• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

Millennium and Lionsgate’s Hellboy reboot earned a miserable $3.88 million (-67.8%) second weekend and $19.676 million ten-day total. If that holds, it’ll be the tenth-biggest second-weekend drop ever for a “big” comic book superhero flick, behind Man of Steel, Fantastic Four, Wolverine, Elektra, Batman v Superman, Jonah Hex, Hulk, Hellboy II (huh...) and Steel.

I saw it today...going to see Mignola on Sunday and figured I'd see it before then. I was the only one in the theater and seems like it was the last day showing at this cinema. I enjoyed it but it did have a bunch of needless gore. But it was great fun to see so many characters from the books on the screen done so well. I see why the editing got some complaints but all in all I thought it was well done. Certain aspects didn't look right...his right hand of doom in the beginning especially. They were pretty faithful to the comics from what I recall and seeing Hellboy with his horns grown leading the apocalypse was groovy. Nice touch at the end to set up Abe Sapien for the sequel but doesn't look like that will come about unfortunately.

8 hours ago, Bird said:

I saw it today...going to see Mignola on Sunday and figured I'd see it before then. I was the only one in the theater and seems like it was the last day showing at this cinema. I enjoyed it but it did have a bunch of needless gore. But it was great fun to see so many characters from the books on the screen done so well. I see why the editing got some complaints but all in all I thought it was well done. Certain aspects didn't look right...his right hand of doom in the beginning especially. They were pretty faithful to the comics from what I recall and seeing Hellboy with his horns grown leading the apocalypse was groovy. Nice touch at the end to set up Abe Sapien for the sequel but doesn't look like that will come about unfortunately.

Thank you for sharing this.

But I would hate to be in a theater by myself. Part of the fun of seeing a big movie like this is supposed to be is hearing and seeing the reaction from others. Like when I went to see Deadpool, and people were losing their minds over the humor and zany action and it becomes like an entertainment multiplier.

That is a bummer even more to read they were lining up an Abe Sapien follow-up that may not come about any time soon.

48 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

Shame. No Hellboy movie for another few decades now. Movie was doomed from the start with all of the crappy critic ratings...

Basically non-Marvel/DC comic book movies don't seem to set the box office on fire.

Will be interesting to see how Bloodshot/Spawn do.

hm

8 minutes ago, Old_Man_Adam said:

I’d be surprised if Bloodshot OR Spawn do well - i Believe the last spawn film was made during the peak of its popularity and it was still a dud...

I think Bloodshot will do quite well because of Vin Diesel,but expect Spawn to bomb.

btw they are both my favorite Valiant and Image characters.

To say Hellboy had a helluva' time at the box office this year. After the franchise confirmed it was rebooting itself on the big screen, fans kept a close eye on the series as it made its way to theaters, but Hellboy failed to impress. Now, star David Harbour is opening up about the film, and Hellboy himself admits there were issues going on beyond his control. Recently, Harbour sat down with Digital Spy during a recent appearance at MCM London, and it was there the actor got real about Hellboy reboot.

"We did our best, but there's so many voices that go into these things and they're not always going to work out,” the actor said. Continuing, Harbour said he did what he could on set to help Hellboy along, and he’s proud to have done as much.

“I did what I could do and I feel proud of what I did, but ultimately I'm not in control of a lot of those things."

Of course, some of these reported problems on set did come to light after Hellboy made a dismal entry into theaters. The film debuted on Rotten Tomatoes to 9% but has since climbed to a meager 16% to date. The film’s rough reviews did not endear audiences at all, but Harbour believes those negative notes were in part due to some unfair comparisons involving the MCU.

"The problem that I have with comic book movies nowadays is that I think, and it's a result of the power of Marvel stuff, it's like chocolate, it's a flavor,” Harbour said. "I sort of want a world where there's more flavors than just comparisons to chocolate. So in that way when Hellboy is viewed on the chocolate spectrum, it does very poorly. That being said, it also has major problems.”

HELLBOY Creator Mike Mignola Weighs In On Whether The Character Could Move From Film To TV

hellboyani4kblu02.jpg

With the latest Hellboy movie starring David Harbour now available on Digital HD and Blu-ray (from today), I recently had the opportunity to talk to creator Mike Mignola and asked him whether he thinks Hellboy or some of his supporting characters could be a good fit for the small screen after the success another Dark Horse property, The Umbrella Academy, has found on Netflix.

"I think so. It's been discussed, it hasn't been discussed recently but I would obviously love that. At this point, there's twenty five years worth of Hellboy material and we've barely scratched the surface in terms of any of it being filmed. Also, I think I've laid the groundwork for a whole world, and I do it all the time, of new stories set in that Hellboy universe. I would love an outlet for all that material. I don't know...thank God these decisions are never up to me and I never pursue these things. I wait for someone to come to me and say 'We want to do this' but I would love to have that conversation."

With any luck, Hellboy will return somewhere down the line but TV definitely feels like a great fit for the beloved character and Harbour is no stranger to that world after starring in Stranger Things. 

Now a Hellboy TV show and possibly the BPRD would be much more fitting to tell an extended story. I'd love to see that.

I just flew back from Spain and watched Hellboy on the flight (on those tiny 6" screens).

I actually really liked parts of the movie, and loved that they were pulling elements right off the pages of the comic.

But...... it just didn't hold together very well overall and I suspect the effects maybe weren't that great (hard to tell on a 6" screen).  I was not impressed by the addition of Daimio (they barely roughed up his face.... I guess they were saving money on CG)

As previous posters have said, Hellboy/BPRD needs the Netflix treatment, the franchise would rock in an episodic format, using BPRD missions for each episode.  And maybe eliminating HB for some of the episodes, he certainly doesn't need to be there all the time since BPRD has so many great characters.

Edited by gadzukes

19 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I just flew back from Spain and watched Hellboy on the flight (on those tiny 6" screens).

I actually really liked parts of the movie, and loved that they were pulling elements right off the pages of the comic.

But...... it just didn't hold together very well overall and I suspect the effects maybe weren't that great (hard to tell on a 6" screen).  I was not impressed by the addition of Daimio (they barely roughed up his face.... I guess they were saving money on CG)

As previous posters have said, Hellboy/BPRD needs the Netflix treatment, the franchise would rock in an episodic format, using BPRD missions for each episode.  And maybe eliminating HB for some of the episodes, he certainly doesn't need to be there all the time since BPRD has so many great characters.

I just watched this last night for the first time too.

Not a horrible film. But I think part of the contributor to its box office results was they tried to jump around too much to convey the wider horror world of Hellboy, which may have been offsetting to general movie-goers. I'm a hardcore fan and was asking myself why they were throwing so many comic book stories into one film so rapidly. Including the appearance of Lobster Johnson ( :whee:) that really could have been a sequel focus.

Just my thoughts.