• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELLBOY!! Movie reboot
3 3

209 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2017 at 1:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

So if someone enjoyed either (or both) of the previous movies, they must not be a fan? It's a thought. I disagree with that, as the first Hellboy movie is what got me back into comics.

There were scenes straight out of Seed of Destruction. To include the origin story.

I loved the two Hellboy movies. (shrug) Guess Im not a fan, NOT!

With 'Hellboy' Wrapped, David Harbour Promises Return of "Dad Bod"

You might be surprised, but it's true: David Harbour is a bonafide sex symbol, thanks to his role as Sheriff Jim Hopper in Stranger Things.

But the actor transformed his "soft" body to be the chiseled and muscular Hellboy in the upcoming reboot. Don't worry, though, as Harbour recently said he's hard at work in bringing back his "dad bod."

"I’ve already started the donut training. Six donuts a day! We’ll get there, folks," said Harbour, while speaking with Variety.

With his time on Hellboy wrapped, Harbour can get back to the form that made fans fall in love with his Croce-dancing character. The actor said he's happy that he didn't have to drastically transform his appearance before reaching "leading man" status.

"The fact is for years I had been trapped in a certain narcissism and a desire to have a certain body and look sexy," Harbour said. "The fact that I got famous and become a sex symbol around my normal frumpy love-handled self is so gratifying. And dare I say culturally gratifying as well.

"What makes someone sexy in my mind is who they are. It’s not necessarily how they look. If you have a dad bod, if you wear it well, and still shake your hips pretty good, I feel like you too can be a sex symbol! I think that’s what we should venerate as sexy. Not people who eat organic chicken all day and spend nine hours at the gym. That’s not a society that I really care about."

lol

Think of the diet book that will come from this.

GAME OF THRONES Star Ian McShane Reveals New Details About The HELLBOY Reboot

ian-mcshane-joins-hellboy-reboot.jpg

He'll be played by Ian McShane and the Game of Thrones actor has now revealed that this version of Broom will have a different dynamic with Hellboy to what we've previously seen on the big screen. 

"You don’t start with the birth of Hellboy," he confirmed, "but the relationship between [Hellboy and Broom] is quite crusty. Does he trust his father? [Hellboy asks], ‘Why didn’t you kill me? I’m a monster.’ It’s a little bit of a psychological battle against Hellboy. There’s one important moment in [the film] when [Hellboy] sort of thinks he’s fighting his own people, the outsiders. So, he’s being used by the insiders, which is me, if you like." That sounds very intriguing and should be fun to see!

As for whether or not his performance is inspired by the late John Hurt in any way, McShane added: "I’m sort of playing this part as a slight homage to John [Hurt]. I mean, I’m not playing it like him, obviously… but the relationship [with Hellboy] is very much the same."

Doug Jones Gives Advice To Next Abe Sapien Actor

Hellboy-Abe-Sapien.jpg?q=50&w=1000&h=500

In an interview with Screen Rant to promote the home release of the Academy Award-winning The Shape of Water, Jones spoke about the upcoming Hellboy reboot. Jones praised Harbour and revealed Abe Sapien may not appear in Marshall’s film. Jones said:

"I’m told that Abe Sapien doesn’t really show up in this first reboot movie, so for a minute here I’m kind of – I’m OK with the fact that I don’t have to watch somebody else do that role just yet. I’d love to see the first and how they set up now with David Harbour, who is a brilliant actor and sweetheart of a guy. We met at Comic-Con last year and we hugged it out – really nice to make that Hellboy connection with him."

Jones went on to offer advice to the next actor to play the character, imploring them to respect the comics. Jones said:

"If and when Abe Sapien does enter the storyline in subsequent movies, I honestly would not have any advice for anyone besides have patience with the make-up, but otherwise make the character your own. And, also, anytime you take on a comic book character you must know your source material. The fans depend on it, the fans will want to ask you about it. It’s an injustice to the fans of the source material if you don’t know it going in. And it will help inspire you performance on film if you know the comic books that you’re coming from."

Hellboy creator Mike Mignola recently talked about the upcoming David Harbour-led reboot film in an interview with io9. As Mignola revealed, the reboot is definitely not conforming to the tropes of a superhero movie, even more so than the previous Hellboy films did.

"Well, I mean, if anything, we’re trying to do something very different." Mignola explained. "Basically, there’s no part of Hellboy that was ever going to be like other superhero movies. And the more Marvel stuff there is, the more DC stuff there is, Hellboy never really feels like—even in the [Guillermo] del Toro things—a superhero movie. It’s so much “big teams of guys, in costumes, running around and saving the world from big cosmic menace stuff...” I believe the new movie will feel even less like a regular superhero thing. The idea with this one was to make it play much less like a superhero film, to downplay the superhero elements even more than del Toro did. This one is much more folklore/mythology/horror, and not 'big team rushing into to do battle with whatever kind of stuff.'"

For die-hard fans of Hellboy, this probably isn't too shocking of news, especially considering the unique qualities of the source material. Still, in the age of increased "superhero movie fatigue", it's probably comforting that the film will honor the source material.

"[The comics] seem much more macabre to me, they seem much more melancholy, they seem much more primal, more struggle, more angst," Harbour said in an interview earlier this year. "And I felt like those other two movies were funnier and brighter and kind of sillier in a way, which was great for what it was. But, I thought to approach this material in a different light and to do something completely different than what they had done."

Umm..... I don't know.  The 1st time I watched the trailer I didn't like it.  It's like he couldn't move his face with all the prosthetics, and the "hand" just seemed like styrofoam.  

Overall, I feel a little worried right now.

I'm a big Hellboy fan so I want this movie to hit a homerun.

Edited by gadzukes

On 8/29/2017 at 1:15 PM, Hawkman said:

Respect to Ed for doing this. blackwashing/etc does not exist, but whitewashing absolutely does and is very damaging. now, let's see who they replace him with...

I've never heard the term blackwashing but I'm assuming its casting a black actor into the role of a character that was originally a different race?  If so, I can think of at least a dozen examples. I personally don't like it when any literary or comic characters race is changed with just a few rare exceptions. Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption is one. I can't read that novella now without his voice telling me the story.  

On 12/20/2018 at 8:50 AM, AGGIEZ said:

That looks like a fun movie! I'd still rather Perlman, but given that he's like 70, I'll give this guy a chance. I love him in Stranger Things

Agreed, this trailer looked entertaining. I have to admit I've never read a Hellboy comic though.

On 12/24/2018 at 6:16 AM, Oddball said:

I've never heard the term blackwashing but I'm assuming its casting a black actor into the role of a character that was originally a different race?  If so, I can think of at least a dozen examples. I personally don't like it when any literary or comic characters race is changed with just a few rare exceptions. Morgan Freeman in Shawshank Redemption is one. I can't read that novella now without his voice telling me the story.  

Contrary to what Hawkman said, "Blackwashing" is ABSOLUTELY a thing in Hollywood now. It's not even debatable. 

10 hours ago, AGGIEZ said:
On 12/24/2018 at 6:16 AM, Oddball said:

Contrary to what Hawkman said, "Blackwashing" is ABSOLUTELY a thing in Hollywood now. It's not even debatable. 

Nick. Fury.

Nuff. Said.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Nick. Fury.

Nuff. Said.

lol  I have to admit being a huge Fury fan back in the day, I was really disappointed with Sam Jackson taking it.  But it would have worked for me if it were someone more suited for the role in my eyes like Idris Elba and if the backstory was that Nick Fury was just a mantle that was passed to the next worthy operative. Then have a scene where all the Nick Furys starting from the 60's to the current one have a meeting.  Yup, I'm a nerd.

I always imagined Robert Conrad in his prime during The Wild Wild West days being the perfect choice for Steranko's Nick Fury. 

Fury2.jpg