger's story in the early previews. He has been an important character but not a to 5 imo. Its a very large cast for a very personal story. While there are very familiar characters with very different looks, the most interesting is Babylon. A lesson of how environment and those around us can change our views and in this case, literally. 

8 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Hulk #449

Deadly Class #1

Invincible #7, #13

Southern Bastards #1

Why Invincible 7 and 13? I'm going to assume the tough white covers, but there aren't any big 1st appearances. 

Numbers seem to back 10, 11, 12 in that order as the least distributed. 

5 should be a good bet aside from 1 and 2 as it's the first Allen the Alien. 

2 hours ago, GLCBrad said:

Why Invincible 7 and 13? I'm going to assume the tough white covers, but there aren't any big 1st appearances. 

Numbers seem to back 10, 11, 12 in that order as the least distributed. 

5 should be a good bet aside from 1 and 2 as it's the first Allen the Alien. 

Was wondering the same thing.

On 5/17/2017 at 11:29 AM, F For Fake said:

So I should slab my Captain Dingleberry #1?

1,000 copies of Harbinger #3 (2012) pulled from $1 discount boxes around the country. :foryou:

First appearance of the "new" Livewire for the Valiant Universe, important character in multiple series including Secret Weapons being written by the Oscar-nominated writer of Arrival (movie).

About 16,000 printed.  $1 each.  Buy 1,000. lol

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

1,000 copies of Harbinger #3 (2012) pulled from $1 discount boxes around the country. :foryou:

First appearance of the "new" Livewire for the Valiant Universe, important character in multiple series including Secret Weapons being written by the Oscar-nominated writer of Arrival (movie).

About 16,000 printed.  $1 each.  Buy 1,000. lol

Doing your handle justice.

Course if it went to $10, then hey!

Just now, Drbearsec said:

Doing your handle justice.

Course if it went to $10, then hey!

It's already worth $3 to $5, but it has been discounted since about 2013 and lots of sellers/shops haven't noticed and pulled them from the dollar boxes.

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

It's already worth $3 to $5, but it has been discounted since about 2013 and lots of sellers/shops haven't noticed and pulled them from the dollar boxes.

Good to know... I'll start taking a look