• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Things Silver Surfer & Galactus
4 4

74 posts in this topic

On 5/10/2017 at 5:55 AM, G.A.tor said:

You never forget your first!

all the oa I own is surfer related. 

The only childhood comic I still have is that ss1 my dad bought me in 1972 for the then same 25c cover price as it had been sold off the newsstands only 4 years earlier  

I would love to see a scan of that SS1 just to see how well it held up all these years-- I assume it is well read.

7 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I would love to see a scan of that SS1 just to see how well it held up all these years-- I assume it is well read.

I had it cgc graded. 6.5

On 7/30/2017 at 11:06 AM, namisgr said:

Thor169sale-1.JPG

I'm confused by how grading works.  How does a book with the date stamped on it receive a 9.6?  I've seen other SA books with stamps/markings on them that seemingly have no impact on the grade as well.  I would have assumed any sort of marking would bring down the grade, or that you would need a qualified label that says "stamp on cover" or some such.

4 hours ago, Timely said:

What if Galactus Killed the Watcher. Silver Surfer still leaves Galactus.

whatIf28pg37.jpg

(worship) The Surfer, Galactus, and the Watcher in one piece of OA! This would be a centrepiece in my collection for sure.

19 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm confused by how grading works.  How does a book with the date stamped on it receive a 9.6?  I've seen other SA books with stamps/markings on them that seemingly have no impact on the grade as well.  I would have assumed any sort of marking would bring down the grade, or that you would need a qualified label that says "stamp on cover" or some such.

such a friggin awesome cover ...

On 8/3/2017 at 10:00 AM, ExNihilo said:

they are treated the same way printing/production errors are-- in that they do not impact the grade up until the very highest levels. So that 9.6 might very well be a 9.8 or 9.9 if not for the date stamp. Some people hate em, some love em-- it is a matter of choice really. But in the overall scheme of things, they are an accepted part of the process that delivers the books to the buyer.  Doesn't mean you have to buy them or settle for things like this-- just that the overall condition of the book is not considered impacted by them.