• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best Earth-2 Stories of the Bronze Age/Copper Age
2 2

23 posts in this topic

Best Earth-2 Stories of the Bronze Age

Greetings,  I've decided that I want to focus a bit on DC's Earth 2 stories.  More specifically, the later era after the Silver Age.  Post Flash meets Flash and stories like that.    I've loved what DC did to some of the heroes of that era, Robin growing up, the Huntress, Clark and Lois marrying.  I've been grabbing All Star Squadron's, but what are some other stories or books should I pick up?  Thanks!

Edited by Brewcrewfan77

1 hour ago, Brewcrewfan77 said:

Best Earth-2 Stories of the Bronze Age

Greetings,  I've decided that I want to focus a bit on DC's Earth 2 stories.  More specifically, the later era after the Silver Age.  Post Flash meets Flash and stories like that.    I've loved what DC did to some of the heroes of that era, Robin growing up, the Huntress, Clark and Lois marrying.  I've been grabbing All Star Squadron's, but what are some other stories or books should I pick up?  Thanks!

I've always been a fan of the JLA/JSA team-ups.  The 3 part story (Bronze Age) in Justice League 100-102 was a favorite.  Also the crossover with the JSA in Justice League 107-108 (which re-introduced the old Fawcett characters) was great.

Mentioning that you like All-Star Squadron, which started in 1981, a nice Earth 2 story from just a couple of years later is Brave and Bold 197, from the often-debated Bronze / Copper transition period.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Mentioning that you like All-Star Squadron, which started in 1981, a nice Earth 2 story from just a couple of years later is Brave and Bold 197, from the often-debated Bronze / Copper transition period.

^^

Sure, not Bronze, but that was the one that immediately jumped in my mind. Love that issue.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

^^

Sure, not Bronze, but that was the one that immediately jumped in my mind. Love that issue.

B&B 197 was a good one, as was an earlier Alan Brennert story: "Interlude on Earth-2" which featured the adult Robin of Earth-2, with appearances by the Ted Knight Starman, and the Kathy Kane Batwoman.

4036.jpg

Alan Brennert's a very underrated comic book writer.  Not exactly prolific, but quality.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/13/2017 at 0:47 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Alan Brennert's a very underrated comic book writer.  Not exactly prolific, but quality.

He is.  He didn't have a lengthy comic career but they are some great stories.  Especially like how he snuck in a reference to Supergirl in the Post Crisis Deadman Christmas Special.

If you're going to get B&B #197, then you also need Superman Family #211, DC Super-Stars #17, All-Star Comics #69 and 70, and then Adventure Comics #461-463.

That's basically the Earth-2 Batman & Catwoman relationship, and the beginning of the Huntress.

You should really read this. It has a story of a Mild-mannered reporter (Clark Kent) finding out who was the first masked hero. Very interesting and somewhat touching.

Golden_Age_Secret_Files_and_Origins_1.jpg

Edited by vane0326

3 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Pick up the 1'st issue special with Dr. Fate; not too well known but great artwork.

Not that obscure for Bronze Age collectors, as it's well-known to contain some really nice Walt Simonson artwork.

My favourite issue from that title, featuring one of my favourite characters.

On 5/16/2017 at 2:33 PM, bane said:

I'm also a JSA fan. Here's my run...

AdventureDCDollarComics_zps38f83f5d.jpg

DOC041216-04122016060334-0001_zpsokgyi2c

DOC041216-04122016060348-0001_zpsjihmdad

Awesome Books.  

I would love to buy a copy of Adventure Comics 461 in 9.8. very tough book.

If you ever decide to sell, let me know...

Congrats!

Anthony

Edited by Antonio
Typo

On 5/10/2017 at 8:48 AM, boomtown said:

Also the crossover with the JSA in Justice League 107-108 (which re-introduced the old Fawcett characters) was great.

One of the very, very, very few DC books I bought as a kid - great covers and pretty cool stories.

I'm not familiar with this topic, but noticed Earth 2 in the title....and it brought up something that happened at my LCS. The owner said that Catwoman and Batman were married on Earth 2 ??? and I want to say that he said in '78-'79(?)(Bronze Age??) does this sound correct?? I was wondering the story behind it? or if it's easier to just tell me what issues that's cool, or maybe I'm off my rocker lol just with recent rumors in the MA of Batman, I was shocked to hear that this was already a thing :)