• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLASSIC X-MEN question

44 posts in this topic

CLASSIC X-MEN question

Ok. So I recently bought a huge stack of copper age books with nearly a complete run of CLASSIC X-MEN. At first I thought it was just a straight reprint of the NEW X-MEN run from the 1970s HOWEVER, there is NEW MATERIAL in it. Should it still be considered a reprint? Or does the new material change the classification?

That series is almost single-handily responsible for making me a comic fanatic at the end of the 80's / beginning of the 90's when I first got into them.  While the Uncanny X-Men of the era were still decent with the Jim Lee and Silvestri art they were nothing compared to the Byrne/Austin magic that was in those issues.  The Art Adams covers were always amazing and many of the John Bolton backups were good as well.  Steve Lightle's Dark Phoenix Saga covers were amazing too, in particular that issue 39 and 40-43 as well.  I always wondered why they skipped 141 and 142 in the reprints.  It was probably because that square bound reprint came out at around the same time.  

I liked the Mignola covers also but they were definitely a step down from the Adams / Lightle runs.  

^ He probably meant the 2nd work on X-Men.  I remember some earlier Alpha Flight issues he did and of course you had those PWJ's as well.  Lee's work on that back up story is great though.  The X-Men 248 was pretty good but right there is really when Lee hit his X-Men style that he was known for imo.  One could argue that PWJ 6 and 7 was were he found it as well.  I still can't say I have ever seen a better looking Wolverine than on those three issues.  Different maybe, but not better.

When I was a kid I bought Classic X-Men from the grocery store, and didn't know that the "backup" stories weren't part of the original comics. Hey, I was a kid. Kids are dumb.

Still, there's some super work in those backups. Well worth the read.

5 hours ago, Dogsupreme said:

Ok. So I recently bought a huge stack of copper age books with nearly a complete run of CLASSIC X-MEN. At first I thought it was just a straight reprint of the NEW X-MEN run from the 1970s HOWEVER, there is NEW MATERIAL in it. Should it still be considered a reprint? Or does the new material change the classification?

It's still a reprint title even if it includes some new supplemental material. Every issue's main purpose is to be a reprint, but they aren't just reprints.

On 5/14/2017 at 11:27 PM, Von Cichlid said:

That series is almost single-handily responsible for making me a comic fanatic at the end of the 80's / beginning of the 90's when I first got into them.  While the Uncanny X-Men of the era were still decent with the Jim Lee and Silvestri art they were nothing compared to the Byrne/Austin magic that was in those issues.  The Art Adams covers were always amazing and many of the John Bolton backups were good as well.  Steve Lightle's Dark Phoenix Saga covers were amazing too, in particular that issue 39 and 40-43 as well.  I always wondered why they skipped 141 and 142 in the reprints.  It was probably because that square bound reprint came out at around the same time.  

I liked the Mignola covers also but they were definitely a step down from the Adams / Lightle runs.  

There are a few other issues they didn't bother to reprint, but I forget the issue numbers.

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

There are a few other issues they didn't bother to reprint, but I forget the issue numbers.

I think it was a couple of filler issues like 106 and 110.  Those weren't drawn by Cockrum or Byrne, and I don't believe hey had Claremont writing either.  Their stories broke from the  current story lines as well.  One issue was about some villain named Warhawk and I couldn't tell you what the other issue was about.  The skipping of 141 and 142 was more suspicious to me because those certainly weren't filler.  For instance, the end of 140 has Blob breaking out of prison.  

10 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

I think it was a couple of filler issues like 106 and 110.  Those weren't drawn by Cockrum or Byrne, and I don't believe hey had Claremont writing either.  Their stories broke from the  current story lines as well.  One issue was about some villain named Warhawk and I couldn't tell you what the other issue was about.  The skipping of 141 and 142 was more suspicious to me because those certainly weren't filler.  For instance, the end of 140 has Blob breaking out of prison.  

That makes sense. And sounds about right; I do remember them being in the early 100s.

Just now, Von Cichlid said:

I think it was a couple of filler issues like 106 and 110.  Those weren't drawn by Cockrum or Byrne, and I don't believe hey had Claremont writing either.  Their stories broke from the  current story lines as well.  One issue was about some villain named Warhawk and I couldn't tell you what the other issue was about.

X-Men #106 was scripted by Claremont and had three pages of Cockrum art, but the rest of the issue was plotted by Bill Mantlo and drawn by Bob Brown.  It dealt with the team being attacked by an evil part of Professor X's mind. #X-Men 110 with Warhawk, an Iron Fist villain, was by Claremont and Tony DeZuniga. When Jim Shooter became Editor In Chief, he had every series prepare a standalone fill-in to run in case the Dreaded Deadline Doom struck, so as to avoid reprint issues.  When it became apparent Claremont and Byrne would have no problems with deadlines, they ran the fill-in to get it out of the way.

2 hours ago, Chaykin Stevens said:

X-Men #106 was scripted by Claremont and had three pages of Cockrum art, but the rest of the issue was plotted by Bill Mantlo and drawn by Bob Brown.  It dealt with the team being attacked by an evil part of Professor X's mind. #X-Men 110 with Warhawk, an Iron Fist villain, was by Claremont and Tony DeZuniga. When Jim Shooter became Editor In Chief, he had every series prepare a standalone fill-in to run in case the Dreaded Deadline Doom struck, so as to avoid reprint issues.  When it became apparent Claremont and Byrne would have no problems with deadlines, they ran the fill-in to get it out of the way.

I didn't know Claremont wrote those.  I do remember Firelord being in a little of 106, that must've been the Cockrum drawn portion.  I have the 106 but I'm missing the 110 from my run.  I'll have to read it in my omnibus hardback when I get the chance.