• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Store employee / owner dies after robbery
1 1

59 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gatchaman said:

They should be charging him with murder.

He will get some type of manslaughter at worse, he might get sentenced to 5 years and be out in 3 which is a complete shame

Decades ago, I worked for a retail chain and they had a seminar, where a retired professional thief talked about and showed how he robbed stores during working hours. 

One of the things he stressed was to NEVER chase the thief. He was about 6'4, athletically built, and he said whenever someone was running after him, he'd simply stop, plant his back foot and punch them right in the face. And then he emphasized, "That is the least damaging result from going after a thief."

He also pointed out that it wasn't OUR merchandise that was being stolen, so to risk your life for a big company, made even less sense. Now in the case of owning your own store, it has to be difficult to watch some little punk steal something and go running out the door and do nothing... so what should you do?

It's very sad... so pointless... if they actually catch this punk they should charge him with murder. His action led to the death of the person he was robbing. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Decades ago, I worked for a retail chain and they had a seminar, where a retired professional thief talked about and showed how he robbed stores during working hours. 

One of the things he stressed was to NEVER chase the thief. He was about 6'4, athletically built, and he said whenever someone was running after him, he'd simply stop, plant his back foot and punch them right in the face. And then he emphasized, "That is the least damaging result from going after a thief."

He also pointed out that it wasn't OUR merchandise that was being stolen, so to risk your life for a big company, made even less sense. Now in the case of owning your own store, it has to be difficult to watch some little punk steal something and go running out the door and do nothing... so what should you do?

It's very sad... so pointless... if they actually catch this punk they should charge him with murder. His action led to the death of the person he was robbing. 

The stories I read said that the thief was armed, which should help ramp up the sentencing as well.

Was it Clint that passed away? Really sad and tragic. Nothing is worth your life. I remember his shop from WAY back. Sadly crimes like this are on the rise all over the country these days. What kind of a scumbag does this to older people and women? They need to start catching these guys and post their punishments on Facebook as a lesson to others who might be tempted.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

Was it Clint that passed away? Really sad and tragic. Nothing is worth your life. I remember his shop from WAY back. Sadly crimes like this are on the rise all over the country these days. What kind of a scumbag does this to older people and women? They need to start catching these guys and post their punishments on Facebook as a lesson to others who might be tempted.

It was the store's owner , James Cavanaugh .

5 hours ago, mysterio said:

The stories I read said that the thief was armed, which should help ramp up the sentencing as well.

The store owner was the one armed. The thief ran into him as he stood in front of the vehicle with his weapon drawn and ordered the thief to stop.  The thief had stuffed the comics in his backpack and jetted out the back door of the shop into his vehicle..

James was vocal about being armed at all times and a lot of people figured he would shoot anyone who came in and tried to strong arm him..

the bystanders say the thief jacked "$20" worth of comics.  But, I wonder.  Because WE know a single comic can be worth a good chunk of change.
It is not proven what issues were taken I cannot see an owner running out the door and even bothering to chase $20 (all while leaving the shop unattended)
but for all anyone else knows they could have been any comic..I haven't seen anything specific like "He ran in and grabbed 6 new issues of the latest Batman" etc 

Police etc normally do not have clue what the values are beyond cover price.

Edited by Not*Sure*

8 hours ago, DougC said:

He will get some type of manslaughter at worse, he might get sentenced to 5 years and be out in 3 which is a complete shame

Felony murder rule says any death during commision of a felony is murder-the hit and run may be the felony.  

16 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

very true. my wife worked retail and she was told the same thing. never ever chase the thief out the door, not worth it.

Even better if the employees hold the door for em on the way out.  

10 hours ago, shadroch said:

No comic is worth killing or being killed for.

This might have turned out very different if the owner hadn't had a gun.

Exactly.  If he hadn't been holding his gun, he would have been able to hold and activate his anti-car force field device and this would never have happened.

8 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Exactly.  If he hadn't been holding his gun, he would have been able to hold and activate his anti-car force field device and this would never have happened.

It also might have turned out differently if he had been wearing a different shirt.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:43 PM, Domo Arigato said:

He may not have felt inclined to chase after someone stealing $20 worth of comics.

I knew James and I've shopped his stores for a few decades.  None of this story surprises me.

3 hours ago, Lego said:

He may not have felt inclined to chase after someone stealing $20 worth of comics.

I knew James and I've shopped his stores for a few decades.  None of this story surprises me.

Or he may have instead jumped in his own car and chased the guy into a bus full of kids, killing dozens.

Edited by Domo Arigato

Yeah, okay.  

1 minute ago, Domo Arigato said:

Or he may have instead jumped in his own car and chased the guy into a bus full of kids, killing dozens.

This is fun!

Yeah, okay.  

3 minutes ago, Lego said:

Yeah, okay.  

Yeah, okay.  

It would not be okay.....we're talking about a bus full of children!