• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I feel like there is way more meat on his calling CGC a bunch of scam artist and all of us a bunch of dupes then him not getting someone's name from CGC or stiffed out of a few bucks.  The more and more I look at it from various angles the worse he looks.

I have to agree.  This is definitely a disproportional response.  Though not uncommon these days

Edited by SteppinRazor

7 minutes ago, SteppinRazor said:

I have to agree.  This is definitely a disproportional response.  Though not uncommon these days

I agree. But if CGC had practiced what they preached about how artists should be handled, this would have never happened. 

As I stated earlier, unless someone steps up big time, any chance of future work with Mr. Starlin will do the way of the dodo. 

Edited by joeypost

Just now, joeypost said:

I agree. But if CGC had practiced what they preached about how artists should be handled, this would have never happened. 

As I stated earlier, unless someone steps up big time, any chance of future work with Mr. Starlin will to the way of the dodo. 

Yeah, definitely could;ve been handled better (though paying him would have been a very nice gesture, not required to resolve the situation.  Any attempt to help him, within stated parameters, would've done the job, unless as speculated this has something to do with something else).

On 5/15/2017 at 4:34 PM, Marwood & I said:

They actually do that to mark territory, and it's usually an aggressive mark. As in, they will lock eyes on you & maintain eye contact while flinging the poo with their tail. That's a sign you are far too close to one of these dangerous beasts.

*themoreyouknow.jif*

-slym

3 hours ago, prez said:

Yeah, that sucks for collectors who has the yellow label OCD. However, I don't see why these fans can't still say "hi" and have a pleasant chat with him when they see him at a show. I know, life isn't fair.

With all the great things that Jim Starlin has done for the hobby and the enjoyment he brought to us fans, I think he deserves a little bit of our respect and understanding. 

What "great things" has Jim Starlin done for the hobby? 

No doubt, he told some compelling stories, and had above-average art to go with them. Some of my favorites, in fact (his run on Surfer is the best thing he ever wrote.)

And I'm not trying to be a jerk, here...I'm interested to know what "great things" Starlin has done. He created a lot of work, which he was paid for, and entertained a lot of people.

But are those things "great for the hobby"?

I consider Shooter's (or others, depending on whom you ask) advocacy of creator rights, particularly with regard to original artwork ownership, to be a great thing for the hobby.

I consider Martin Goodman's willingness...crusty old curmudgeon that he was...to let Stan fool around with superheroes again in the early 60's to be a great thing.

I consider Neal Adams' willingness to off Martin Goodman when advocating for creator rights to be a great thing.

I consider the Heroes Initiative to be a great thing.

I'm not sure, however, what Starlin has done that would be considered "great for the hobby."

1 minute ago, slym2none said:
On 2017-5-15 at 9:34 PM, Marwood & I said:

They actually do that to mark territory, and it's usually an aggressive mark. As in, they will lock eyes on you & maintain eye contact while flinging the poo with their tail. That's a sign you are far too close to one of these dangerous beasts.

*themoreyouknow.jif*

It just seemed appropriate to the thread Slym. Big beasts who are full of it and like to throw it around :headbang:

3 hours ago, prez said:

Man, these CGC fanboys need to grow some kahunas...

mal-speechless.gif

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

No doubt, he told some compelling stories, and had above-average art to go with them. Some of my favorites, in fact (his run on Surfer is the best thing he ever wrote.)

And I'm not trying to be a jerk, here...I'm interested to know what "great things" Starlin has done. He created a lot of work, which he was paid for, and entertained a lot of people.

I consider Shooter's (or others, depending on whom you ask) advocacy of creator rights, particularly with regard to original artwork ownership, to be a great thing for the hobby.

I consider Martin Goodman's willingness...crusty old curmudgeon that he was...to let Stan fool around with superheroes again in the early 60's to be a great thing.

I consider Neal Adams' willingness to off Martin Goodman when advocating for creator rights to be a great thing.

I'm not sure, however, what Starlin has done that would be considered "great for the hobby."

Man, I don't want to debate with you. You're nothing more than a keyboard warrior. 

Just to nip this in the bud, I am changing my initial comment to:

Yeah, that sucks for collectors who has the yellow label OCD. However, I don't see why these fans can't still say "hi" and have a pleasant chat with him when they see him at a show. I know, life isn't fair.

With all the MEDIOCRE things that Jim Starlin has done for the hobby and the enjoyment he brought to us fans, I think he deserves a little bit of our respect and understanding. 

Happy?

2 hours ago, 1Cool said:

"I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed."

Where does he want that info listed?  Big banner in the SS description?  A picture of Starlin with a big crossed out x mark? 

054.jpg

3 minutes ago, prez said:

Man, I don't want to debate with you. You're nothing more than a keyboard warrior. 

Just to nip this in the bud, I am changing my initial comment to:

Happy?

Nothing more than a keyboard warrior...?

Huh. And here I thought I was a suave, debonaire lady's man, too.

Drat.

However...I'll gently point out that if one doesn't want debate, one might not put comments out there that inspire it, no...?

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

Nothing more than a keyboard warrior...?

Huh. And here I thought I was a suave, debonaire lady's man, too.

Drat.

However...I'll gently point out that if one doesn't want debate, one might not put comments out there that inspire it, no...?

I'll debate with people just not with you. Now, leave me alone...

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed.

:roflmao: That's some good legal speak right there.  I'm no lawyer, but I could have written up this drivel in 5 minutes. 

All this over 3 books and some questionable PR and Customer Service moves?  I agree that Starlin should be able to sign what he wants, but this is a joke.

"I'm sending you this cease and desist letter, but please do me a favor and provide me some free advertising on your website while denouncing your own product"

I would really love to see a line form at his booth at his next show of a few dozen people asking him for CGC SS requests.

47 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Well...I would say that... what Starlin did was create some of the coolest comics of the mid to late 70's... books that many people hold very near and dear, for nostalgic reasons... they were special, and it resonated because of it. 

He did it at a time when the money to do it wasn't much, especially for a freelancer... $15-20 a page... adjusted for inflation about $1769 a month on the high end, BEFORE TAXES...

He did it for the love of doing comics, and I think that shows through, especially in that early work.

And I think that was great for comics.

2 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Well...I would say that... what Starlin did was create some of the coolest comics of the mid to late 70's... books that many people hold very near and dear, for nostalgic reasons... they were special, and it resonated because of it. 

He did it at a time when the money to do it wasn't much, especially for a freelancer... $15-20 a page... adjusted for inflation about $1769 a month on the high end, BEFORE TAXES...

He did it for the love of doing comics, and I think that shows through, especially in that early work.

And I think that was great for comics.

I think people would do well to remember that all a creator "owes" us as fans, is the best work they are capable of doing at the time they're doing it. Everything else is gravy 2c

1 minute ago, Logan510 said:

I think people would do well to remember that all a creator "owes" us as fans, is the best work they are capable of doing at the time they're doing it. Everything else is gravy 2c

I like gravy 2c