• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obscure BRONZE age characters 1st appearances
1 1

123 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Jay Scott Pike. At first glance I thought it might be Jim Aparo.

7 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Jay Scott Pike. At first glance I thought it might be Jim Aparo.

It's a pretty cool, odd book. And she did get folded into Aquaman mythos later on by Peter David but I don't know where else the character goes.

8 hours ago, Readcomix said:

It's a pretty cool, odd book. And she did get folded into Aquaman mythos later on by Peter David but I don't know where else the character goes.

She was in the Forgotten Heroes team, which I only recall being in a couple of issues of Action Comics and DC Comics Presents in the 80s. 

2 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

My favorite version of MANHUNTER!

Manhunter-1984-000.jpg

Not really obscure because it's considered one of the best stories of the 70s.

26 minutes ago, AGGIEZ said:

OMG that costume is almost as bad as Leifeld pouches and feet!! Almost. What does that guy have around his shins?!?! And are those elbow capes? :sick:

It's supposed to be Japanese-influenced, also with an exoskeleton component although more resembling extremely clunky leg braces there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 16/05/2017 at 3:03 AM, 50AE_DE said:

Brother Power the Geek #1, 1st appearance of Brother Power.  Brought back by Gaiman in the 90's to be a doll elemental in Swamp Thing Annual #5.

Pretty obscure, but dating from 1968, so wouldn't that be in the Silver Age?  Was it ever explained why BPtG was cancelled after 2 issues in the days when it seemed like every other series was allowed to run for at least 6 issues, to give time for the sales figures to come through?

Another obscure first appearance was in Daredevil #128, which introduced Sky-Walker from Starron - the most startling character in the annals of Marveldom!

300?cb=20080808204446

On 14/05/2017 at 4:15 AM, Readcomix said:

Cool character, "converted" to Devil Slayer at Marvel when the creator came over. I forget who, but it's Marvel Spotlight 33.

Demon Humter was conceived, plotted and drawn by Rich Buckler and scripted by David Anthony Kraft, who worked together on Marvel Spotlight #33.  Kraft also used Devil Slayer in Defenders #58-60, with many references to Blue Oyster Cult.  In 1981, Buckler revived Demon Hunter under the name Bloodwing in Galaxia Magazine #1 from Astral Comics.

Edited by Chaykin Stevens

On 14/05/2017 at 4:18 AM, Readcomix said:

Marvel Premiere thirty-something (Kav, li'l help here) first Woodgod.

Marvel Premiere #31, with a Kirby cover and nice interior artwork from Keith Giffen and Klaus Janson.

$T2eC16dHJIQFHHFscqOwBSGMr)b2UQ~~60_35.J

The following issue introduced another obscure character, Monark Starstalker by Howard Chaykin.

marvel.jpg