• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few questions and tips for a big Signature Series next month
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hey boardies, I need some advice with Signature Series.  I have only done it once at Heroes last year and fumbled through the process at the booth. 

This year at Heroes I want to get a lot of books signed:

14 books all modern, signed by 1 artist.

3 Signatures on 1 modern book.

3 SA books signed by 1 artist

What is the best way to make this easy and smooth?  I am going to follow the guides for signature window/placement to speed things up at the table.  But what can I do at the CGC Booth?  Should I have the PDF forms on me and filled out?  Submit online form first before the con?

Also I know this will occur after price increase.  So if I am reading correctly, Modern will be $20 + $5 Signature Series?

I assume they will bill me later if I have my CGC account number, rather than paying upfront?

Thanks for any help provided

Edited by StingerMcK

5 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Hey boardies, I need some advice with Signature Series.  I have only done it once at Heroes last year and fumbled through the process at the booth. 

This year at Heroes I want to get a lot of books signed:

14 books all modern, signed by 1 artist.

3 Signatures on 1 modern book.

3 SA books signed by 1 artist

What is the best way to make this easy and smooth?  I am going to follow the guides for signature window/placement to speed things up at the table.  But what can I do at the CGC Booth?  Should I have the PDF forms on me and filled out?  Submit online form first before the con?

Also I know this will occur after price increase.  So if I am reading correctly, Modern will be $20 + $5 Signature Series?

I assume they will bill me later if I have my CGC account number, rather than paying upfront?

Thanks for any help provided

For SS, I wouldn't advise filling out the forms beforehand - an artist might not show up, you may change your mind, etc.  The best way to help the people working the CGC booth is:

a) have a plan - eg. know where the people you're going to are located, have your books ready to go

b) before going to the CGC booth check to make make sure that the artists are in their locations (people show up late, go to panels, etc)

After the price increase, the grading fee for a Modern SS book will be $30.

CGC is now charging people directly at the show even if they have a CS account (the booth takes checks, exact cash or credit cards).

Thanks for the tips!

A couple of more questions:  If there is a sig already on a book (allready there, non-witnessed) and then you get another signature that is witnessed, will the book qualify for yellow then? 

How are polybagged comics treated?  If the bag is signed, does that count for SS or does it need to be the comic only?

Thanks!

Only use the CGC witnesses at the booth as you will now be getting PM's from facilitators happy to take your books and money for a Fee.

13 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Thanks for the tips!

A couple of more questions:  If there is a sig already on a book (allready there, non-witnessed) and then you get another signature that is witnessed, will the book qualify for yellow then? 

How are polybagged comics treated?  If the bag is signed, does that count for SS or does it need to be the comic only?

Thanks!

1) If a book has an unverified sig and then gets another verified sig, it'll get the hybrid Signature Series/Qualified (green/yellow) label.

2) Books are removed from polybags before getting slabbed, so there'd be no point in getting the bag signed.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, mschmidt said:

CGC is now charging people directly at the show even if they have a CS account (the booth takes checks, exact cash or credit cards).

Just to be clear, does that mean you no longer have to be a CGC member (with paid subscription, able to submit books yourself) to get CGC SS done at conventions? You can just show up with your books, and pay the CGC fee at the booth? If that's the case, will they figure out return-shipping charges then, and you can pay those as well?

59 minutes ago, CKinTO said:

Just to be clear, does that mean you no longer have to be a CGC member (with paid subscription, able to submit books yourself) to get CGC SS done at conventions? You can just show up with your books, and pay the CGC fee at the booth? If that's the case, will they figure out return-shipping charges then, and you can pay those as well?

You never had to be a CS member to submit books at a show.

But, yeah, everything (including return shipping) is calculated and charged at the booth.

On 5/13/2017 at 5:13 PM, mschmidt said:

For SS, I wouldn't advise filling out the forms beforehand - an artist might not show up, you may change your mind, etc.  The best way to help the people working the CGC booth is:

a) have a plan - eg. know where the people you're going to are located, have your books ready to go

b) before going to the CGC booth check to make make sure that the artists are in their locations (people show up late, go to panels, etc)

After the price increase, the grading fee for a Modern SS book will be $30.

Thanks for the tips!  I don't mind taking the time to fill out the PDF forms at my leisure instead of at a hectic con.  I know who and what I am getting, and would rather make things easier.   Got my plan ready, window boxes cut and ready to go!

31 minutes ago, StingerMcK said:

Thanks for the tips!  I don't mind taking the time to fill out the PDF forms at my leisure instead of at a hectic con.  I know who and what I am getting, and would rather make things easier.   Got my plan ready, window boxes cut and ready to go!

There are no online forms for SS.  And my experience has been that CGC will only provide the hard copy forms to dealers outside of a show.

1 hour ago, somewhereintexas said:

There are no online forms for SS.  And my experience has been that CGC will only provide the hard copy forms to dealers outside of a show.

Darn, oh well.  Thanks!

discounts do not apply to any SS.

if you really wanted to get your hands on the CGC SS forms before the show, you can email CGC and they will send you some. You don't need to be a dealer for this. I have a stack of forms and found it helpful to prefill forms out and send it off to facilitators or friends who go to shows that i can not make it to.

1) Go to the booth FIRST thing and get a blank copy of the Sig Series form.  Just tell them you want to fill it all out before requesting a witness for the first round of drop offs.

2) Ask if they will have a witness stationed at the particular creators booth (if he/she is a "big name" they might).

3) Verify how they want you to deal with the one book that you are having signed by 3 people.

4) Ask them what your options are for the book that is already signed.  To my knowledge you can have it two different ways:

a)  Sig Series Verified (Yellow w/Green Stripe) - Book grading will NOT be affected by the un-witnessed signature and the label will read "Signed by [verified name] on XX/XX/XXXX and "name written on cover" (unwitnessed).
    b) Sig Series (Yellow Label) - The grade of the book will be effected due to the writing on the cover (un-witnessed signature) and the label will be the same as or very similar to what I wrote above.

Note:  If you fill out your invoice and one of the creators isn't able to sign your book, you can always scratch their name out on the "Signed by:" line.  I recommend doing this and NOT doing the "invoice cost" math at the bottom left of the form.  Let them calculate what you owe and will that section out at the booth prior to payment.  Also, DO NOT fill out the payment method ahead of time.  I lost a form once and had to cancel a credit card AT THE CON because I couldn't be sure if my CC info was in the wrong hands.  Because I canceled the card at the con I didn't have access to my ATM and wasn't able to use my card for any purchases the rest of the show.  I was borrowing money from my friends to cover signature fees and exclusives the whole time!!!  Ugh.