• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone seen an original Gobbledygook #1 (1984) for sale recently?

11 posts in this topic

"WELL...BEFORE WE BEGIN, I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT THAT YOU PROBABLY DON'T CARE ABOUT, BUT I PAID FOR THE SPACE...I AM GETTING OUT OF CGC BOOKS. BETWEEN THE COST OF GRADING, SLOW SERVICE AND THE "COLDNESS" OF THE BOOK AFTER BEING SLABBED...I'M OUT! I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND THAT I AM LOSING THE LOVE FOR THIS AMAZING HOBBY AND IT'S TIME TO GET BACK TO THE BASICS!"

Sometimes I feel the same way as this seller. Anyone else?

"WELL...BEFORE WE BEGIN, I HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT THAT YOU PROBABLY DON'T CARE ABOUT, BUT I PAID FOR THE SPACE...I AM GETTING OUT OF CGC BOOKS. BETWEEN THE COST OF GRADING, SLOW SERVICE AND THE "COLDNESS" OF THE BOOK AFTER BEING SLABBED...I'M OUT! I HAVE RECENTLY FOUND THAT I AM LOSING THE LOVE FOR THIS AMAZING HOBBY AND IT'S TIME TO GET BACK TO THE BASICS!"

Sometimes I feel the same way as this seller. Anyone else?

I contemplate cracking all my slabs on a regular basis.

The obsession on structural grade & the corresponding " value " can really suck the fun out of collecting.

Quitting slabs was one of the best things I've done hobbywise in enhancing my enjoyment of collecting. You can quickly get caught up in the slab hype of the moment and forget exactly why you're collecting in the first place. It's the comics first. I've learned the slabs detract from exactly why "I" restarted collecting again all those years ago. Nothing beats holding an old comic in your hands, with that unique smell, and skimming through the pages... cloud9.gif

Jim

Quitting slabs was one of the best things I've done hobbywise in enhancing my enjoyment of collecting. You can quickly get caught up in the slab hype of the moment and forget exactly why you're collecting in the first place. It's the comics first. I've learned the slabs detract from exactly why "I" restarted collecting again all those years ago. Nothing beats holding an old comic in your hands, with that unique smell, and skimming through the pages... cloud9.gif

Jim

Maybe you could start a new thread in general, and we could discuss " Quiting Slabs " in more detail.

thumbsup2.gif

I also have quit slabs......I am now focussing much more on production art and duck and looney tune books that I can actually read. I am actually going to liquidate my slabs to pay for the prod art.......and I feel much much much better for it. thumbsup2.gif

Great, thanks for hijacking my thread! Ha, I'm totally just kidding!!!

I'm with you guys. I buy the comic so that I can feel it in my hands. The only time I buy slabbed comics is to display a cool cover that I like, for instance: Sgt. Fury #13 or Dark Knight Returns #1.

Does anyone care about the #1 Turtles 2nd print? It was low distribution also.

If only they had put a different cover on the second print, and called it an RRP...

people would be selling their houses to buy one. poke2.gif