• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning to grade - spine question

11 posts in this topic

Hi all.  Trying to learn how to grade better, so I don't waste time/money subbing the wrong books.

What do you think the grade ding is for this kind of thing (which is prevalent in a lot of my otherwise clean books)?  Right on the very edge of the spine:

learning to grade spine.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 7:32 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Hi all.  Trying to learn how to grade better, so I don't waste time/money subbing the wrong books.

What do you think the grade ding is for this kind of thing (which is prevalent in a lot of my otherwise clean books)?  Right on the very edge of the spine:

What are we supposed to be looking at on the edge of the spine? I don't see what issue you're talking about.

12 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

What are we supposed to be looking at on the edge of the spine? I don't see what issue you're talking about.

Sorry, I'll try a closer in shot with an arrow, but yes, on the very edge of the spine, right where front cover meets back cover.

(incidentally I guess it's a good sign you can't tell (shrug))

EDIT:  Here it is

Edited by SteppinRazor

1 hour ago, LDarkseid1 said:

I still can't see anything haha.

:bigsmile:That white line that runs the edge.  I don't know if it's considered a color break, or the fact that it literally is the fold means it's okay.

Almost all of my books are CA/modern, so I know they basically have to be perfect.  Getting up into the tenths of a 9.x seems a lot more difficult to tell than the lower grades.

Edited by SteppinRazor

the type of paper used to make the covers on comics of today when folded it tends to crack.

Typically CGC does not impact the grade due to this issue, BUT it also depends on the severity of it.

There is a thread in the grading issues section on this topic, but not a lot of comments in it.

***edit

found it

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/17/2017 at 2:38 PM, SteppinRazor said:

Sorry, I'll try a closer in shot with an arrow, but yes, on the very edge of the spine, right where front cover meets back cover.

(incidentally I guess it's a good sign you can't tell (shrug))

EDIT:  Here it is

Agreed as others have said. It is some what common on modern books. However once it starts "fraying" like it looks like might be the case to the left of the arrow it can start impacting the grade. Depending on how the rest looks it might be a 9.6 instead of a 9.8

I've been wondering the same thing, I have a few comics that have this same type of wear and didn't know how it would affect grading. I almost prefer a copy like yours where it is consistent across the spine. This Rick and Morty #1 has it randomly across the spine, not a perfect book anyway but this makes me less convinced it's worth grading.

RMspine.jpg

RMspine1.jpg