• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, oakman29 said:

I am dismayed to think Ron Pearlman would not be Hellboy. I understand Mignola in his vision, but without Pearlman? C'MON!

Yeh, he was perfect...but he is 67. If they are rebooting the series, that won't happen probably for a few more years. Then, if the reboot is successful, they'll want sequels. You can't do that if your main character is in his mid-70's. 

With that said, I like this guy. If you haven't seen Stranger Things, you're missing out. He's a damn good actor.

4 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Yeh, he was perfect...but he is 67. If they are rebooting the series, that won't happen probably for a few more years. Then, if the reboot is successful, they'll want sequels. You can't do that if your main character is in his mid-70's. 

With that said, I like this guy. If you haven't seen Stranger Things, you're missing out. He's a damn good actor.

Pearlman did do a great job and Harrison Ford will be playing Indiana Jones at 77.  If Chris Pine can take over for Shatner then nothing is sacred.  If Mignola sells Hellboy to Disney someday you can rest assured the next 6 generations or so will be watching Hellboy reboots.

6 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

I hope so. Hellboy is quite possibly the coolest newer character thats come out in the last 30 years.

10 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

Pearlman did do a great job and Harrison Ford will be playing Indiana Jones at 77.  If Chris Pine can take over for Shatner then nothing is sacred.  If Mignola sells Hellboy to Disney someday you can rest assured the next 6 generations or so will be watching Hellboy reboots.

Yeh, but Harrison Ford is playing a 77 year old Indiana Jones...not an age-defying demon with a body builder physique. The average age expectancy for males is 76. The Indiana Jones franchise is playing with house money at this point. Technology can do anything, but if I were a producer willing to put 9-figures on a movie like this, expecting a franchise of a few movies/a trilogy, I wouldn't want to play Russian roulette with the mortality tables...

9 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Yeh, but Harrison Ford is playing a 77 year old Indiana Jones...not an age-defying demon with a body builder physique. The average age expectancy for males is 76. The Indiana Jones franchise is playing with house money at this point. Technology can do anything, but if I were a producer willing to put 9-figures on a movie like this, expecting a franchise of a few movies/a trilogy, I wouldn't want to play Russian roulette with the mortality tables...

You're absolutely right. This new guy will have big shoes to fill( pun intended).

54 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Now that is a very interesting choice. No wonder why Mike Mignola shot del Toro down.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Now that is a very interesting choice. No wonder why Mike Mignola shot del Toro down.

Yep. Can't wait to see the fanboy photoshop for him...starting tomorrow. 

220px-David_Harbour_(17015322391).jpg

I'll be happy to see a new Hellboy movie, but I'm guarded.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2.  They were super refreshing to me.  The casting, the effects, the lighting...all of it was great!  Big shoes to fill, for sure.

2 hours ago, Turtle said:

I'll be happy to see a new Hellboy movie, but I'm guarded.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2.  They were super refreshing to me.  The casting, the effects, the lighting...all of it was great!  Big shoes to fill, for sure.

Same sentiment here. Super excited...but I'm skeptical they can capture the look and feel of the first 2.

I'm not sure how to feel about this.  Perlman and Del Toro aside, I loved the use of practical effects and makeup in the original two.  If this reboot ends up looking like the CGI used in the new Beauty and the Beast, I think I'll pass.

My problem was the first 2 films felt NOTHING like the comic does. I watched them. I've seen them more than a couple times over the years. They were fine for what they were. I liked the cast. The first story was lame but the cast was great in it. The second story and cast were better, but way too much 3 Stooges dumb humor in it that totally busted the vibe for me.

Not what I really wanted a Hellboy movie to me. They are a different artist (del Toro) and a different medium, but I never felt like they were Mike's vision of Hellboy. He seemed happy but as a HB fan, I wasn't.

If the new film pushes closer to Mike's storytelling and visual sensibilities, I'll be thrilled. I love new takes on Hellboy so long as the character feels "right". I've read the comics, the rest of the "Mignolaverse" books, and I've read the actual novels not written by Mignola. All have a different feel, depending on the writer, but still come across as Hellboy. For me the Del Toro films came across a bit too heavy on the camp. Too little sardonic, deadpan and gallows humor. Mignola's humor is always there but never cheesy. Del Toro's often is. And that's fine if you want to see a certain kind of Del Toro film. It totally worked for me with Pacific Rim.

I also love Del Toro's personal flicks. Devil's Backbone, Chronos, Pan's Labrinth. Even Crimson Peak to a degree.

But the Hellboy stuff... I never thought it was a good fit. So I'm looking forward to this in good faith. If it isn't good. I'll certainly say so. :)

Edited by ESeffinga

5 hours ago, gadzukes said:

How about a Netflix series of BPRD.  There's SO many cool stories to be told and you can't do that in 1 movie.  I'd like to see a series.

Would LOVE to see this happen.

I'm all for the reboot. But there is a cause for fretting. Let me start off by saying I like the first two Hellboy movies. I think they are excellent. I love the steampunky feel, Nazi/Russian/mythical/elven tie-ins, but (like most superhero movies) it's commonly acknowledged that it is only passingly faithful to the source material.

The last hellboy movie was 9 years ago, and though it is a good long time, it isn't long enough necessarily for the public to be able to watch a reboot with fresh eyes. (see Fantastic 4, Spider-Man, Superman etc.) This is primarily an issue because on-the-whole a majority of Hellboy fans are, in fact, fans of DelToro's Hellboy*. And as we all know Del Toro won't be working on this, and furthermore because of the smaller studio, it obviously won't have the Del Toro sized budget to go along with it. As comic book fans, the most we can hope for is a Mignola Hellboy movie that is more true to the comics. But those 3 facets (No Del Toro, No Troll Market money, Comic book Hellboy feel) are what may actually doom would could otherwise be a spectacular movie.

I actually presumed Del Toro was done with Hellboy when I read that article where Mignola was talking about the 2nd film. And he basically said that he was giving Del Toro some suggestions about how Hellboy would act, and that the --script was a bit divergent, and Del Toro basically told him "I don't need any more of your suggestions. Your Hellboy wouldn't say that. But mine does." And in that interview Mignola said that he took that as his queue that Del Toro had no further need of his input.  So any chance for a 3rd Hellboy would pretty much be devoid of Mignola or his sign-off.

(Personally, I have a feeling that Mignola did have the planned sit down discussions with Del Toro where he said "Let's do it, but I have some suggestions" and Del Toro said "I just need your sign-off to do the movie. Not any of your suggestions." And Mignola was like "Thanks for the cup of coffee. Good luck on Troll Hunters!")

But my imagining off backroom dealings on multi-million dollar movie productions aside, this movie does have the potential to fulfill Mignola Hellboy fan hopes. If you like the dark gritty themes in Hellboy comics, this movie has the potential to give you the goods. This studio doesn't have the money to pull-off Troll Markets, but suspense building and large foreboding shadowy sterile domains, they can probably afford. And 'No Del Toro' means that there  is a chance that Mignola will have a better chance at some input to give us a movie that will not only have a familiar story (Blood Queen - Wild Hunt/The Storm/The Fury) but also show us the titular character the way YOU and I know him.

My only critique for the reboot is that I actually would prefer a CGI hellboy. Ron Perlman did a fantastic job in the roll, but he's not 8' tall and Del Toro made no attempt at forced perspective or camera angle shots to give him that size that he has in the comic books. They also did not have the money to give Hellboy split-hooved feet. I was actually happy with the CGI version of Colossus in Deadpool and if they had the money to do something similar with Hellboy, I'd be very happy. But it doesn't sound like Millennium studios will have the money to do either corrective CGI. I would also be delighted to see some of the BPRD characters make cameos (Anyone else want to see Panya, Bill Daimio, Roger, or Sidney Leach?). And though I can only imagine the vitriol that would spew out of the internet from "hellboy fans", I wouldn't at all be upset if Abe was reimagined a bit more like his comic character.

*So, you say, "how do you know that most Hellboy fans only like Del Toro's version?" Well, I don't... but I know that most Dark Horse prints between 10k and 15k copies of Hellboy tiles at a time. So unless 1mil people are reading Hellboy comics online or in the comic shop and putting them right back on the shelf, most people that call themselves fans of Hellboy are referring to the Del Toro version. 

-Terry

Edited by Firespitter