• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Artists of TSR
1 1

98 posts in this topic

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, Pete Marino said:

Yeah, it's really weird.  the whole RPG art market, there's almost no circulation of the art.  I find it really weird coming from comic art.  And I see that there is some demand for it, but it's not easy to track down.

But on the flip side, there are chances you can reach out to an artist and they'll have stuff stashed in their closet from 30 years ago.

It's so true.  I've been around conventions and art a long time, and I can never recall seeing even a single piece.  With one exception: many years ago I actually saw the Monster Manual cover in person.  It took me a good few seconds to register without the title dress and, of course, I wasn't used to seeing the front and back cover at the same time.  That really kicked the Nostagiometer into the red when it dawned on me what it was!

Ok, bumping this thread. I was able to find Jeff Dee online and commission him for some art projects. The results were really great. 

Most people here know I have a theme of commissioned pieces called "Trophy Walls", mostly its a fun and economical way to get artists to really give me a great sampling of their work without being as onerous or as expensive as pieces containing several full figure characters or action shots.  Start here: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=727 and head to the six "Trophy Wall" galleries. 

So, I remember all of Jeff's great work from D&D, especially the Deities and Demigods source book. He did most of the great images for Norse and Egyptian pantheons. 

110198.jpg

85644_sm-Copyright%20Tsr,%20Deities%20Anthor+deities+and+demigods+dungeons+and+d

I commissioned trophy rooms for each of those two Mythos. The first one I was able to scan was the Loki piece he created. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1433280

You'll notice the tapestry on the wall bears a bit of a resemblance to the original source book, in posing, but with a different style. 

Much larger scan on the CAF link. 

5a00af89edf92_Lokitrophyroom.thumb.jpg.c0d2e3855c711aa2215d774b8d4da4c9.jpg

I liked it so much I actually did a quick mockup as how it would have looked as a classic 1e module. 

5a00afef3062c_LokiModule.jpg.cc61df187f7fbfb1b9d7d213ef2f27c0.jpg

Hi everyone. I found this thread thanks to comix4fun posting in The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?" thread. I am a big D&D fan and the last ten years I spent in Alaska, playing D&D 4E with my friends saved us from the darkness and boredom. Since then I've been more into Swords & Wizardry (OSR). I don't get to play much since moving down to Washington state. I miss it.

Anyway, I've been a fan of the TSR art and slowly learning about the artists who have worked at TSR. This whole thread has been very informative and interesting. Thank you all.

Last year at Emerald City Comic Con, I commissioned an artist to homage the famous Larry Elmore art from the redbox. I'm also a huge Transformers fan so I had the artist replace the fighter on the piece with a Transformer.

DnD01.thumb.jpg.2d41ae517a27f8994605b1802768d7ab.jpg

Found this thread with some help from another forum, was just great fun to read. Loved seeing some of the old art, it’s always been something I’ve loved. I actually meet my wife 22 years ago via my old AD+D group I had been hanging out with for years back in college. Even after marriage we played in a 3.5 group together for a year and still bring it out when an old gaming friend stops by. 

On 5/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, adampasz said:

I loved David Sutherland and David Trampier's stuff in the original Monster Manual. Their visualizations of the monsters were slightly crude, but so iconic...

fa4f14db22a6972526e4ae60ddb3ee29.jpg

219759fb5800acd661159cad448112c9.jpg

23f040ece3d373a4899cca71282cd91e.jpg

Here's link to more cool images: 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/300404237617190978/

My local library had this book... pure joy. 

On 11/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, comix4fun said:

Ok, bumping this thread. I was able to find Jeff Dee online and commission him for some art projects. The results were really great. 

Most people here know I have a theme of commissioned pieces called "Trophy Walls", mostly its a fun and economical way to get artists to really give me a great sampling of their work without being as onerous or as expensive as pieces containing several full figure characters or action shots.  Start here: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=727 and head to the six "Trophy Wall" galleries. 

So, I remember all of Jeff's great work from D&D, especially the Deities and Demigods source book. He did most of the great images for Norse and Egyptian pantheons. 

110198.jpg

85644_sm-Copyright%20Tsr,%20Deities%20Anthor+deities+and+demigods+dungeons+and+d

I commissioned trophy rooms for each of those two Mythos. The first one I was able to scan was the Loki piece he created. 

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1433280

You'll notice the tapestry on the wall bears a bit of a resemblance to the original source book, in posing, but with a different style. 

Much larger scan on the CAF link. 

5a00af89edf92_Lokitrophyroom.thumb.jpg.c0d2e3855c711aa2215d774b8d4da4c9.jpg

I liked it so much I actually did a quick mockup as how it would have looked as a classic 1e module. 

5a00afef3062c_LokiModule.jpg.cc61df187f7fbfb1b9d7d213ef2f27c0.jpg

So sick.

44 minutes ago, Tatterdamillion said:

So sick.

Thanks, 

Did I post the Egyptian-themed Deities and Demigods piece I commissioned from Jeff Dee? 

Similar thought as the Loki piece.....

1370507510_JeffDeeEgyptianFullFinalwithborder.thumb.jpeg.9916bf4925db31149519f1fe8f3d20ab.jpeg

1785805681_SetsTrophyRoomMockUpJpegFinalRevised.thumb.png.c254564d37154cda0167be7eb3ceb73c.png

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Thanks, 

Did I post the Egyptian-themed Deities and Demigods piece I commissioned from Jeff Dee? 

Similar thought as the Loki piece.....

1370507510_JeffDeeEgyptianFullFinalwithborder.thumb.jpeg.9916bf4925db31149519f1fe8f3d20ab.jpeg

1785805681_SetsTrophyRoomMockUpJpegFinalRevised.thumb.png.c254564d37154cda0167be7eb3ceb73c.png

Do you recall what commission level these were? 

2 minutes ago, cstojano said:

Do you recall what commission level these were? 

Checking his site, I believe these were the 12 3/4" x 16 1/2" Black & white cover, grey tones applied over a pen and ink drawing on illustration board

The artwork runs all the way to the edges of the paper, so it's an impressive sized piece. 

33 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Based on their stats, looks like Loki/Thor would make mincemeat out of many an adventurer }:-)

Yeah....I warn 'em upfront claiming it's for "Immortal Level Characters" lol 

45 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Checking his site, I believe these were the 12 3/4" x 16 1/2" Black & white cover, grey tones applied over a pen and ink drawing on illustration board

The artwork runs all the way to the edges of the paper, so it's an impressive sized piece. 

Thank you. Have been considering jumping in with a full color, just don't know what theme I want him to focus on. 

On 5/12/2017 at 12:59 PM, dgillock said:

Wow. Awesome piece (original I assume). I have been on the hunt for an Otus for some time. This is a very strong and memorable example.

According to my internet research, most of Erol Otus's originals were destroyed in a flood at his home some years ago. But he is still active in doing work for indie RPG companies so you might be able to find something more recent. His work is still stunning. He does seem to be kind of off the grid, though I believe he does RPG cons near where he lives. (When there's not a plague.)

On 5/11/2017 at 1:57 PM, Pete Marino said:

Agreed, I made a contact last week out of the blue that has a horde of art and may be willing to part with some of my little "spot illus" dream pieces.

Don't want to say more and jinx it =)

Once you've gotten what you're interested in, if the seller wants to part with any more, send 'em my way!