• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many is too many "grails"?
1 1

76 posts in this topic

Go on CAF and read descriptions...90% of them people claim "I have my grail"  the word is over used and misused.  I own a Kirby JIM splash, a Mcfarlane ASM splash and a Bolland WW cover...I consider none of them to be "grails"  

10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Go on CAF and read descriptions...90% of them people claim "I have my grail"  the word is over used and misused.  I own a Kirby JIM splash, a Mcfarlane ASM splash and a Bolland WW cover...I consider none of them to be "grails"  

Are you saying that only specific pieces by specific artists can be grails?

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm ok with using "grail" for multiple, select items of a very personal significance.  And I don't mean AF15 or Action 1 - I mean items that have an important, mostly nostalgic association to me.  The term grail has been so abused in the last fifteen years that I've actually learned to roll with it's modernized definition, I guess.   But I don't abuse the word so badly that every Heritage action I see a "grail."  On the other hand, I probably have about a dozen "grails" that I have been on the hunt for over the last several years, with one "holy grail" at the top of the heap which transcends all of them slightly.  

Cornerstone is good, but it just doesn't sound right to me.  Under-grails?  I don't know...

I have no grail. There are pieces I would love to own, and would make reasonable sacrifices to buy if any became obtainable, but nothing I obsess over. I like so many great OA pages that I find it hard to pick just one that would qualify. 

I think "grail-level" is a good way to define it. 

And I am not of the camp who thinks it necessarily wrong to sell your grail. Sometimes, the thrill is in the chase. Obtaining your grail may be more satisfying than possessing it long term. 

People are odd creatures. 

P.S. - How about "The One?" 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

1 hour ago, nrad1968 said:

@comix4fun   you beat me to it wit the Highlander reference...in the end, there can be only one!!!

It's the short version of saying "The Grail" didn't come as part of a service for 12 from Crate and Barrel. 

1ujzsp.jpg

I thought I had a grail once. I got it. Turns out, it really wasn't. Learned my lesson.

I think if this was a hobby rule-- that you can have as many "grails" as you want, but if you ever sell one, for any reason other than an absolute legit emergency, then the rest of us are allowed to mock/ridicule/shame you forever-- there'd be a lot less collectors proclaiming grails and the word might actually regain some meaning.

37 minutes ago, Nexus said:

I thought I had a grail once. I got it. Turns out, it really wasn't. Learned my lesson.

I think if this was a hobby rule-- that you can have as many "grails" as you want, but if you ever sell one, for any reason other than an absolute legit emergency, then the rest of us are allowed to mock/ridicule/shame you forever-- there'd be a lot less collectors proclaiming grails and the word might actually regain some meaning.

Grail taunting  

IMG_2071.GIF

Edited by PhilipB2k17

I think "grail" is completely appropriate and not overused.  I searched for pieces for years that seemed just out of reach and then, I was finally able to obtain them.  I looked for the Killing Joke page for almost 20 years and the same for the Secrets of the Batcave piece.  Are they grails to everyone, no.  But to me, they were the realization of a dream and something I didn't think I could obtain but finally did.  If that isn't a grail, what is?   I say embrace the grail.  Pursue it.  Carpe Diem!!! :)