• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLASSIC X-MEN question

44 posts in this topic

On 1/14/2018 at 1:03 PM, FineCollector said:

So is this a run that can be assembled out of dollar bins, or do dealers demand better money for the later issues?

I remember having to pay around 4 to 5 dollars each for copies of 1-10 around 1989-90.  That was a lot of money for a 11 year old.  There was even a point when #39 was going for around 10 dollars in that same era.  Now though I could easily pull anything but #1 from the dollar box in my LCS in nm condition.  This title has suffered the same fate price-wise as many late copper era issues with great stories and art, but really high print runs( like Liefield NM's, McFarlane ASM's, and Jim Lee PWJ's).  Back then I remember the art as being a primary reason why a certain title was hot or not.  This was before the market was saturated with Image product and imitators though.  When PWJ 6 and 7 and the #39 came out, a Jim Lee Wolverine story was still a special thing.  With art not being nearly as important now and those high print runs,  you get what we have now. 

10 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I remember having to pay around 4 to 5 dollars each for copies of 1-10 around 1989-90.  That was a lot of money for a 11 year old.  There was even a point when #39 was going for around 10 dollars in that same era.  Now though I could easily pull anything but #1 from the dollar box in my LCS in nm condition.  This title has suffered the same fate price-wise as many late copper era issues with great stories and art, but really high print runs( like Liefield NM's, McFarlane ASM's, and Jim Lee PWJ's).  Back then I remember the art as being a primary reason why a certain title was hot or not.  This was before the market was saturated with Image product and imitators though.  When PWJ 6 and 7 and the #39 came out, a Jim Lee Wolverine story was still a special thing.  With art not being nearly as important now and those high print runs,  you get what we have now. 

Yup I'll add to that Dave Stevens with Rocketeer.. I was touching up on that a little on the modern section. When a Rocketeer book came out it was a HUGE deal, same as it was with back then Art Adams announced for a book or annual.. The fans were there for the art

2 minutes ago, srezvan said:

I'll revive this thread to share my recent acquisition. #1/100 print with original head sketch by Arthur Adams.

1298229324_ArthurAdams08.thumb.jpg.812d6d39258dc6f17b87fcc060f2efa4.jpg

That is pretty sweet! Seems I don't give Arthur Adams enough credit...

But then again ever since his con visit to Dallas, seems I get the Adams and the kuberts mixed up...:$