• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify this comic from an old photo

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, jools&jim said:

Anyway...I don't see a lot of '70s Kirby in this: for all his myriad innovations, Kirby (late period) mostly stuck with large spreads (single or double page) on the one hand, and traditional rectangular or square panels in various sizes and configurations on the other.  So the layout of that left-hand page in particular--if it is from the mid/late 1970s--seems just a bit  too unconventional for him, especially that large figure or object in the upper left-hand corner that "bleeds" across and down the page. 

I agree with this. In all the Kirbys I've plowed through in the past week, I've never come across a panel layout of his that's reminiscent of the left hand page in the photo.

1 hour ago, FlyingDonut said:

Someone pull Defenders 58. I'll bet its that.

Nope, just checked.

1 hour ago, jools&jim said:

As for DCs, Mister Miracle 23 or New Gods 17 look like good candidates...

Just checked. No go.

1 hour ago, joe_collector said:

I'm thinking that might be The Vanisher and it could be Champions 17.

Not Champions 18, but I appreciate all the suggestions!

The more I look at the top left quadrant of that left-hand page, the more I see a human figure in an action pose below and to the right of that large "Watcher head". 

A cropped image of the page with the "figure" I see very roughly outlined in red is attached -- with both arms outstretched, and with an "energy blast" coming out of the end of the arm closest to the Watcher head, it kinda-sorta looks like Scorpio to me, or maybe someone getting ready to throw a grenade.

As someone else said, it's probably a massive case of pareidolia, but ya never know...

imageproxy-copy.jpg

Edited by jools&jim

46 minutes ago, joe_collector said:

In the end, it's probably going to turn out to be some weird Charlton book no one has read in 40 years.

And that is my biggest fear. While I don't remember owning many Charlton, Red Circle, etc., I did have a pretty decent collection of Atlas/Seaboard titles. 

3 hours ago, jools&jim said:

The more I look at the top left quadrant of that left-hand page, the more I see a human figure in an action pose below and to the right of that large "Watcher head". 

A cropped image of the page with the "figure" I see very roughly outlined in red is attached -- with both arms outstretched, and with an "energy blast" coming out of the end of the arm closest to the Watcher head, it kinda-sorta looks like Scorpio to me, or maybe someone getting ready to throw a grenade.

As someone else said, it's probably a massive case of pareidolia, but ya never know...

imageproxy-copy.jpg

Now you're drivin' me freakin' :insane:

11 hours ago, MachoGrande said:

And that is my biggest fear. While I don't remember owning many Charlton, Red Circle, etc., I did have a pretty decent collection of Atlas/Seaboard titles. 

The time frame is wrong for those. I'm leaning strongly towards Defenders. The Giffen Scorpio run would have been right around that time period. 

Ok, here are a couple of guesses: Captain Marvel #38 or 39; Marvel Team-Up #127 - All three feature the Watcher (and I think that's the best visible clue we have, uh since I came up with it . . . .) lol

14 minutes ago, bronze_rules said:

Don't have a lot of time to double check, as I am off to the airport to catch a plane... but I believe it is from....

Reveal hidden contents

What if 5

330b6n9.jpg

I am… speechleess.
Indeed… "Bronze rules"!

5 hours ago, bronze_rules said:

Don't have a lot of time to double check, as I am off to the airport to catch a plane... but I believe it is from....

Now we need to know how you did it!!!!

Did you build on Divad's initial (and correct!) Watcher ID, and search through all Watcher appearances published, say, six months to a year before before the photo date given by the OP? Or did you actually recognize the page despite the massive levels of blurriness and distortion?

No matter how you did it, that was amazing detective work.  Bravo!

Edited by jools&jim

He made a intuitive leap of logic and rather than fruitlessly trying to decode that artifact-filled image, he stuck with the Watcher (which it clearly was) and understood that in that era, What If was really the Watcher's main gig and he really didn't guest-star on any consistent basis. Plus, you can tell it's a thicker, non-standard sized book (which is why I was thinking it might be a Charlton or something with their shingle-like paper quality), which again points to the square-bound What If series.

It was good work, and like many of us, I made the mistake of concentrating on the artifacts on the image too much. bronze_rules didn't and went for the glory.

Edited by joe_collector

On 5/9/2017 at 7:27 PM, MachoGrande said:

Help identify this comic from an old photo

I was recently gifted a box of family photos that included a photo of myself from February 1978. I'm in my room reading a comic that I can't remember or identify. Here's a scan: 

m0dXw+

Any eagle-eyed bronze age fans recognize anything from these pages? It appears there's dude in the upper left corner of the left hand page wearing a high-collared...robe? Maybe? And in the middle panel on the right, another dude with arched eyebrows? I'm drawing a complete blank. I was reading everything Marvel and DC at this point, and had a pretty decent collection starting from 1973 onward. I did have a few silver age books that I picked up at garage sales, flea markets etc, so it's possible it's older. 

Any help would be appreciated.

330b6n9.jpg

just to put them side by side for comparison.