• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JACK KIRBY signature value?

11 posts in this topic

I bought a original owner collection recently and among the comics were a NM set of CAPTAIN VICTORY #1-5 with JACK KIRBY signatures on the first page. The original owner said he got them when he was at a Houston, TX convention in the late 1970s.

I'd like to ask if there is any value to them and how

do I get them certified? I know CGC does not confirm signatures unless they witness them but since Jack is passed how do I get them authenticated?

kirby-1.jpg

kirby.jpg

Edited by Dogsupreme
spelling

1 hour ago, Dogsupreme said:

I bought a original owner collection recently and among the comics were a NM set of CAPTAIN VICTORY #1-5 with JACK KIRBY signatures on the first page. The original owner said he got them when he was at a Houston, TX convention in the late 1970s.

I'd like to ask if there is any value to them and how

do I get them certified? I know CGC does not confirm signatures unless they witness them but since Jack is passed how do I get them authenticated?

kirby-1.jpg

kirby.jpg

It's a nice bonus, but the sigs don't really add any value.

8 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I am more interested in how he got a book published in late 1981 signed by Kirby in the late 70's.

giphy.gif

I would say the cost of getting a reputable authentication on these particular comics would on the average outweigh the marginal gain associated with an authenticated signature.

Even tougher to justify given the doubt created by the story of those signatures.

Edited by revat

5 hours ago, revat said:

I would say the cost of getting a reputable authentication on these particular comics would on the average outweigh the marginal gain associated with an authenticated signature.

Even tougher to justify given the doubt created by the story of those signatures.

It would definitely cost some money to get the signatures authenticated. What you posted looks like a legit signature, even if a confused seller didn't have his story straight. He could easily have bought the comics signed or discovered the signatures after buying the comics as back issues and decided he needed a story to legitimize the signatures. Still, there's no way to say 100% that they're authentic.

These are authentic, this is the way he signed a lot of books, it looks real, personally the value of a Kirby signature is really based on what it's on, a Kirby signature in a FF 1 is sure to bring the price up because this is a desirable book with a rare signature which makes it more cool but something like captain victory which is not known and not even from D.C. Or Marvel I don't think you will get anymore than $75 for that, and that is only because of the signature.beautiful though. I would keep it I love jack king Kirby 

It definitely looks like Kirby's sig.  Kirby's signature probably adds $75-100 to a comic like that which generally has little value, so not worth authenticating.  Now Kirby's sig on one of his keys can add a huge premium to a book.  Any #1 or megakey could add hundreds or thousands but it will depend on the key.