• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Egyptian Queen for sale publicly
1 1

32 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, cstojano said:

I heard the rights coming along with the pieces isn't helping the affordability. How does one value the rights to the death dealer, for example? Not that I could afford a DD oil anyway, but if I could I wouldn't want to be burdened with the licensing rights. That's like paying to have to go to work in a way.

Yeah totally.    Sell your own T-shirts and mugs, Frank Jr!   The guy paying $Xm for that painting doesn't want that hassle.   

.......... and neither do you, which is why you want to do a package deal.

Jaguar God now up as well. I'd take this one over the other two any day, but likely am in the minority. The miniscule color prelim for this sold for just under 11k at Heritage this year. Couldn't believe it went that high.

I think those tiny prelims have been that kind of money for a while.  I remember a boardie asking 15k for one of those at a convention and another boardie accidentally mishearing it and charging 1500 instead of 15000.    This is in the early days of the boards, 2004 maybe?

I take that back, a review of heritage seems to show they were more like 5k at the time.   I guess the asking price was aggressive :insane:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-frazetta-original-preliminary-painting-thor-s-flight-undated-frazetta-typically-began-a-painting-by-rendering/a/807-9331.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I believe the Jaguar God prelim was even smaller, 3X4 as I recall. When things are this small every inch counts ;) I still thought it was awesome. Comicconnect has a prelim up (for awhile now) with a BIN of 5900, not one of the key paintings but still...Any guesses on what the DD5 prelim would bring?

Just now, cstojano said:

I believe the Jaguar God prelim was even smaller, 3X4 as I recall. When things are this small every inch counts ;) I still thought it was awesome. Comicconnect has a prelim up (for awhile now) with a BIN of 5900, not one of the key paintings but still...Any guesses on what the DD5 prelim would bring?

No real idea; I think something like that would be quite volatile and could do double on a good day what it does on a bad with no real rhyme or reason.    I'm also personally a little wary of manipulation shenanigans in that market right now with so much frazetta hitting the market and every data point being relevant to future sales.

On 5/16/2017 at 4:27 PM, cstojano said:

...Any guesses on what the DD5 prelim would bring?

Fairly recent and comparable, though the PIH piece does have a Fraz woman on it whereas the Clink one does not:

fraz_prelim.jpg

Edited by J.Sid
typo

It looks like the Death Dealer V prelim that is up in ComicLink is also currently for sale on ComicConnect with a BIN price of $27k.

Will be interesting to see how the CLink auction plays out.

...also just noticed the Doc Dave PIH piece had the full signature as opposed to just being initialed. This does make a difference to many Frazetta collectors.

Edited by J.Sid

I prefer the CLink piece in almost every way, though I didn't catch the differences on the signatures.  A similar prelim for the DD5 piece was being offered in the UK for around 11k GBP, which is about the same amount that the PIH piece sold for. That piece is gone from that website so I assume it sold.

A lot of bidders do not participate if there's not a woman in the image.

That being said, in the PIH auction a lot of collectors did not participate  because of complicated registration procedures and difficult payment requirements.