• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Artists of TSR
1 1

98 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Agreed, I made a contact last week out of the blue that has a horde of art and may be willing to part with some of my little "spot illus" dream pieces.

Don't want to say more and jinx it =)

Otus interior illos huh?   Good luck!   I remember being offered one or two of those at one time.

17 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

Yeah, it's really weird.  the whole RPG art market, there's almost no circulation of the art.  I find it really weird coming from comic art.  And I see that there is some demand for it, but it's not easy to track down.

But on the flip side, there are chances you can reach out to an artist and they'll have stuff stashed in their closet from 30 years ago.

Not TSR/D&D, but Jonn Zeleznik still has quite a bit of his original art; some of which he even listed on CAF. A lot of it is really a product of the time, but I still couldn't resist picking up the one that to me was THE sci-fi RPG cover even though I never played the game but always wanted to (picture of the published cover). 

pic548918.jpg

John did some very nice stuff but he didn't have anything that meant enough to me to justify his asks when I talked to him.    I actually thought his OA for the San Jose sharks logo would be pretty cool for a fan of the team to have, but I'm not a fan of the team so didn't want to pony up the 7500.

Edited by Bronty

What exactly are those?  I know nothing about war hammer.   I thought they were those little statues, what is the art for?

It's a tabletop miniatures game, where you paint a ton of little army men, then play big games on 6 foot tables with them, using dice, rulers, etc. The artwork is from the rulebooks, all vintage 80s and early 90s stuff. 

5 hours ago, SuperBird said:

I've never seen any TSR art realistically for sale, but I have been able to collect a few Warhammer  / Games Workshop drawings over the years.  

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=91344

Man, great stuff. I loved me some WH back in the 90s when I couldn't afford much. This was at Woodbridge Mall in NJ, forget the name of the shop. Now I am older, established and still can't afford much ;)

When did they go from pricing by the material to pricing by what the damn character does. Its like, a single figure of a random grunt is X, but a single figure of some legendary hero with massive HP and powers (same amount of material and from what I can tell R&D) is 4x.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:03 AM, adampasz said:

I loved David Sutherland and David Trampier's stuff in the original Monster Manual. Their visualizations of the monsters were slightly crude, but so iconic...

fa4f14db22a6972526e4ae60ddb3ee29.jpg

219759fb5800acd661159cad448112c9.jpg

23f040ece3d373a4899cca71282cd91e.jpg

Here's link to more cool images: 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/300404237617190978/

I love the Troll design in that book. Probably my favorite monster design ever.

16 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

Yeah, it's really weird.  the whole RPG art market, there's almost no circulation of the art.  I find it really weird coming from comic art.  And I see that there is some demand for it, but it's not easy to track down.

But on the flip side, there are chances you can reach out to an artist and they'll have stuff stashed in their closet from 30 years ago.

Frank Mentzer recently posted on Facebook that he he just found the Elmore Red Box cover art and it had sold (pending) for a substantial amount (has to be mid 5 figures at least, probably higher than that). He also found the prelim of the 1st proposed version (attached). In Elmore's book he says that TSR would take all of the used production art and throw it away so they (TSR employees) would go dumpster diving for this stuff. The fact that any of this art is still around is remarkable. The closet comment really rings true.

18056355_1388768167869597_8977252003099829783_o.jpg

21 minutes ago, kbmcvay said:

Frank Mentzer recently posted on Facebook that he he just found the Elmore Red Box cover art and it had sold (pending) for a substantial amount (has to be mid 5 figures at least, probably higher than that). He also found the prelim of the 1st proposed version (attached). In Elmore's book he says that TSR would take all of the used production art and throw it away so they (TSR employees) would go dumpster diving for this stuff. The fact that any of this art is still around is remarkable. The closet comment really rings true.

18056355_1388768167869597_8977252003099829783_o.jpg

That is very cool! (thumbsu

I had the red box basic set (1983) as a kid, but, I started playing D&D in 1981 with the Erol Otus cover basic set that came out that year.  The Elmore cover is sweet, but, that whole 1983 set was just a bit too slick for my tastes.  I liked the 1981 set better, with the charming Otus art and, well, frankly lower production values.  It was all part of the charm; the 1983 set, with the more futuristic TSR logo, highly professional Elmore cover art, glossy book covers, etc. just seemed a bit corporate to me. 

Just now, delekkerste said:

I had the red box basic set (1983) as a kid, but, I started playing D&D in 1981 with the Erol Otus cover basic set that came out that year.  The Elmore cover is sweet, but, that whole 1983 set was just a bit too slick for my tastes.  I liked the 1981 set better, with the charming Otus art and, well, frankly lower production values.  It was all part of the charm; the 1983 set, with the more futuristic TSR logo, highly professional Elmore cover art, glossy book covers, etc. just seemed a bit corporate to me. 

Bingo! That's exactly how I felt about all of them. I think I started in 1980, but in earnest when that basic and expert set came out. The lo-fi early stuff is the top shelf for me. 

Next time you are in town I'll show you the hoard of unopened early D&D I've accumulated over the years. 

7 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Next time you are in town I'll show you the hoard of unopened early D&D I've accumulated over the years. 

:whatthe: 

Would love to see it - I have a number of unopened sets myself, but it's not a large enough cache to call a "hoard"!

Just now, delekkerste said:

:whatthe: 

Would love to see it - I have a number of unopened sets myself, but it's not a large enough cache to call a "hoard"!

Well it's a 40 gallon tote packed full of modules, sets, hardcovers, etc. And a 50 gallon tote of unopened D&D action figures. Everyone's hoard definition varies. lol 

5 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Well it's a 40 gallon tote packed full of modules, sets, hardcovers, etc. And a 50 gallon tote of unopened D&D action figures. Everyone's hoard definition varies. lol 

Sounds like a hoard to me! ^^

17 hours ago, Bronty said:

Otus interior illos huh?   Good luck!   I remember being offered one or two of those at one time.

Nope, not DnD related stuff.  Lucky for my wallet I played a lot of non TSR games when I was younger (and still do)

1 minute ago, delekkerste said:

Sounds like a hoard to me! ^^

Just added this in the last year. Mint, unplayed, untouched interior...the box is a bonus. Find this thing without its wings broken, much less mint, is the "white whale" of this series. 

Tiamat resize.jpg

25 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

My first exposure to D&D was the 1983 Box Set when I was 8, which my mother surprisingly bought for me when I saw it at the store (a rare occurrence). The kid that lived next door to me, who was my age, had a college age brother who had the 3 core AD&D books (it wasn't long until I had them too). So my nostalgia for that era is in the 1977-79 and 1983 periods. Here are some of my favorites from the PHB and DMG.

ottos-dance.jpg

add-banana.jpg

6027487d495873bbdee28a2f7c9f94bb.jpg

will mclean backsratcher cartoon DMG.jpg