• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Duck Love?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Duck Love?

I've noticed that HOWARD THE DUCK makes ANOTHER appearance in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and yet he has not exploded in the collector's market. Unlike WARLOCK (who hasn't even appeared) has exploded on the speculator market. What gives? No love for THE DUCK?

I for one love the DUCK. I am buying all the high grade ADVENTURE INTO FEAR #19 I can and issue 1.

I would love to see a ROCKET RACCOON and HOWARD THE DUCK Team-up!

Adventure+into+Fear+19.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme

I have two copies of #1 in VF/NM that I bought on the cheap.  Was aggressively pursuing a 9.6 over at CL a couple of auctions ago, but lost out in the end.  Was actually surprised at how high it went for so I guess there are still some folks out there who has interest in this book besides me.

50 minutes ago, divad said:

Love the duck, but most of us HTD fans were there at the beginning.  Not sure the younger fans get it. :)

What gets me is that he's appeared twice in a Marvel movie. Despite the awful 1980s movie he at least had a movie. Marvel seems to have a hard time knowing what to do with the Duck but he somehow fits in the GUARDIANS of the GALAXY. Is this Howard before he appears on Earth or was he "plucked" by the Collector which implies that he is the last of his species. What if Howard becomes a Guardian? Highly doubtful but you never know. There's got to be something going on. My spider sense is tingling.

th.jpg

I don't get Howard The Duck.  I started reading comics in the late 80's and never knew about Howard until more recently. To me the character just seems out of place compared to the rest of the characters in the Marvel Universe. Without reading any of the comics, so it's hard for me to criticize, it almost seems as if Howard is just a more adult version knock off of Daffy Duck. Now, I thought Looney Tunes were awesome as a kid but back here in the year 2017 it seems like those characters are for the most part dead too. I will admit though I did like Howard's line in Guardians of the Galaxy.

4 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

I don't get Howard The Duck.  I started reading comics in the late 80's and never knew about Howard until more recently. To me the character just seems out of place compared to the rest of the characters in the Marvel Universe. Without reading any of the comics, so it's hard for me to criticize, it almost seems as if Howard is just a more adult version knock off of Daffy Duck. Now, I thought Looney Tunes were awesome as a kid but back here in the year 2017 it seems like those characters are for the most part dead too. I will admit though I did like Howard's line in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Nah, Howard is only funny because he's played straight. Though he has a sort of Ben Grimm personality. Marvel's version of Daffy Duck (I am not picking on the character) is Deadpool. He wisecracks and breaks the fourth wall similarly.

Howard actually has a funny animal look but is played straight; kinda like Cerebus, I guess. If the raccoon can work, he probably can. He's definitely strange but not necessarily silly. Hope that helps. The original,Serbia is cheap to check out.

The original series also had a huge print run for #1 IIRC. It ran up fast and crashed for a few months. I like Fear 19 a lot more for "buy the key now" purposes.

His first appearance in Fear #19 (and subsequent "death" in Man-Thing #1) was very brief and offbeat. To me, the comic where he really hit the ground running (waddling) was his first feature-length appearance in Giant Size Man-Thing #4. Here's one I recently snagged.

29812331566_a9f85ca3e9_o.jpg&key=648a8a9

13 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

His first appearance in Fear #19 (and subsequent "death" in Man-Thing #1) was very brief and offbeat. To me, the comic where he really hit the ground running (waddling) was his first feature-length appearance in Giant Size Man-Thing #4. Here's one I recently snagged.

29812331566_a9f85ca3e9_o.jpg&key=648a8a9

I could see that too; I just absolutely loved the offbeat roll-out. Howard, Man-Thing, that wizard, the damsel in the Red Sonja-looking bikini...it was a very motley crew a la the rag tag groupings that made Star Wars' original little sextet and the modern GOTG so popular. Same vibe; classic picaresque story in Fear 19/Man-thing 1. But yes Howard was part of an ensemble, not front and center.

It is without a hint of irony or sarcasm that I say that now that Disney owns both the Marvel and Star Wars properties that I could see one day Rocket and Groot in the Han/Chewy roles that the girl and the black guy now play. The formula of putting the team together works, from The Odyssey to The Blues Brothers.

I enjoy Steve Gerber's surreal, ridiculous humour, and his equally ridiculous characters.

I started reading comics in the 70s,  and I'm still very fond of these stories.

Edited by Ken Aldred

5 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I enjoy Steve Gerber's surreal, ridiculous humour, and his equally ridiculous characters.

Remember the gun-toting elf assassin from The Defenders?

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Remember the gun-toting elf assassin from The Defenders?

Yup.

Around the time of the classic Headmen story arc.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:16 AM, Ken Aldred said:

That's what I'm talking' about!(thumbsu

On 6/29/2017 at 10:46 AM, Paul_Maul said:

At one point, I must have liked him enough to draw this:

image.jpeg

That's pretty awesome Paul! Looks like you hung it up in your dorm room and threw darts at it . . . :grin:

On 6/28/2017 at 0:59 AM, VegasJeff said:

I don't see any resemblance between Daffy and Howard other than they're ducks.

Try reading the original Howard the Duck run from #1 up.  I loved the series back in the day.   His villains were very unusual.

I enjoyed Gerber's work a lot when I was in high school. Interestingly, I find that what drives my collecting interest now is more what I was into as a 7-12 year old than what I enjoyed later.

Edited by Paul_Maul