• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Storing art in a basement advice
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hi Board,

I have an unfinished basement and I'm wondering if it would be OK to store my art there - I just bought some flat file draws that are too big for where my art is now so they're in the basement.

I'm located in Ohio, so a mild climate, and the basement is obviously the coolest part of the house.  The washer/dryer are located in the basement too, as is an always-on humidifier.

So at the moment, I'm seeing reasons why not to do it, but maybe I'm just overly concerned.  If everything is bagged, does that change anything?

Thanks!

Simon

13 minutes ago, GotSuperPowers? said:

Hi Board,

I have an unfinished basement and I'm wondering if it would be OK to store my art there - I just bought some flat file draws that are too big for where my art is now so they're in the basement.

I'm located in Ohio, so a mild climate, and the basement is obviously the coolest part of the house.  The washer/dryer are located in the basement too, as is an always-on humidifier.

So at the moment, I'm seeing reasons why not to do it, but maybe I'm just overly concerned.  If everything is bagged, does that change anything?

Thanks!

Simon

Did you mean always on "de" humidifier? If so you should probably be ok. I would purchase (or repurpose) many of those silica packets, placing one inside each drawer of the flat file...as well as some cedar blocks (available in most department stores as people place these in their closets, and finally one of these....  https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Humidity-Temperature/dp/B01H1R0K68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494251913&sr=8-1&keywords=humidity+gauge

Monitor the humidity levels and as long as they are within reason (nothing above 45%) you should be ok. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

Did you mean always on "de" humidifier? If so you should probably be ok. I would purchase (or repurpose) many of those silica packets, placing one inside each drawer of the flat file...as well as some cedar blocks (available in most department stores as people place these in their closets, and finally one of these....  https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Humidity-Temperature/dp/B01H1R0K68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1494251913&sr=8-1&keywords=humidity+gauge

Monitor the humidity levels and as long as they are within reason (nothing above 45%) you should be ok. 

Hey Chris,

Yes, sorry, I did indeed mean a dehumidifier.  I'm not sure what you mean by silica packets - what are they?

Any concerns around bugs?  Before my collecting time, but I recall something about silverfish eating art...

Simon

Just now, GotSuperPowers? said:

Hey Chris,

Yes, sorry, I did indeed mean a dehumidifier.  I'm not sure what you mean by silica packets - what are they?

Any concerns around bugs?  Before my collecting time, but I recall something about silverfish eating art...

Simon

Silverfish usually only come out  when there's excessive moisture. Keeping everything off the ground, and dry, should prevent that. issue.

Silica packets are the little white packets inserted with electronics, or shoes or anything else the manufacturer wants to keep dry in shipping and storage. Little while bag of granules. They are desiccants, absorbing moisture. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-Packets-Desiccant-Dehumidifiers/dp/B00DYKTS9C

3 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Silverfish usually only come out  when there's excessive moisture. Keeping everything off the ground, and dry, should prevent that. issue.

Silica packets are the little white packets inserted with electronics, or shoes or anything else the manufacturer wants to keep dry in shipping and storage. Little while bag of granules. They are desiccants, absorbing moisture. 

https://www.amazon.com/Gram-Silica-Packets-Desiccant-Dehumidifiers/dp/B00DYKTS9C

Perfect, thanks again Chris!  And the Amazon links are much appreciated!  I bought both things, and the Radiohead OK computer OKNOTOK album too.

:foryou: for you!

Simon

11 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

I also live in Central Ohio. The Ohio Valley is low and flat, it floods a LOT. You have at least one sump right?

I'm in Northeast Ohio, and on top of a hill, but yes, we have a sump pump. 

Simon

10 hours ago, eewwnuk said:

yeah, basements are prone to too many water issues - flood or pipes.  if you have another floor as an option I would do that.

Sadly the size of the flat files I just invested in rule out my 2 ft deep closets that I've been using up until now.

I've had art hanging on the walls of my basement for going on 17 years now with no issues.

If you don't have moisture issues with your basement, and it is or would be a comfortable living space, and you keep the pieces in the flat file well up off the floor, I'd say you'll be OK. Keeping stuff bagged or sleeved is probably a good idea too if it's just going to sit there.

Some flat files sit on the floor. I'd put some kind of legs under it, if it doesn't have any already. Keep it a good 3-4" off the ground in case of any potential flooding from a burst pipe or water heater, etc.

Or, put it in the living room/family room as a coffee table? Seen some really great setups like that.

d086f4878aeca83cc24306cadf2aaab9.jpg

Table-Great-Ikea-Coffee-Table-Crate-Coff

flat20file201.jpg

Antique-oak-flat-file-coffee-table-2.jpg

Edited by ESeffinga

7 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I've had art hanging on the walls of my basement for going on 17 years now with no issues.

If you don't have moisture issues with your basement, and it is or would be a comfortable living space, and you keep the pieces in the flat file well up off the floor, I'd say you'll be OK. Keeping stuff bagged or sleeved is probably a good idea too if it's just going to sit there.

Some flat files sit on the floor. I'd put some kind of legs under it, if it doesn't have any already. Keep it a good 3-4" off the ground in case of any potential flooding from a burst pipe or water heater, etc.

Or, put it in the living room/family room as a coffee table? Seen some really great setups like that.

d086f4878aeca83cc24306cadf2aaab9.jpg

Table-Great-Ikea-Coffee-Table-Crate-Coff

flat20file201.jpg

Antique-oak-flat-file-coffee-table-2.jpg

Those look really cool!  When we eventually finish the basement I could imagine doing something like that, if it wasn't for the thought that my kids would be the main visitors to the basement and I don't want to promote the idea of getting at the contents within!

In addition to the comments already made, and as an appraiser sent in during post-loss situations, it appears that one of the things people never anticipate well is the location of their collections in relation to plumbing.  Overhead/vertical plumbing, hot water tanks, drains, etc. Most people think of elevating from the ground, but leaking/spraying pipes can cause just as much damage. Sump pumps are (supposed to be) great at moving water away from the foundation. However unless you have it connected to underground drainage pipes (and downspouts) and your lot grading is sloped in a manner that effectively moves water away from your home, a sump pump hole can be another point of water entry in an overflow scenario.  In addition to monitoring temperature, the moisture around your home, seasonal water table levels and how active your sump pump is are things to remain mindful of, especially as most of the water damage loss claims seem to happen when people are away from their homes for extended periods of time.

Edited by comicwiz

I store my art in a safe in my basement.  It's a finished basement with a dehumidifier always on.  I also have two Remington dehumidifiers in with the art.  They're the kind you plug into the wall and the little balls dry out.

Edited by artdisease

1 hour ago, artdisease said:

I store my art in a safe in my basement.  It's a finished basement with a dehumidifier always on.  I also have two Remington dehumidifiers in with the art.  They're the kind you plug into the wall and the little balls dry out.

Do you have one of these? They are great to ensure the dehumidifiers are working.

https://www.amazon.com/Goldenrod-222532-GoldenRod-Wireless-Hygrometer/dp/B00HS7HUPQ

Gives the relative interior and exterior temps and humidity. 

Edited by comix4fun