• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Starlin hates CGC!
3 3

819 posts in this topic

Jim Starlin hates CGC!

I don't know how to quote from Facebook but it appears Jim Starlin will not sign anything if CGC is involved.  He post on his Facebook page that he does not see the point in charging to authenticate a signature.  Any chance this view will spread?   No chance Neal Adams or Stan are going to pass up on some cash but will other guys not sign if CGC reps are present?

"If the book is signed by me, it's been at a convention, and you've seen me sign it."

Actually, not every comic fan enjoys going to conventions.  :whatthe:

For better or for worse, I don't enjoy being in a room full of people milling around, shoulder to shoulder.

That doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to have a book signed by a creator as well.  CGC seems like a reasonable way for me to do this.

I pay a little extra, but I know what I'm getting is legit.

Sometimes, a business exists because it's filling a vacuum, sometimes it exists to meet demand, and sometimes it creates new revenue streams by putting a price on something that didn't have a price before.  Creators signing books and being photographed with fans used to be free too.  Refusing to participate in something because you find it ridiculous is great, but it seems like something different to announce your refusal as opposed to just not doing it.

1 minute ago, SteppinRazor said:

but it seems like something different to announce your refusal as opposed to just not doing it.

well, obviously Starlin is a bit peeved about the whole thing but announcing it avoids problems and lets his fans know the situation. His signature is really a jumbled mess and I have a bunch from pre-CGC days. He used to sign in pen and often inside the book for me. Sounds like he is on the offensive here so something must have happened to push him over the edge. Not saying his reaction is justified or not, I have no idea.

Quite possibly something happened to make it more than just pulling a Bartleby.

I'm not saying he's not justified or doesn't have a point, the whole economy is full of monetizing stuff that some would believe absurd.

Edited by SteppinRazor

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

this is a shame.

I agree, especially with stuff he worked on becoming more and more important to the Marvel movies. The Infinity series and Adam Warlock coming would likely result in a lot more books for Jim to sign. He cannot control the sig verification that the other guys do though, so perhaps with more thought he will reconsider his approach.

9 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

SS is all about the resale, I don't see the point of autographs, and what's sad is that they aren't that valuable unless the person is dead. I just shake my head at these eBay buyers paying X amount of thousands of dollars to get some of these signed books

To be fair, grading at all is all about the resale, even if it's by a grandkid or something.  I've never really seen the point of autographs either (the book already has their names in it), and I don't get wanting to see a movie star walk a red carpet or get their autograph either.  But some people who do like autographs probably find the idea of a Ferrari stupid.

I respect Starlin for his stance, and willingness not to monetize his signature. And much as I love everything Stan has given us, and as genuinely nice as he is (I have interviewed him) I'm not paying him or anybody else to write their name down for me. That just make me feel as if I've moved from admirer of their work to sycophant.

I've always thought of autographs as one of those happenstance gee whiz things that come out of a genuine moment where you meet someone and want a little memento after a genuine encounter. I can't imagine standing in line to fork over cash to manufacture it.

And the only signature I want on a comic book is "Lamont." 

There is a thread on this in the sig forum. He apparently is saying in another facebook post he got stiffed on a CGC signing fee. And also is saying the CGC witness walked away and didn't actually witness the sigs.