• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #252 help grade me please

24 posts in this topic

Action Comics #252 help

First time poster... I just picked up this copy and it has off white to tan, supple pages but has a tear at the reading edge as shown in pics. On the front cover it starts as a 1 inch tear but the last 2 pages and back cover have the tear getting bigger to just over 2 inches. the rip is in the right margin only on the interior pages, and doesn't effect the story panels. all pages are secure including centerfold. I have no idea on how this would effect the grade and am not sure if it is worthy of being sent to CGC. I thank you for any help/ opinions!   

Action1.JPG

Action2.JPG

Action3.JPG

Action4.JPG

Edited by James Polahar
clarification

Tears hurt you alot. I'm thinking 2.5 but with a press and clean maybe 3.5 if it can get the spine roll out and clean up the water spot. Definitely worth sending in to cgc, its a pretty valuable book even at mid to low grade. Good luck I look forward to hearing the grade if you do send it off

6 hours ago, Dino-Mutt said:

FYI, book has been graded and just shipped per cgc, I will post a grade with a picture of the slabbed book as soon as they arrive. Thanks all, 

The colors are more typical of Action 252s in the Fine or better range, so even graded 3.0, if that's the CGC result, you've got a winner here. At auction, this 252, at CGC 3.0 would bring a CGC 4.0 price, at the very least. Most low grade 252s look very drab by comparison, the colors here are spectacular.

I'll throw out a guess of a strict 2.5; maybe it squeaks out a 3.0. As nice as the front looks, I tend to think a rip that big through the pages is getting into 'affecting the structural integrity' territory. Even so, nice one!

You caught them on a good day, I was worried they would keep it down due to the long tear, but it looks like the press gave you some extra eye appeal, so they bumped you up.  :)