• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

This is unfortunate.  Hopefully it can be worked out as a legend like Starlin not being part of SS going forward would be awful.

Lesson there, receive money before giving the books back.  This is sad, the whole reason why I love CGC is because they help reduce forgers and the like, hope it doesn't spread.  Besides, who doesn't like quick, easy money for 2 seconds of work? :screwy:

Jerome

48 minutes ago, wombat said:

There is a thread on this in the sig forum. He apparently is saying in another facebook post he got stiffed on a CGC signing fee. And also is saying the CGC witness walked away and didn't actually witness the sigs. 

Isn't their policy with name creators that they don't need a witness on hand if the creator vouches for it when the witness picks it up? That was, I think, designed to be creator friendly.

Yes.  The books never left Jim Starlin's presence after they were signed until picked up by the CGC witness. If they would have left his presence they would be ineligible. He did sign the books but did not get paid.   It is a misunderstanding that can be fixed.

Edited by inthehottub

54 minutes ago, inthehottub said:

Yes.  The books never left Jim Starlin's presence after they were signed until picked up by the CGC witness. If they would have left his presence they would be ineligible. He did sign the books but did not get paid.   It is a misunderstanding that can be fixed.

How would CGC know if the books left his possession?

4 hours ago, divad said:

Good for him - it's a ridiculous scheme to generate even more money from manufactured collectibles. :whistle:

This is a bit harsh.  Sure, in the old days of comic conventions creators would sign books for free, and my recollection is they were thrilled to do so, and hear from the book owners how much their stories and art meant to them.  But now the comic collectibles market has grown exponentially, and creators want to get paid for adding value to the books they sign on the works they helped create.  If the Signature Series builds that market, helping the creators to sign more books and make more money, then it seems perfectly fine to me that CGC as the facilitator of the process should make money as well for managing the process and growing the market for authenticated signatures.

As for Jim Starlin, a creator whose work I especially loved when it was new, cool, and fresh and just hitting the newsstand, he can continue to sign books for fans without CGC being involved, and fans can still get the thrill of meeting him and having him autograph something that gave them joy.  No harm, no foul on anyone.

Edited by namisgr

7 hours ago, inthehottub said:

IMG_3122.PNG.edeb3c73419ec37e1b6e9f176b4b7f29.png

Completely uneducated about how CGC and the Signature Series program works.  No one at CGC is making a dime off Starlin signed books.  

I can understand his stance since it does not take much to push these guys over the edge, especially when they see the extra money their signatures bring. While we would like to think this is an isolated incident, unfortunately it's not. I have personally witnesses people fail to donate money to the heroes initiative after the artist said that was all they required for their signature. 

Edited by joeypost

7 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Seems a little unfair to punish the rest of the individuals for one person being a jerk but hey, rock on

No one gets a cookie! Adam Hughes and some other artists stopped sketching after one last person sold the sketch on ebay. One bad apple often ruins the bunch, true.