• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nickel City Con - May 19th -21st Buffalo, NY

19 posts in this topic

Buffalo's premier comic & pop culture convention starts one week from today, Friday, May 19th through Sunday May 21st at the Buffalo Convention Center. CGC will be on hand taking submissions for ON-SITE GRADING! Yes you read that right, CGC will be onsite grading at Nickel City Con next week. That's right for the 1st time in the Western New York region, you can have you books graded at the con! In addition there will be an excellent group of celebrities available for autograph and photo sessions including Captain Kirk himself William Shatner, Nichelle Nichols (Lt. Uhura), Billy Dee Williams (Lando Calrissian), and many more! 3-day passes are only $30 and single days are only $15! For more information and to purchase admissions, autograph and photo op tickets visit www.NickelCityCon.com

Edited by DACW

In general, how "late" can you submit books for on-site grading and still get them by the end of the con? Does it have to be on Fri or could you feasibly submit books on Sat morning as well? I know this can vary based on how busy CGC is and how many books are submitted for on-site grading, but wondering if anyone has a sense based on past cons with on-site grading? Thanks

For any Canadians who are heading over with their own books to be slabbed by CGC on site - the form you need to get with Canada Customs prior to leaving is the Y-38 - I was also able to verify that if you're crossing over the Peace Bridge to get over the Buffalo....in order to get the form and get your books inspected you have to stay on the extreme right side of the highway prior to the bridge - there's a lane that wraps you under the Peace Bridge itself and into the commercial area w/five lanes/booths (then you go to the counter with your books & get the form stamped)  

I think crossing over at Niagara Falls is a bit easier to navigate.

I attended on Friday.  CGC was very busy because of on site grading.  Saw some old friends and met some new ones.  Greg Reese, Filter, Harrison's (MA), and Dave / Adam's were set up for comics.  Reese and Filter had their amazing stash per usual.  I purchased 1 book and 1 piece of OA.  Traffic was light, but I'm sure with Shatner, it will be packed today.

9 hours ago, cupny said:

I attended on Friday.  CGC was very busy because of on site grading.  Saw some old friends and met some new ones.  Greg Reese, Filter, Harrison's (MA), and Dave / Adam's were set up for comics.  Reese and Filter had their amazing stash per usual.  I purchased 1 book and 1 piece of OA.  Traffic was light, but I'm sure with Shatner, it will be packed today.

Nope - still light.

Went first thing this morning..as I couldn't stay all day I ended up not bringing my book to CGC reholster as I was worried about time. In retrospect I probably would have been fine. Spent $15 on 6 books that I would have otherwise spent $60 on eBay w/shipping. Disappointed in the artists but my expectations were low anyways. Overall for a small local show I liked it....hoping next year there can be more focus on artists/creators 

6 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Did Filter have a booth?  Which one was his - the buy 2 get 1 free guy?

His wife Danielle was running it while Adam was dickering around at the HA auctions.

Saturday she was beside the D&A single booth along the wall.

1 hour ago, Ron C. said:

A big thank you to Bob Layton.  He signed several of my Hercules comics and then gave me a signed poster of that very same cover. 

Bob Layton Nickel City.JPG

congrats :applause: loved when he took over Iron Man when I was growing up always loved the way he drew him

16 minutes ago, Azkaban said:

congrats :applause: loved when he took over Iron Man when I was growing up always loved the way he drew him

I wasn't able to be there this weekend as both of my daughters graduated from colleges in different states . I am finally home after a 10 hour delay in D.C.

Bob was so friendly to the person that I had coordinating the signings. I would have loved to have been there, but some things are WAY more important!

Thank you to Cynthia Ritchie at CGC and Will Mason at DACW for helping me coordinate several hundred submissions!

Edited by Ron C.