• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

The 2019 “Hellboy” reboot is set to hit Chinese cinemas on Monday, Nov. 9, more than a year and a half after its U.S. debut.

The film ranked as one of the biggest box office flops of 2019, grossing just $22 million stateside and $44.7 million worldwide, despite a production budget of $50 million.

Although interest in the film currently appears low in China, even the most modest of China runs could nonetheless help pull the film out of the red. Only 24,000 Chinese consumers had clicked to indicate they “want to see” the film on the Maoyan data platform as of Thursday, compared to the 123,000 people who are eager to see the upcoming nationalistic local war film “The Sacrifice.”

Directed by Neil Marshall, the superhero film stars David Harbour, Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane, Sasha Lane and Daniel Dae Kim. It was distributed elsewhere by Lionsgate and produced by Millennium Films, Summit Entertainment, Campbell Grobman Films, Dark Horse Entertainment and Lawrence Gordon Productions. The title was sold to Chinese distributor JL Vision Film by Millennium Media back in February 2019.

I never even knew there was another Hellboy movie after Perlman, I want to watch it now but Harbour's comments have sort of pissed me off a bit too much.

On 2/3/2023 at 10:39 AM, Boozad said:

I never even knew there was another Hellboy movie after Perlman, I want to watch it now but Harbour's comments have sort of pissed me off a bit too much.

The producers hired a seasoned director (Neil Marshall - Game of Thrones' 'The Watchers On The Wall' and 'Blackwater'), but then when he was done filming they took over and edited everything themselves.

Although I wanted Hellboy 3 instead, I had hoped something good would come from this. :facepalm:

On 2/3/2023 at 3:58 PM, Bosco685 said:

The producers hired a seasoned director (Neil Marshall - Game of Thrones' 'The Watchers On The Wall' and 'Blackwater'), but then when he was done filming they took over and edited everything themselves.

Although I wanted Hellboy 3 instead, I had hoped something good would come from this. :facepalm:

No surprise there really, I have no idea why producers do that kind of thing. Why hire a director to completely remove his vision? They never learn.

And to be fair to Harbour, having just read an interview in Variety from late last year he was bemoaning the fact he shouldn't have touched an established franchise. The original Hellboy movies would always be a tough one to match let alone beat. I think I'll watch it now.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, Boozad said:

No surprise there really, I have no idea why producers do that kind of thing. Why hire a director to completely remove his vision? They never learn.

And to be fair to Harbour, having just read an interview in Variety from late last year he was bemoaning the fact he shouldn't have touched an established franchise. The original Hellboy movies would always be a tough one to match let alone beat. I think I'll watch it now.

:golfclap: take one for the team and let me know how it goes! LOL

On 2/3/2023 at 10:39 AM, Boozad said:

I would still say check it out (which is what I say for everything that exists regarding Hellboy), as the main issues are the pacing/editing/-script. 

"Best" way to watch it is as series of short vignettes, do not watch it from start to finish all at once or it's gonna be a slog. Just put it on and watch the first part in Mexico - then shut it off the moment they change locations. If you feel satisfied with that, you can tap out and not watch the rest and quit while you are ahead; otherwise watch the next 'segment' some other day :D 

or just watch something much better if you need a Hellboy fix, such as 'Mike Mignola: Drawing Monsters.