• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLASSIC X-MEN question

44 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

The first issue was the best selling Marvel comic for that month. Pretty impressive for a reprint. By the end I don't even remember seeing it at my LCS anymore.

One of the big differences is that the first few dozen issues had an original backup story in addition to the reprinted material. At some point they dropped the new material, so basically the only thing that was new was the cover. Basically it became the X-Men version of Marvel Tales at that point.

13 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

One of the big differences is that the first few dozen issues had an original backup story in addition to the reprinted material. At some point they dropped the new material, so basically the only thing that was new was the cover. Basically it became the X-Men version of Marvel Tales at that point.

Minus the Spider-Ham backup stories

23 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Just a matter of time before these books start getting some cover love.

There's a terrific run of Mike Mignola and Adam Hughes covers towards the end of the series, and I snap them up whenever I see them. I'd imagine the AH covers will take off in time.

8 hours ago, F For Fake said:

There's a terrific run of Mike Mignola and Adam Hughes covers towards the end of the series, and I snap them up whenever I see them. I'd imagine the AH covers will take off in time.

I was never a big fan of Mignola's superhero stuff. His style doesn't work well for that. But there is one mutant book he worked on that's worth a little spec love… but not because of his work.

9 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I was never a big fan of Mignola's superhero stuff. His style doesn't work well for that. But there is one mutant book he worked on that's worth a little spec love… but not because of his work.

Well, Mignola and Hughes are two of my personal Top 5 Artists, so I pick them up whenever I see them because I love them, and want moar. Not really concerned about the spec situation, but I certainly don't mind when books take off.

Some Mignola work I adore is the covers to Detective 583, Alpha Flight 33 and 34, Punisher 6, and the Death in the Family stuff.  

In my opinion he fell victim to the same thing that Art Adams, JR JR, Frank Miller, and Byrne succumbed to.  Their art just became way too stylized and increasingly they tried to reinforce their particular style rather than simply drawing something that looks awesome.  In effect, their art became too simplistic, barren (cartoony?) as opposed to their earlier work which adhered to more objective and universal  (realistic?) standards of beauty.  That is at least the case on the first three.

In Byrne's case his work just got sloppy.  Maybe the absence of the awesome Terry Austin inks was more to blame for that.  Again, this is all just my opinion.  I still like much of the work that JR JR and Adams do (but not Miller).  It is just that sometimes I wish that they could channel some of the qualities of their earlier, more busy work. 

Edited by Von Cichlid

9 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

In fairness, anything is a step down from AAdams cover run on that series

I should have worded my opinion better.  I really do like those Mignola covers.  My favorite era for him though was his Detective 583, Batgirl 1, Death in the Family era.  His work was becoming ever so slightly too minimalist for my tastes about that time, but no doubt about it those covers were still fantastic.  

Here is some numbers to quantify things on a scale of 10:

Adams covers:  10

Lightle covers:  9.8

Mignola covers:  9.5

BTW, those Lightle covers really are as classy as comic art gets.  Issues 39, 40, 41 (love the yellow), and 42 are particularly brilliant.  Probably some nostalgia here as those were the issues I bought when I first got into comics and they were my first exposure to those stories.  Maybe since the Mignola covers are on the issues that are not as good as the classic Byrne era is some subconscious reason for me not liking those as much.

9 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

I should have worded my opinion better.  I really do like those Mignola covers.  My favorite era for him though was his Detective 583, Batgirl 1, Death in the Family era.  His work was becoming ever so slightly too minimalist for my tastes about that time, but no doubt about it those covers were still fantastic.  

BTW, those Lightle covers really are as classy as comic art gets.  Issues 39, 40, 41 (love the yellow), and 42 are particularly brilliant.  Probably some nostalgia here as those were the issues I bought when I first got into comics and they were my first exposure to those stories.  Maybe since the Mignola covers are on the issues that are not as good as the classic Byrne era is some subconscious reason for me not liking those as much.

Well worded. I love both AAdams & MMignola 80s work. Nothing past 1990 really. 

Little known fact- AAdmas & Mignola shared a studio back in the 80s which is why their art probably complimented each others back then. 

My first introduction to Mignolas work and actually my favorite work by him which was in First's Chronicles Of Corum. Brilliant art

IMG_0125.JPG

On 12/25/2017 at 2:47 AM, Von Cichlid said:

Another classic by Lightle

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 12/28/2017 at 4:37 PM, Aweandlorder said:

Another classic by Lightle

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Sadly I don't have much Lightle stuff other than the Classic X-men, a Daredevil, some MCP, X Factor, and a few Conan's.  I definitely should do some research to see what I can find from him.  That would be a good, fun, venture that ought to not be too expensive.

What, no love for the AH covers??? Adams covers are copper classics, hands down, but I agree, Lightle's run was stellar. However, I only pick up the Mignola and AH covers when I see them cheap, and I buy all of them that I can find.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:16 PM, F For Fake said:

What, no love for the AH covers??? Adams covers are copper classics, hands down, but I agree, Lightle's run was stellar. However, I only pick up the Mignola and AH covers when I see them cheap, and I buy all of them that I can find.

In my opinion, those C X-Men Art Adams covers were the Frazetta Famous Funnies of our time. So rich in details and so dynamic. 

I loved all of his art in the 80s, but those covers were his best work to date for me