• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Lobster Johnson is going to appear in Hellboy.

Heck yes! :whee:

Now that is a cool trailer! Much more gory than expected and what I envision is alot closer to what Mignola probably had in mind with the source material. Looking forward to this!!

22 hours ago, paperheart said:

RT prediction: 32

based on 1 positive review of first 18 on Metacritic, i may have been wildly optimistic :sick:

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/hellboy-2019/critic-reviews

oh, yeah- gonna give Fantastic Four,The Spirit and Jonah Hex a run for their money

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellboy_2019

Edited by paperheart

'It's fun - it's dumb - but I enjoyed it and I liked watching it. The story takes a while to get through. It ain't that fresh of a movie.' :( (shrug)

Edited by Bosco685

Screen Junkies saw this as his first-ever Hellboy movie. 'After a half-hour, it turns into madness and chaos...one of the most incomprehensible experiences in my lifetime. A narrative disaster!' :(

IGN. This is anything but a welcome return of Big Red. It tries to make a new cast work. But the key casts had no chemistry. The B.P.R.D. is more a kill squad.Rated - BAD! :(

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

I was worried this was going to be quite the hurdle when they abandoned the original stories and cast. But I figured they would pull it together.

Mike Mignola was posting messages before this he had much more creative control in this film than the original two. I wonder if this may be part of the hurdle. No experienced filmmaker driving the ship, and able to push back.

No offense to Mike Mignola. But he had quite a bit of influence with Hellboy 1 and 2. Del Toro had him even help approve character designs.

Edited by Bosco685

Uh-ooh. This sounds like some rough interaction on the set with creative leads.

Hellboy the comic-book character was born of an unholy union of woman and demon. But the latest “Hellboy” movie was born of clashes between director Neil Marshall and two of the film’s 16 producers.

Insiders on the film told TheWrap about a series of disagreements that boiled over when the producers decided to replace Marshall’s go-to cinematographer, Sam McCurdy. Other spats involved rehearsals, star David Harbour and the design of a tree, insiders said.

Two people familiar with the situation said McCurdy was fired simply for doing what Marshall asked him to do, and that producers Lawrence Gordon and Lloyd Levin were trying to send a message to Marshall that despite being the film’s director, Marshall was not in charge.

An attorney for Levin said that was not the case. “While my client will not comment on why Sam McCurdy was fired as that is a private matter, be advised that it was a group decision and it had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Mr. Levin supposedly sending any kind of ‘message’ to Neil Marshall,” said the attorney, Martin Singer, in an email to TheWrap.

Several issues remain in dispute:

• Three people told TheWrap that Levin interrupted Marshall frequently in front of the crew as Marshall tried to rehearse actors, sometimes giving them different directions than the director. Singer’s attorney disputed that: “In fact, Mr. Levin would speak to Neil Marshall after rehearsals and discuss issues with him at that time.”

• Two insiders said Harbour repeatedly walked off set, refusing Marshall’s requests for more takes. Singer responded for Levin: “My client has no recollection of that ever happening. To the contrary, David Harbour gave everything he was asked of and more during filming.”

• Two insiders said the -script was re-written throughout the production. One said those doing the rewriting included actors Harbour and co-star Ian McShane. Singer responded: “Only a few scenes were rewritten during production, and neither David Harbour nor Ian McShane did any rewriting of the screenplay at all. Rewriting certain scenes of a movie during production is customary in the entertainment industry, including by actors, producers, writers and directors.”

• One insider described a prolonged dispute over a surreal tree that figures prominently in the film. Marshall wanted a realistic-looking, asymmetrical tree. But the insider said Levin overruled him, insisting on a symmetrical tree. Then, in postproduction, the tree became asymmetrical again. Singer disputed any suggestion that Levin “somehow mucked it up in a back-and-forth tug-of-war over symmetry versus asymmetry,” adding: “The design of the tree, like hundreds of other design elements in the movie, went through an exhaustive design and evolution process.”

On 4/6/2019 at 1:36 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

I am keeping an eye on that. I am hoping Hellboy does big box office to prove that non-Marvel/DC heroes can succeed at the box office. If Hellboy does well maybe this would get the new Spawn movie done quicker.

:wishluck:

better keep your eyes closed. w/ these reviews, they should be overjoyed w/ $50MM US total.